flashing check engine light - Mazda Forum

MazdaWorld.org is the premier Mazda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2006, 10:41 PM

Got a flashing CEL tonight. It has been hesitating slightly as well at cruising speed. It's like a slight jerk. Did a search under the word "flashing" here and found that it is an engine misfire. This is a 98 Millenia L so I figure that it could be any number of things, including the spark plugs and wires. Earlier, I had a P1170 code(air fuel metering) that was never cleared and now this. I was supposed to take it to my "local" Mazda dealer this Saturday anyway, but should I risk it? The dealer is like 30 miles away. Should I just take it to a regular automotive tech in my home town or is it worth the risk to take it to the dealership? I'm guessing that the dealership would know what to do right away so I'm leaning towards taking it there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2006, 12:36 AM
Platinum Member

If you ever get misfire on the L, change the plugs, wires, distributor cap and distributor rotor. All are relatively cheap and the new parts usually cure most misfire problems on the L. Most of the time P1170 is caused by forgetting to reconnect the mass airflow sensor after a filter change. It has to be cleared with a scanner or a PCM reset by disconnecting the negative battery cable for 10-15 seconds. If all that doesn't cure it, it's probably a weak ignition coil.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:31 AM

Thanks. I just bought this car about a month ago and don't really know the maintenance record on it. It may be time for a tune up anyway. It's good to know that it is most likely something inexpensive.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Got a flashing CEL tonight. It has been hesitating slightly as well at cruising speed. It's like a slight jerk. Did a search under the word "flashing" here and found that it is an engine misfire. This is a 98 Millenia L so I figure that it could be any number of things, including the spark plugs and wires. Earlier, I had a P1170 code(air fuel metering) that was never cleared and now this. I was supposed to take it to my "local" Mazda dealer this Saturday anyway, but should I risk it? The dealer is like 30 miles away. Should I just take it to a regular automotive tech in my home town or is it worth the risk to take it to the dealership? I'm guessing that the dealership would know what to do right away so I'm leaning towards taking it there.
[/b]

WATCH OUT FOR THOSE PESKY CRACKED SPARK PLUGS.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:44 PM

Quote:
If you ever get misfire on the L, change the plugs, wires, distributor cap and distributor rotor. All are relatively cheap and the new parts usually cure most misfire problems on the L. Most of the time P1170 is caused by forgetting to reconnect the mass airflow sensor after a filter change. It has to be cleared with a scanner or a PCM reset by disconnecting the negative battery cable for 10-15 seconds. If all that doesn't cure it, it's probably a weak ignition coil.
[/b]
**Update** Changed spark plugs and wires yesterday. They were all black and fuzzy and the electrodes looked worn. You could also see how oil had seeped past the threads on two of them. Reset the PCM by removing battery negative and that cleared the flashing CEL. Drove for a while and the CEL came in solid but I'm sure that's the P1170(air fuel metering) again. That leaves only two problems now, valve cover seals and this P1170 code which could be anything but most likely the MAF. But at least these aren't as severe as an engine misfire. I put sealant around the plugs to prevent them from being fouled out again. Hopefully that will hold until I can get the valve cover seals replaced. Anyway thanks MillyOwner for the suggestions, they were really helpful. If you have any other solutions to the P1170 code, let me know. I may end up taking it to a dealer, but want to avoid that if possible.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:53 PM
Gold Member

try cleaning your maf. remove it, and spray it with some brake cleaner, i recommend the chlorinated(older) kind. dont use carb cleaner. electrical parts cleaner is the same as brake cleaner.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:13 PM

Thanks. I will definitely try that ken inn.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:44 PM

First of all, thanks for all the help and info on this board!!! Not a lot of readily available info for the Millenia. Been a while since I've posted here. I took the car to the dealership and had them do a diagnostic. They found three things:

EGR ports clogged=around $400
Sending unit malfunction=around $400
O2 sensor failure (RH front sensor) P1170 code=around $300

TOTAL=$1100 Ouch!!! That's why I elected to do some of this stuff myself

I cleaned the EGR ports yesterday, and I could see why it was a problem. Everything was covered in carbon from the throttle body back. The left port was completely clogged and the right wasn't far behind. I cleaned everything thoroughly down to the metal with throttle body cleaner and made sure the ports were free of debris by using an L-shaped Allen wrench. That stopped the hesitation immediately and the car idles really quiet now. I reset the CEL by removing the battery negative and drove it around for a while. The CEL came back after about 15 miles or so. My next step is to replace the O2 sensor.

My question is where is the RH front O2 sensor? I know the RH side of the engine is the side closest to the firewall. I saw TWO O2 sensors back there. With it being the FRONT O2 sensor, does that mean that it's the one closest to the drive belts? Advance Auto parts has a Bosch for $63. I'd like to do this myself because it seems very doable after reading the Technical Guide. Help????

Old 10-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

Front is the one that's in the top of the precat, not the one after it.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...y/DietCoke.jpg

People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid.

Words should be a little wild, for they are the assault of thought on the unthinking.

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool ... shun him.
He who knows not and knows that he knows not, is ignorant ... teach him.
He who knows and knows not that he knows, is asleep ... wake him.
He who knows and knows that he knows, is a wise man ... follow him.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:24 PM
MazdaWorld Member

Send a message via MSN to EvilDeacon Send a message via Yahoo to EvilDeacon

It could also be the gas..., check the plugs for ashy residue etc.
Try changing the place you buy gas...change of formula may help

oh yeah, just like that baby...just like that...do it for daddy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement