Can't get PS Axle out - Mazda Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
MazdaWorld Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Can't get PS Axle out

I'm having extreme difficulty removing the passenger side axle from my 98 Millenia S. It looks like it attaches to an intermediate shaft, and the shaft goes to the transmission.
I've pryed, and wrapped a cable around the axle and the other end attached to my sledge hammer, I swing the hammer and try to shock it out with the cable.

Anyone have advise on how to get the axle out? Are there any tricks to know on this car?

And is there a bearing in the intermediate shaft? If so I want to replace that to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

98 Millenia S 2.3, cabin filter mod, Valve Covers not Leaking, working tilt, New timing set, waterpump, 17" Rims, K&N drop-in filter, HIR2 9012 Headlights, 12" Diamond D6 Subwoofer, GroundShaker Ported Enclosure, Kenwood 1200watt Amp, Blutooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
MazdaWorld Member

I finally got the passenger side axle out of the intermediate shaft! It was really seized in there it took me 4 days of pulling with the cable. I just kept swinging my sledge hammer with the cable wrapped around the axle rotating the axle after 5 to 10 swings and it finally popped out.

Looked like there was some wobble in the intermediate shaft bearing so it is being replaced with a new axle support, $238 at Tasca parts.

I hope that is the source of my highway shimmy. I'll know very soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

98 Millenia S 2.3, cabin filter mod, Valve Covers not Leaking, working tilt, New timing set, waterpump, 17" Rims, K&N drop-in filter, HIR2 9012 Headlights, 12" Diamond D6 Subwoofer, GroundShaker Ported Enclosure, Kenwood 1200watt Amp, Blutooth
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 11:50 AM
MazdaWorld Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to nivram Send a message via MSN to nivram Send a message via Yahoo to nivram
I understand that rotating the axle on both sides is the answer for removal. Thats a long time for trying to get that axle out, 4 days.

nothing new just stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 10:31 PM
Silver Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
That C clip can be a tough effort to get out at times. i had a hard time when i had to get out my driver side on one of mine. Drilled a hole and ended up pulling it out.
TomK

2001 Mazda Millenia 2.5L Champagne Silver Mica 190,000 miles
2002 BMW 530iA Sterling/black 95,000 miles
2006 Volvo XC70 Blue 136,000 miles
2001 Mazda Millenia 2.5L Brilliant Black 213,000 miles - SOLD
1993 Mazda 626 2.5L ATX 235,000 miles - SOLD

Last edited by Kutcht1; 05-07-2017 at 09:25 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
MazdaWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutcht1 View Post
That C clip can be a tough effort to get out at times. i had a hard time when i had to get out my driver side on one of mine. Drilled a hose and ended up pulling it out.
TomK
Yes, the C clip was very enlarged, possibly hanging up as I was pulling causing it to bend outward. On the new axles I'm going to tighten up and lube those clips so they will not lock so permanently.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 09:27 PM
Silver Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I did the same thing on one of mine. I personally think the C clip is a bad design for a japanese vehicle. Love the german ones!
TomK

2001 Mazda Millenia 2.5L Champagne Silver Mica 190,000 miles
2002 BMW 530iA Sterling/black 95,000 miles
2006 Volvo XC70 Blue 136,000 miles
2001 Mazda Millenia 2.5L Brilliant Black 213,000 miles - SOLD
1993 Mazda 626 2.5L ATX 235,000 miles - SOLD
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:18 PM
MazdaWorld Member

Send a message via AIM to nivram Send a message via MSN to nivram Send a message via Yahoo to nivram
I spect you already have it installed by now. Here is a hint a CV axle re builder gave me on mine, on installing the axle make sure the open part of the clip is on top. What happens if it is not, the ends of the clip can get drawn in to the spline and then you have a real problem.

nothing new just stock
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
MazdaWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivram View Post
I spect you already have it installed by now. Here is a hint a CV axle re builder gave me on mine, on installing the axle make sure the open part of the clip is on top. What happens if it is not, the ends of the clip can get drawn in to the spline and then you have a real problem.
Hey thanks for the tip, I will surely use your advice! My car is still on jackstands, axles not installed yet. I'm still waiting on a new axle support from Tasca, 10 days and still not shipped, and they wouldn't answer the phone today either! I sent an email and will try again tomorrow for an update.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 08:38 PM
MazdaWorld Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For future reference, for anyone looking to remove passenger side axle - I found a tip somewhere on this forum, or on the internet somewhere, that made it very easy. Cut a small piece of wood, maybe 3/4 x 1/2 and 6 inches long? -can't remember exact length. Place it against the inside of the axle casing and hammer it out. Mine came right out.

1995 Millenia 2.5L
200,040 mi.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 01:23 PM
MazdaWorld Member

To get mine out We used a small wrecking bar to pry the end of the half shaft out of the joint. Was considering the long wood driver, or tool that would fit the opening but we won the other way, by pulling and wedging. The problem we had was getting the axle to fit through the Chines puzzle of removal through the metal work. Undone the sway bar and moved it out of the way. and it dropped out.

nothing new just stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page