P0705 range sensor code?? - Mazda Forum

MazdaWorld.org is the premier Mazda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2004, 12:23 PM
Mazda Newbie

I had a CEL light come on in my 98 milly & decided to get a full diagnostic on it. It pulled a code P0705 for a range sensor. Of course, the dealership wants an arm & a leg to replace it, so I want to replace it on my own. Unfortunately, no auto places seem to know what a range sensor is & I can't find anything really relevant in google searches either. Anyone know if this has another name or where I can get one? Thanks.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2004, 12:55 PM

This is the circuit that tells the computer what range (PRNDL) the transmission is in.
1966 Sunbeam Alpine 1725
Old 05-14-2004, 02:14 PM
Mazda Newbie

any idea on where to get one? I found out the full name is like "transmission range sensor circuit (PRNDL Inp.)" but can't find anyone with this either. Is this something I can even replace myself. If it is actually circuitry, I am not gonna mess with it. Sounded like just a sensor. Is the thing even necessary, or does it just do something like let the car go into gear when it is not started? Or is it a bit more important like it won't drive when it is in "D"? Thanks.
Old 05-14-2004, 04:11 PM

The circuit consists of the transmission range switch that is attached to the transaxle and the wiring harness and connectors between the switch and the ECU. The problem could be as simple as a bad switch or a connector that needs to be cleaned.
1966 Sunbeam Alpine 1725
Old 05-14-2004, 11:57 PM
Platinum Member

ask wiz, he is the brains of the group
Old 05-15-2004, 03:46 PM

I looked in the tech manual for this, but they don't call it the same thing on my 2000. What the book does say is that there's a "tranmission range switch", "in center rear of engine compartment, on transaxle" on the 2.3L engine and "in left front of engine compartment, on transaxle" of the 2.5L engine.

I would try and find it, take apart the connector, clean everything up, and put it back together.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:36 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to latinopikachu Send a message via AIM to latinopikachu Send a message via MSN to latinopikachu Send a message via Yahoo to latinopikachu

when i refer to it as a transaxle everyone gets all confused. which is the more proper term? transmission or transaxle?
Old 05-16-2004, 11:47 PM
Mazda Newbie

Hi,try asking for an inhibitor switch.This is located on the transmission where the shift cable is attached.It tells the PCM what gear has been selected.Also it does not allow starting in any gear but P or N.Common symptoms would be a no start in Park,or when accellerating it feels like it starts in 3rd gear.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:56 AM
Mazda Newbie

Thanks for the replies. I will give a shot at cleaning it. I had a couple issues actually when I took it in. The transmission seemed kinda jumpy at times, so that might be the problem I am guessing. Also pulled a knock sensor code, which I am replacing. I still am not finding anything on the inhibotor switch or tranmission range switch either. Is this by chance the same thing as a park-neutral switch? This is the term I have always heard & can find these for the milly, but not sure if it is the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement