Mazda World Forum banner

Carpet Removal

7K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  jwgrusso 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I was wondering if anybody had a guide or could offer any help on how to remove the carpet in a 2002 Millenia base model.

My car got stuck in the Detroit flood last week and the carpet got really wet, luckily it was freshwater and the car was only in the water for around 8-10 minutes before i got it pushed out. The engine is working and everything but the carpet is wet and the car smells like a swamp.

I wanted to remove it and give it a really good cleaning but I'm not sure how to exactly. I know I have to remove the seats and center console but I don't want to miss any hidden screws or clips or anything. Any help is greatly appreciated guys.

I love my car and don't want to lose her. Thank you! :D

#2 ·
Just start taking things out from the inside like the seats etc. and it should be straight forward. It really is just moulding and seats and some ducts and electrical to be careful of. Plastic can be brittle so pull lightly and have fun.
TomK

#4 ·
yeah you will. rear seats are easy. shouldnt take more than 5 minutes. reach under the seat and pull the clip on both sides and pull the bottom of the rears out. Then the back of the rear seats is a few bolts. Self explanatory once you see the bolts holding them. Never took the front seats out but they're just bolts as well. My tan carpet is demolished lol.

#5 ·
So I found the service manual for a 96 millenia. The interiors look fairly similar and I'm sure there aren't too many differences. I think I'm gonna use it to help guide me.

You guys know if a 2000 millenia carpet will fit a 2002? I don't think I'll replace it but I'd like to know in case.

Might also take some pics and upload them here to show what I did.

#6 ·
So I removed everything, the carpet center console seats. And I'm currently detailing the interior.

I had one question though, no one I ask has a clue what this is on the door. It looks like a speaker or vent but I don't know. Anybody know? One on the drivers side is broken so I wanted to replace it if I could just figure out what it was.

Attachments

#10 ·
I think the doors themselves are the same for the years and it may just be a different door panel with the speaker. Easy to just take it off and see if it is connected to anything. It is a tweeter for the bose system.
TomK

#12 · (Edited)
For me, I'm stumped on the floor mounted accelerator pad. I've removed everything else, and that's the only thing holding the old carpet in. I'm a pretty big guy and I hate, hate, hate laying on my back and work on cars. I put a light down there where the Millenia manual says there are two nuts, but I don't see anything.

BTW, the Millenia manual doesn't say anything about the accelerator pedal as part of the carpet removal. It DOES says to remove the steering wheel, the dash and more to remove the carpet. I'm finding (so far) that's not true. Hopefully it will also not be true during re-installation of the new carpet.

UPDATE: I just pulled the carpet right out, around the pedal. It looks like I tore it while doing that. Not that I care about the old carpet, but I think I'll be making a long slice in the new carpet to accomplish the same thing in reverse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.