Mazda World Forum banner

2000 Millenia S

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Pugheaven 
#1 ·
So about 6 months ago I decide to buy an "economic" car as an everyday driver. Came across this 2000 Millenia S with 87K original miles. Ad said it didn't run right...Might have a blown head gasket. $1000 bucks. I go look at it. It's in phenomenal condition. Not a single dent. Suede interior in perfect condition. But it sputters a little bit when you accelerate. I'm thinking "Yep...Head gasket. $5-600 bucks for the kit from Rock Auto and we'll have a decent little daily driver. If I only knew...

To date I've read every single thread on the TCS system/ABV Solenoids/P0300/Vacuum Leak problems (some several times) that it seems every single Millenia owner deals with sooner or later. After the head gasket, water pump, timing belt work the classic CEL & TCS lights and limp mode happened to me too. Did a lot of what I read here (both ABV solenoid from Tasca, fuel filter, plugs, swapped the ABV itself) and still getting the 0300 and 1540 codes.
So I'm like $3500 + in this thing and can't really turn back now. My question is this:
Is there any new recent info, ideas, or suggestions anyone may have to get this car running well again?
This site has been my go-to for this thing thus far so I figured why not fire an old topic back up again. Thanks in advance!
-JJ

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi. Welcome to S ownership.

It sorta sounds like perhaps you are not working on this car yourself. If that's true, I think it's time to reverse course and get yourself like a Honda Accord , Camry , etc. mechanics see them every day and can usually get stuff right and you still have a few $ left in wallet.

I have 2 of these cars and have been an S owner (and now not half bad S mechanic..). Bottom line is when troubleshooting, determine potential failed system(s) & unless you can sure-fire boil it down to one, then always choose the least expensive repair try. In your case from the lil you shared, I would have been inclined to examine and more than likely replace the 21 ft of vacuum tubing and associated plastic vacuum tees. Have you done this?

These cars belong in the hands of people who either have good mechanical aptitude w/ vehicles or have the willingness and capability to become so.

#3 ·
Yea it's funny you mention that. Plugs, coils, fuel pump, fuel filter, solenoids, ABV valve itself, all this I've done myself. Today I actually located a broken nipple on the KJ02 solenoid that sits sideways a little lower on the firewall below the bank of four on the back of the intake. Swapped that out with the old KJ02 I replaced (new from Tasca). Put the negative terminal back on. Let it idle for about 10 minutes and drove it. Still has a misfire at take off but smooths out on the highway and no TCS lights whatsoever (35 minute drive in stop n go as well as highway up to 85 mph). No TCS...No limp mode.
So it seems I may have cured the 1540 but no idea what's still causing the misfire. Gonna swing by AutoZone and pull the codes this evening I will update you. Thanks for the feedback!
-JJ

#5 ·
Hey.. JThom, glad to read of your progress. If your lucky, maybe some more miles driven/drive cycles will cause the computer to see things are in proper specs and extinguish the CEL/MIL. If that's not the case, where'd you purchase the "brand new" ignition coil(s) from? If you have any extras, you might wanna try swapping eventually. Like 8 years ago when I first got into this milly S thing, those coils were rather hard to come by. And consequently were routinely ~125 bucks each for new. I've noticed that fairly recently (maybe due to patent restrictions being lifted) they are available aplenty in the aftermarket for ~30 bucks. From personal experience I would NOT recommend buying the cheap aftermarket ones. I did so once just purchasing one to see if that might be a future $ saving option. It misfired right out of the box and was in the trash can moments later. Live and learn. A bunch of yrs ago I emailed a Chinese shipper and got like 10 coils (which appeared to be embossed with Hanshin.. the orig. equip supplier) for about 250 bucks. Between those and picking up some decent used ones from part outs, I have a good supply of those and many other parts. I've become really good at sourcing parts for these ole cars and usually at rock bottom prices.. lemme know if you should need assistance. I am all for keeping these rare things on the road where they should be!

Ted

#6 ·
Ted,
Just an update. Still experiencing a miss. CEL blinks sometimes. Particularly at idle...Which is very rough btw. Studders and hesitates on take off. But still no TCS or limp mode which makes me feel like the vacuum system must be intact. Unless you feel otherwise?
Last code scan said P0404 and P0303 so I'm about to pull the EGR itself and clean it...Let it relearn and see if that makes a difference. Cross your fingers for me. I'll update once I'm done with that.
But you said you have access to parts...Just Incase it turns out to be the EGR solenoids instead of the EGR itself, you wouldn't happen to have a pair of working KJ02's lying around? LoL
Feel free to give me a call...I could use any advice or ideas. Thanks again!
-JJ
804-517-0044

#7 ·
You still not getting the TCS lights and limp mode fella? I have exactly that same problem and it's driving us mental!

#8 ·
[/QUOTE]You still not getting the TCS lights and limp mode fella? I have exactly that same problem and it's driving us mental![/QUOTE]

Get rid of it. Best advice I can give you. You don't see them on the road for a reason. You'll spend 2 or 3 times the vehicles value before you ever get it running right. Even employees at Mazda Dealerships in the U.S. admit the Millennia S was one of those things Mazda still wishes it never did.

#9 ·
You still not getting the TCS lights and limp mode fella? I have exactly that same problem and it's driving us mental![/QUOTE]

Get rid of it. Best advice I can give you. You don't see them on the road for a reason. You'll spend 2 or 3 times the vehicles value before you ever get it running right. Even employees at Mazda Dealerships in the U.S. admit the Millennia S was one of those things Mazda still wishes it never did.[/QUOTE]
So you gave in did you. I've had mine two years, but only a handful left in UK, and always wanted one... and don't wanna get rid lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.