How to change brake pads? - Mazda Forum

MazdaWorld.org is the premier Mazda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2006, 01:03 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Bromba
Thumbs down

Can anyone please tell me (step-by-step) how to change brake pads and what tools will i need? I've heared that this is simple on millenia.

Mazda Millenia S ME
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2006, 09:35 AM
Gold Member

the millenia has floating calipers, as do most cars. floating calipers are very easy to change brake pads. jack the car up, remove the wheel. before or after you do this, after the motor is off, pump the brake pedal several times really hard to remove any pressure. on the lower part of the caliper is a bolt, 17mm iirc. you remove this, and the caliper will swing upward. i also disconnect the flexible line from the strut, otherwise the line can distort. the pads are held in with spring clips, and there will be a groove in each end of the pad. somehow, you will need to compress the pistons in the caliper so the new pads can clear the rotor. i use a vice grip clamp, and the old pad, and i do it in stages. watch the level in the fluid resevoir, because it will come up a LOT. it if has been filled recently, it will overflow, and brake fluid is corrosive to everything, including paint. the caliper pistons have to be compressed until the brake backing plate is bottomed out. remove the old pad, install the new. you put the pad it, using the groove, then push it towards the groove, and it should snap in. grease the bolt you took out, swing the caliper back down, reinstall the bolt. if the brake fluid in your resevoir is dark, now is the time to flush the fluid.

the stock pads have 2 metal shims that clamp on to the back of the pad, depending on what brand of pads you get, you can reuse the old shims, some pads say you dont have to. some pads will come with an anti squeal compound to put on the back, some wont. i dont use it, but i do reuse the metal shims. i like the akebono pro act ceramic pad, they are oem, stop very well, and do not dust at all. cheaper pads will dust a lot, and squeal.

while you are under there, you should inspect everything, especially the lower ball joint, and the cv boot. grab the sway bar end link, and try to twist it. if it moves, it is toast. check all the other ball joints on the multi link, look at the boots, if any are torn and leaking, they probably should be changes. check the shock for leaks. check the bushings on the traverse rods. have at least one can of brake cleaner. i also like to put neversieze on all the bolts, lug nuts, etc.

normal tools are needed, nothing special, unless you do more than the brakes. on our cars, the lug nuts are 21mm, the caliper is 17mm(iirc), the bolt that holds the brake line to the strut is 12mm. bleeder is 10mm. vice clamps, torque wrench, brake cleaner, grease, neversieze. if you have never done this before, try to get someone that has to help you. very easy job
Old 02-10-2006, 12:13 PM
Mazda Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Xensuous1

That sounds much better than paying $360 to let Mazda do it. **** thieves!
Old 02-10-2006, 12:33 PM
Platinum Member

SUPER S ON THIS SITE CHANGED MY 4 ROTORS AND ALL 4 BRAKES IN ABOUT AN HR

PAYMENT..

ALCOHOL

AFTER WATCHING HIM DO IT I CANT BELIEVE DEALERSHIPS RIP PEOPLE OFF LIKE THAT

U aint live long nuff to be a soldier...
Welcome to another day in the jungle ya'll...
Leader & Originator of the Leader & Originator club...

Old 02-10-2006, 01:42 PM
Platinum Member

Do one side at a time. So if you forget how to put something back together, you can use the other side (that is still together) as reference.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Do one side at a time. So if you forget how to put something back together, you can use the other side (that is still together) as reference. [/b]
That is the best advice anyone could give, especially if you're working with drum brakes.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...y/DietCoke.jpg

People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid.

Words should be a little wild, for they are the assault of thought on the unthinking.

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool ... shun him.
He who knows not and knows that he knows not, is ignorant ... teach him.
He who knows and knows not that he knows, is asleep ... wake him.
He who knows and knows that he knows, is a wise man ... follow him.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:26 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Bromba

Quote:
That sounds much better than paying $360 to let Mazda do it. **** thieves!
[/b]
I went to mazda dealer by me and they wanted like $120 just for the front pads + labor. Fucking sick bastards! I didn't even asked for the rear.

Mazda Millenia S ME
Old 02-10-2006, 04:24 PM
Banned

I concur, the pads and rotors are easy, especially after doing it even once, do 1 side at a time. I would highly advise against messing with the shoes on the parking drum though
Old 02-10-2006, 04:24 PM
Gold Member

Send a message via AIM to Gripdog

all pads for me took an hour or so, and rotors would not add any time considering they are secured with the wheel
18" Ten Spoke wrapped in 18/40/225 rubber
Magnaflow Resonator, Magnaflow Muffler, all piped with 2.5in piping
Infinity Kappa mids and highs, RF StageIII 10' subs
All powered by two RF amps
35% tint, 20%on the sunroof
Fog Light Mod complete
99-00 Tails finally installed
Superwhite LED cluster lighting
Amber Led Parking Lights
Chitown CAI screaming at you
99-00 Front Signal Lights and Parking Lenses
JDM Clear parking Lights.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:34 PM
Banned

I spend alittle more time then that, I usually spend about an hour or more flushing my brakes often however though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement