Motor Mount Knocking/Vibration Help (or maybe Control Arm Bushing?) - Mazda Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question Motor Mount Knocking/Vibration Help (or maybe Control Arm Bushing?)

I'm hoping for some help with my 95/96 Millenia S. 130k miles but before this year, the car sat for 8 years (only moved to mow grass).

My car had the symptoms of bad motor mounts and when I inspected the mounts it was clear that all of them were bad.
After reading for hours through the archives I figured I didn't need the oil-damped mounts and went with the cheaper solid rubber mounts (rock auto) but didn't have the time to install them.

I let the vibration/thunking get to the point where the symptoms presented themselves to some level at almost all rates of acceleration before breaking down and having a shop install them.

The bad motor mount symptoms were gone completely for the next 100 miles but have returned.
They currently present strongest while accelerating straight or on a left-hand corner but are still present on right-hand corners.

When held in drive or reverse and with the accelerator pressed there is zero noise but the motor and transmission mounts do have a little more give than I expected. The transmission mount shifts forward and back about 3/4 of an inch in either direction from rest, maybe it broke already?

Based on the archives I think it could also be the driver side control arm bushing.

Help please? How do you check a control arm bushing?

Last edited by rannoch; 12-14-2016 at 12:04 PM. Reason: the issue does present on right hand corners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 08:10 AM
MazdaWorld Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi rannoch,

I'm curious when the last time was that you replaced the front lateral links (mid control arms). The heim joint bushing generally wears out in them and then you will hear a rattle/thumping vibration at lower speeds going over bumps & uneven pavement. You can confirm that they are worn out by jacking up front of car and attempt to move wheel back and forth at the 3 & 9 o'clock location on wheel. If they're bad, there will be play and you ought to be able to hear the thump.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjockey70 View Post
Hi rannoch,

I'm curious when the last time was that you replaced the front lateral links (mid control arms). The heim joint bushing generally wears out in them and then you will hear a rattle/thumping vibration at lower speeds going over bumps & uneven pavement. You can confirm that they are worn out by jacking up front of car and attempt to move wheel back and forth at the 3 & 9 o'clock location on wheel. If they're bad, there will be play and you ought to be able to hear the thump.
Lateral links are the links used for alignment? I replaced those in August when I had the car aligned because the driver side link was bent and the car could not be brought within spec.

These are what I replaced:

I jacked up the car last night after posting and wasn't able to create any noise from suspension components.
---
Edit:
After driving the car this morning to work.
The thunking can be heard and felt with your feet on the floor/pedals but there is no shimmy or issues with the steering wheel (so the car feels fine).
Almost certainly coming from the driver's side of the car.
Going over small bumps made some noise.

I can't tell if the thunking is dependent on acceleration or motor speed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	linka.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	7417  

Last edited by rannoch; 12-14-2016 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Additional feedback.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Well at that mileage if you never changed the mounts I can guarantee all 4 are tossed. In my case the bracket that holds the bottom mount was broken, making very funny noises. And no low quality butt mounts are no good. Where did you read it? I went with all OEM and now after 70k miles I have some broken cracked I suppose.

2001 Mazda Millenia S 196k Brilliant Black

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

I could dig up the old threads but different folks talked about the shitty rubber mounts being bad because they transmit vibration from the motor but not about them failing immediately after installation.

That said, it was mostly a financial decision.
This Millenia essentially fell into my lap and I have no plans to spend over half the price of a decent used car on motor mounts.

Anyway, I'll pick up my ramps, inspection camera, and tools this weekend to see if the mounts failed.

I've always had good luck with rubber Beck/Arnley products and I figured that this would be no different.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

If the shop failed to install the rubber bushings on either side of the transmission mount, would that cause the mount to fail?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 07:01 PM
MazdaWorld Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm reading this thread with interest because I also have a 95 millenia with bad motor mounts. With the hood raised, I can see the motor move a HUGE amount when I put the car in gear. It's a 22 year old car with 200K, so.. Regarding suspension. Yes, your pics show the lateral links. My originals lasted 17 years. I replaced them 4 years ago with aftermarket Chinese. One just failed and I just put on another replacement (Moog this time, though also imported), so we'll see how long that one lasts. The first thing that I had to replace, though was the upper "leading link". It was making a huge racket on bumps. It's easy to see if it's bad by looking at the rubber on the ball joint at the very top of the wheel well. It it's shot, your leading link is most likely toast. Fairly easy to replace with the right loaner tools and PB blaster. I too don't want to spend a fortune on motor mounts, so will be interested to see what you find...

1995 Millenia 2.5L
196,000 mi.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Lateral link on the passenger side is still whatever was on there.
Lateral link on the driver side was replaced with one from Dorman, 522-291.

I got under the car today and got my inspection camera in there.
All the motor mounts are unbroken but I have a few questions about the CV joints/axles I saw down there.

I also disconnected the stabilizer bar link on the driver side.
First test drive: vibration was still there but not on mild acceleration.
Second test drive (to get transmission fluid): no vibration at all

I'm going to order new links and continue to drive the car to see if the issues come back once I've installed the new ones.

Are the exposed splines between the half shaft and CV joint in the picture normal?
On the other axle, is the oil seepage probably coming from a damaged/dried out transmission/axle seal?

Edit:
The knock came back this morning when I stopped harder than usual for a red light...
It went away after going over some train tracks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	driver side axle (1).jpg
Views:	17
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	7506   Click image for larger version

Name:	passenger side axle (3).jpg
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	7514   Click image for larger version

Name:	passenger side axle (2).jpg
Views:	20
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	7522   Click image for larger version

Name:	driver side axle (2).jpg
Views:	15
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	7530  

Last edited by rannoch; 12-21-2016 at 12:20 PM. Reason: It's not gone completely.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

I can use a screwdriver/pry bar to barely shift the lower control arm bushing (a mm or two), but no thunks or anything obvious.
But... attached is what the upper link (control arm?) looks like (I used the screwdriver to make the rubber degradation more apparent).

More things on my list to replace.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	upper link.jpg
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	7546  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 10:32 PM
Silver Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Yep, that looks like where your clunk is coming from. Just put some PB blaster on there a few days before as there has been people who have tried to remove the nuts and have twisted them completely off, or have broke the stud off from it rusting through the wheel well. Just a WARNING.
TomK

2001 Mazda Millenia 2.5L Champagne Silver Mica 190,000 miles
2002 BMW 530iA Sterling/black 95,000 miles
2006 Volvo XC70 Blue 136,000 miles
2001 Mazda Millenia 2.5L Brilliant Black 213,000 miles - SOLD
1993 Mazda 626 2.5L ATX 235,000 miles - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page