P1601 error code - Mazda Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Angry P1601 error code

Hello All,

I have a 95 Mazda Millenia; 2.5L that I am trying to get back on the road. I made the dreaded mistake of reversing the polarity while jumping the car. Now it will not start. I will turn over but will not start. I noticed that the lights stays on with the key in the ignition. The lights work but the horn do not work. I got the alternator checked, replaced the distributor. It has two codes. P1000 and P1601! Have anyone ever had this problem before? Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

I got the car to start by cleaning the ground to the battery. Now the car will not start.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 Mazda Millenia View Post
I got the car to start by cleaning the ground to the battery. Now the car will not start.
I misspoke...It started and now it will not cut off. Turned the key to off and it will not cut off until i remove the EGI Main Relay or remove the connection to the MAF sensor. When everything is hooked up. It only shows P1000. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

i put a new ignition switch in the car. Does the same thing. No fuses are blown. P1000 is the code that is giving. I did notice that once i took the key out. The windows didn't work and the temperature went out, but the lights and the horn worked. Any suggestions.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
i put a new ignition switch in the car. Does the same thing. No fuses are blown. P1000 is the code that is giving. I did notice that once i took the key out. The windows didn't work and the temperature went out, but the lights and the horn worked. Any suggestions.
I did some researching and testing of the circuit. What I think the problem maybe a bad ground. I know there is a ground by the driver side shock mount and a ground on top to the transmission almost under the battery box. Do anyone know of any other grounds on the 95 Mazda Millenia; 2.5L. Thanks..
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Still research my parasitic draw. Can anyone tell me what the 2 switches/relays above the fuses in this picture. Trying to see where they lead to. This a 2002 Mazda Millenia (copied from another thread, I hope the owner do not mind). I have a 1995 Mazda Millenia but the fuse box looks the same. Thanks.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:07 AM
MazdaWorld Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Still research my parasitic draw. Can anyone tell me what the 2 switches/relays above the fuses in this picture. Trying to see where they lead to. This a 2002 Mazda Millenia (copied from another thread, I hope the owner do not mind). I have a 1995 Mazda Millenia but the fuse box looks the same. Thanks.

Hi 95 Mazda Millenia,

The (H450) Relay is a starter relay. In my 1995 Milly 'S' model, when I pulled this relay thinking it was a fuel pump relay, is actually ended being a starter relay as she did not want to turn over to prime the engine (was trying to get some oiling going on first, after some work was done to her...) The other relay (EE12) is actually missing on my 1995.

Please let us know if you find out more information on this issue.

Thanks and Good Luck!

Luroc
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luroc View Post
Hi 95 Mazda Millenia,

The (H450) Relay is a starter relay. In my 1995 Milly 'S' model, when I pulled this relay thinking it was a fuel pump relay, is actually ended being a starter relay as she did not want to turn over to prime the engine (was trying to get some oiling going on first, after some work was done to her...) The other relay (EE12) is actually missing on my 1995.

Please let us know if you find out more information on this issue.

Thanks and Good Luck!

Luroc
Thanks Luroc for the quick reply. This is what I found over the weekend. I pulled the relays about the fuses...all of them were good...I rechecked the alternator it was charging the battery. Now here is the confusing part; when i checked for AC voltage...
With the car running; it showed 29.5 AC voltage...

With the car not running is showed 26.8 AC voltage...

Can someone tell me if this good or not? Some say you not suppose to have over 50 AC volts and then I read you not suppose to have none. All I know is I checked for the parasitic draw...all fuses are good. Only movement I get is when I pull the meter fuse (which controls the dashboard lights). Yes, the dash lights stays on without the keys. Also, the car will not cut off when i try to turn the car off. I already changed the ignition switch, cleaned the body ground. I checked most of the grounds. I know of 3 grounds in the engine bay area. I checked them. They appear to be normal. I don't think it is the PCM because the car starts with a jump and it doesn't cut off prematurely. I do have a spare battery, but will not put that in until I find out what the issue is. Almost at wits end.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:37 AM
MazdaWorld Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks Luroc for the quick reply. This is what I found over the weekend. I pulled the relays about the fuses...all of them were good...I rechecked the alternator it was charging the battery. Now here is the confusing part; when i checked for AC voltage...
With the car running; it showed 29.5 AC voltage...

With the car not running is showed 26.8 AC voltage...

Can someone tell me if this good or not? Some say you not suppose to have over 50 AC volts and then I read you not suppose to have none. All I know is I checked for the parasitic draw...all fuses are good. Only movement I get is when I pull the meter fuse (which controls the dashboard lights). Yes, the dash lights stays on without the keys. Also, the car will not cut off when i try to turn the car off. I already changed the ignition switch, cleaned the body ground. I checked most of the grounds. I know of 3 grounds in the engine bay area. I checked them. They appear to be normal. I don't think it is the PCM because the car starts with a jump and it doesn't cut off prematurely. I do have a spare battery, but will not put that in until I find out what the issue is. Almost at wits end.

Hello 1995 Mazda Millenia,

from my experiences with alternators, is that the alternator it self can have issues with the internals windings.... They can pose/ have parasitic issues as well. The windings will sometimes create a "short", and may present different readings when cold or hot. Like a speaker voice coil!
(many other cars can experience this as well) This can cause the battery to drain. And or the voltage regulator can be bad in the alternator... (built in to alternator...) Just giving you some ideas...

Let us know thanks.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luroc View Post
Hello 1995 Mazda Millenia,

from my experiences with alternators, is that the alternator it self can have issues with the internals windings.... They can pose/ have parasitic issues as well. The windings will sometimes create a "short", and may present different readings when cold or hot. Like a speaker voice coil!
(many other cars can experience this as well) This can cause the battery to drain. And or the voltage regulator can be bad in the alternator... (built in to alternator...) Just giving you some ideas...

Let us know thanks.
Thanks Luroc,

I am leaning towards a bad diode, but want to be sure before going through the trouble of replacing the alternator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page