size of and source for spark plug socket? - Mazda Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post. I have a 2000 Millenia (regular, not S), and will be changing its spark plugs soon. I have plugs already.

1-I can get my lazy butt up and measure the plugs if necessary, but does anyone know off the top of his head what size socket I'll need?

2-Also, anyone know where I can find the appropriate socket -- i.e., the kind with the rubber boot inside (I have plenty of regular sockets)? My local Advance Auto Parts doesn't have much. Anywhere I can order on the internet?

Any other things to keep in mind whilst changing plugs? I've got some slime to put around the boot; I suppose I could also get some slime to put on the threads too.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

-James :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to malice4you Send a message via Yahoo to malice4you
look in the technical guides section, theres a spark plug changing guide...i think it's by gsrex?

might help you out a lot

S[/b]
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to malice4you Send a message via Yahoo to malice4you
oh, welcome to the site

S[/b]
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 01:08 AM
Platinum Member

The socket you should be able to get at any auto parts shop. Use an anti-seize compound on the threads. Once you've placed the new plugs in the wells and caught the threads, change the socket from the sparkplug socket to a normal deep socket of the same size (which I can't remember). The reason is that if you just use the sparkplug socket then it gets jammed and gets stuck in the well. Whereas if you use a normal deep socket it just tightens like it should. Oh and if you can, use a torque wrench.

Custom Leather Shift/Ebrake boots with 5% discount, click here.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...y/DietCoke.jpg

People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid.

Words should be a little wild, for they are the assault of thought on the unthinking.

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool ... shun him.
He who knows not and knows that he knows not, is ignorant ... teach him.
He who knows and knows not that he knows, is asleep ... wake him.
He who knows and knows that he knows, is a wise man ... follow him.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 01:33 AM
Mazda Newbie

Renboy,

As far as I know there is no reason to change from the spark plug socket to a regular socket to tighten up the spark plug. The only major difference is the rubber insert in the spark plug socket to hold the plug in the socket while installing/removing the plugs.

James,

Sears is my choice for tools, the lifetime warranty is hard to beat but as mentioned above, you can get them at any auto parts store....
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 01:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Factory36@Oct 3 2004, 12:33 AM
Renboy,

As far as I know there is no reason to change from the spark plug socket to a regular socket to tighten up the spark plug. The only major difference is the rubber insert in the spark plug socket to hold the plug in the socket while installing/removing the plugs.
Well the socket does get stuck on the plug sometimes. But most times, it is easy to remove with a bit of jiggling.

Anyway, the correct size spark plug socket for the Millenia is 5/8". Pepboys sells all kinds and sizes of single socket pieces.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 11:37 AM

The correct size spark plug socket is 5/8 inch. If you use a quality spark plug socket, Sears Craftsman, for example, it will not jam and there will be no need to change to a standard deep socket. I do not recommend using an anti seize compound, or oil, when installing new plugs. The torque specs are given for a dry fit, using a lubricant or anti seize drastically alters the torque required. Their use can also alter the heat range of the spark plugs.

2001 Millenia P
2001 Miata L
1995 Millenia
1966 Sunbeam Alpine 1725
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alpine1725@Oct 3 2004, 10:37 AM
The correct size spark plug socket is 5/8 inch. If you use a quality spark plug socket, Sears Craftsman, for example, it will not jam and there will be no need to change to a standard deep socket. I do not recommend using an anti seize compound, or oil, when installing new plugs. The torque specs are given for a dry fit, using a lubricant or anti seize drastically alters the torque required. Their use can also alter the heat range of the spark plugs.
I didn't know about the anti-seize, good to know. The sparkplug sockets that I have are actually from Sears (Craftsman). They jammed in the well every time, on both my mx6 and my gf's milly. I know I didn't overtighten because I do have a pretty good torque wrench also. I just find it a lot easier to use the sparkplug socket to get the thread started on all the spark plugs first and then switch to a normal deep socket.

Custom Leather Shift/Ebrake boots with 5% discount, click here.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...y/DietCoke.jpg

People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid.

Words should be a little wild, for they are the assault of thought on the unthinking.

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool ... shun him.
He who knows not and knows that he knows not, is ignorant ... teach him.
He who knows and knows not that he knows, is asleep ... wake him.
He who knows and knows that he knows, is a wise man ... follow him.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2004, 11:43 AM
Gold Member

Send a message via AIM to wizbummer Send a message via Yahoo to wizbummer
I clean out the spark plug well with a test tube brush so there's not much oily crap left in there. I've always applied a very thin film of oil to the threads before putting them in... didn't know the torque specs were rated for dry, but then again I never use a torque wrench, I just tighten 'till it's "good enough".

Millenia-less (for now!)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Thanks guys. I was able to find the socket at Sears. I'm still mulling over whether it's best to lube up the spark plug threads with oil/anti-seize (and get a less accurate torque wrench measurement) or just go dry and get the more accurate torque specification. I'll stew on that stuff, but thanks again!

-James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page