Replacement of main fuse - 120A - Mazda Forum

MazdaWorld.org is the premier Mazda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2004, 06:07 PM
MazdaWorld Member

I am talking how do you get the 120A fuse out? The Mazda mechanic thought it was "bolted on". He was not sure that the 1995 Millenia L was for sure but others are held by a bolt.

Has anyone remove the 120A fuse before?

Or know how to do it?

Need to know in a hurry or I may just tow to Mazda Dealer who is licking their chops! Easy repair and costly for owner!

Harry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2004, 02:07 PM
Banned

umm, fuses aren't bolted on...maybe the entire box is, just pull alittle harder, you'd be suprised how tight some of those are in. also do you have a pic of the exact fuse?, the millenia probably has like 8 main fuses
Old 12-02-2004, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member

Why do you want to remove it? Is it blown?

Need a pic.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:43 AM

To remove the 120A fuse there is a bolt that goes under the fuse that you need to remove in order to get the fuse out. There might also be two on the top that need to be removed. Its a pain in the a** to get out. Some guy at advance auto parts blew mine out when he was putting my new optima in.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member

How on earth did he do that?

Does he not know that positive goes to +, and negative goes to -

Hope he didn't fry the computer.

Still need a pic. for someone to help. I don't know of anyone that ever happened to. Is the fuse inside the passenger compartment, or under the hood somewhere?
Old 12-07-2004, 11:31 PM
MazdaWorld Member

Well, I been checking every where for any instructions and believe it or not; you guys know more then all the independent mechanics out there. The instructions are not even in the AllCad Service that the mechanics subscribe too!

MazdaUSA will not provide instructions to how to remove it! Nor will my dealership! So I have to wait for a 1995 Mazda Milenia Service Manual is up for sale on EBay.

The fuse is located by itself as the first one on the left side(passenger side) of the fuse container in the engine compartment. The two rows of fuses to the right of it are auxilary fuses.

I am scared to ask the cost of the repair because my car is in the garage and towing is going to be $120 and from want I got from a passing Mazda mechanic; they don't like doing it; so it must take a lot of time to do! Shop charge per hour is $120.00.

Don't every put your battery terminals on wrong or you will end up like me!
Old 12-08-2004, 03:20 AM
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to malice4you Send a message via Yahoo to malice4you

who woulda thought...putting the battery terminals on wrong would do damage...

i would hope that the fuse was the only thing that fried....

S[/b]
Old 12-08-2004, 04:25 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to latinopikachu Send a message via AIM to latinopikachu Send a message via MSN to latinopikachu Send a message via Yahoo to latinopikachu

i would have beaten that loser down

or at the very least

Old 12-08-2004, 11:38 AM
Platinum Member

You're lucky the battery didn't explode when the wrong terminals were hooked up. That could be a very dangerous situation what that guy did.

It's probably a good thing that the main fuse blow, otherwise your computer, wiring, relays, and car's electrical system would probably be totally fried right now.

You may be waiting a long time for a 95 manual on ebay.

Let me see if it has the procedure in my 1999 workshop manual. I would imagine the procedure would be identical for the 95 and 99. Millenia's didn't change much from year to year. If I find anything, I'll post it.

Anybody out there a fan of "Toy Story"? Remember when Woody said "Come on guys, positive goes to postive, and negative goes to negative!!!"
Old 12-08-2004, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

How to remove the main fuse:

1. Open the hood of the car.
2. Remove the cover from the fuse panel.
3. You can see two heavy gauge wires coming from the battery that is connected to the main fuse. They are immediately to the right of the red circled relay in this picture. The far right hand side of the red circle is drawn right over the top of one of the wires and terminal post. In this picture it looks like JK has some kind of red aftermarket wire cover over the stock wire. On the stock Millenia, it is just a plain black insulated heavy gauage wire. You can see the two vertical terminal posts in the picture. They have two 10 mm nuts on them. Use a 10 mm wrench, and remove the two nuts. Then lift off the two heavy gauge wires.

4. Once the two heavy gauge wires are removed, look under them and you will then see two horizontal bolts. One on each side of the main fuse. Remove those two horizontal bolts, one on each side of the lower part of the main fuse. Those two bolts are what hold the main fuse on.
5. Once the two horizontal bolts are removed, then pull straight up on the main fuse. It will slide out.
6. Slide a new main fuse in.
7. Reinstall in reverse order.
Advertisement