[Tech] Check Engine Code P1170 - Mazda Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Wad
Mazda Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My check engine light came on last night and today I found out that this is the code. It has something to do with the air to fuel ratio. I am going to the dealer on Monday but I wanted to see if any of you guys had any experience with this. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 08:51 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
My check engine light came on last night and today I found out that this is the code. It has something to do with the air to fuel ratio. I am going to the dealer on Monday but I wanted to see if any of you guys had any experience with this. Thanks.
[/b]
on a 99s, 1170 is oxygen sensor malfunction, frt rh. there is a myriad of possible causes. i would erase the code, and see if it comes back. usually, on o2 sensors, they start to die. they will throw a code, but when erased, it stays off for quite a while. then, it comes back on, erase, stays off, but probably shorter time, repeat, and the intervals get shorter and shorter. eventually, you gotta change it, but you usually got quite a while. what happens when you take it to the dealer, is they immediatly try to get you to buy a sensor. another reason to get a good code reader, that has the ability to erase. i have gotten an sensor code about 4 times now in the last year, and after erasing, it stays off for a long time. when the time intervals get really short, i will change it.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Wad
Mazda Newbie

So I need a code reader to erase? Ok, I see I will have to invest in one. I have 97 base model also.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 04:08 AM

I believe Autozone and O'Reillys will check and read codes for free.

"Flowers are better than bullets." - Allison Krause - Kent State University - 4 MAY 1970
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 12:04 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I believe Autozone and O'Reillys will check and read codes for free.
[/b]
this is true. the reason i got one, is because i want to know NOW. also, the zone balked at erasing the code. i know from past experience that o2 sensors dont just crap out, they die slowly. if you take the car to a shop/dealer with the ce lite on for an o2, they will try to sell you the sensor, and will NOT erase the code. most independents(at least the ones I work with) will make a note of the code, erase it, and test drive. if the ce dont lite, they will like put a note in the glovebox, or somewhere that they can reference back to. then, if the car comes back for the same code at a later date, they can make a better decision. or, tell you it is a dying sensor, and you need to get it done pretty soon. misfire codes is another one. it might just need plugs, plug boots, etc, or, when erased, it might go away. but, if you take it in with the ce lite on, the dealer will try to sell you work/parts. dont IGNORE the ce lite, like some do, then it might make other things happen, and get worse.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Wad
Mazda Newbie

Yeah, im not going to ignore it, I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. Something isnt right because the engine now stutters and idles rough, that just started today and the CE light came on friday. It shifts a little rough too.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 01:39 PM
Gold Member

let the dealer diagnois the problem but take it somewhere else, they will rape your milly with labor charges for popping the hood, oh and parts have a triple mark-up. Get a code reader and find a reliable local mechanic will save you a lot of money.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33...millysig00.jpg

2000 Mazda Millenia S Millennium Edition, 80,000 miles, 95-96 cromeless trunk plate, 95-96 side mirrors, Clear parking light mod, 01-02 tweeter spekers, First ever CAI on an S -STAGE 2 -, K&N chrome inverted top filter, 2.5" mandrel bent custom exhaust: magnaflow resonator & high flow cat, Remus twin angeld exhaust, Hayden 1677 tranny cooler, Eibach lowering spings, 4300K HIDs in TSX projectors fit in 95-96 housings, Carbon fiber gauge bezel/Aluminum gauge rings, Aluminum scuff plates, LED brake, reverse, and front/rear indicators, Custom chromed LED towers, MX-3 flasher relay - hyperflash fix, All blacklight interior LEDs, 95-96 trunk lining

RIP 1995 Mazda Millenia 2.5L, 130,000+ miles: Custom Cold-Air/Short-Ram convertable intake,, K&N chrome inverted top filter, NGK plugs & wires, Remus exhaust: 2.5" tubing: Sound Clip, Hayden 1677 tranny cooler, Eibach lowering spings, 18" ASA wheels, Pirelli tires, 6000K Phillips HID kit, Custom grill, Aluminum scuff plates, 99-00 Clear front indicators, 99-00 Taillights, 220 Total exterior LEDs: Custom chromed LED towers, 99-00 Chrome shifter trim, Custom mazdaspeed steering wheel badge, Carbon fiber guage bezel, Chrome interior door handles, Custom carbon-fiber handle trim. ash tray, and shifter stick, 99-00 lighted woodgrain window control switch, 20% tint all around, De-badged, Custom radio install: JVC Kameleon headunit, 750 Watt Infinity sub, Custom rear speaker port, Cerwin-Vega door speakers, 1500 watts of Rockford Fosgate power. Watch the milly videos: "Runnin' the Chicago Streets", "Remus Exhasut Sound Clip", Gasp in Horror: The Destruction pic 1,The Destruction pic 2,The Destruction pic 3,The Destruction pic 4

Mad Millenia Parts for Sale
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 03:33 AM

Quote:
[/b]

P1170 ESO - Engine Shut Off Solenoid Fault
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 09:59 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
P1170 ESO - Engine Shut Off Solenoid Fault
[/b]
where do you get THAT from? my 99 manual shows rh oxygen sensor inversion, for both 2.3 and 2.5.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Wad
Mazda Newbie

It was the right side O2 sensor and I needed a solenoid valve. I took it to the dealer knowing they would bang me in the head on labor but i wanted it done right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page