Overheating Problems - Mazda Forum

MazdaWorld.org is the premier Mazda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Mazda Newbie

Hello guys. This is my first post & of course it's a Millenia problem.

Well I bought the Millenia (2002) 2.5 for my wife & it's been great until recently. The problem is the car runs fine when it idle or driving. The overheating happens when she turns teh ac on. At first it would shoot up as soon as you turn it on. I replaced the coolant temperature sensor & at first it seemed to do the trick but as soon as we got in traffic the temp starts to climb.

The ac fan works fine but the main fan does not. When you turn the ac on when the car is running both fans kick on but in about 6 seconds the main fan cuts off.

My question is how many people have had this problem & how do I go about fixing this?

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2008, 01:18 AM
Mazda Newbie

Quote:
Hello guys. This is my first post & of course it's a Millenia problem.

Well I bought the Millenia (2002) 2.5 for my wife & it's been great until recently. The problem is the car runs fine when it idle or driving. The overheating happens when she turns teh ac on. At first it would shoot up as soon as you turn it on. I replaced the coolant temperature sensor & at first it seemed to do the trick but as soon as we got in traffic the temp starts to climb.

The ac fan works fine but the main fan does not. When you turn the ac on when the car is running both fans kick on but in about 6 seconds the main fan cuts off.

My question is how many people have had this problem & how do I go about fixing this?

Thanks for the help.[/b]
I Had the same problem and believe me i did spent a lot on it, changed the radiator, water pump, temperature sensor, and what have you regarding the cooling system, except for the fans that i didn't change. Out of frustration, i kept checking every where within the engine compartment and just recently, i was messing with the wiring around the fuse box and found a short circuited wire. Lo and behold, i straighten out the wires (cutting and joining where necessary) and i can tell you that i am so proud of myself (though have spent a lot of money), i finally fixed the overheating in my 2002 Milly and enjoying my Milly once again. I dont know how curious you are when it comes to things like this. i got tired of spending money and decided to take it on myself. so, with my experience i will say that you check for short circuit (making sure that all cooling components are in good working conditions) , which might be cutting off power, or not supplying enough power to one or more components of the cooling system and hence, overheating. Good Luck!
Old 08-16-2009, 02:52 PM
Mazda Newbie

Well I am still having the problem with the cooling fan not cutting on. I did some checking 7 realized that the original cooling fan's motor was gone so I replaced it, but it still will not come on.

Now I know that the coolant temp sensor reads the temp levels & then tells the engine management unit to cut the fan on but this is just not happening. I'm thinking of just hard wiring the fan to a 12 volt source.

Anyone having this problem.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Mazda Newbie

where are the fan relays located under the hood exactly?
Old 08-16-2009, 04:14 PM
Platinum Member

There is a part location index under millenia tech session I think. Check the fan and relay. If they are OK, you either have air in cooling system, low coolant or a bad coolant temp sensor.

You can download FSM for further details.
http://tinyurl.com/millenia
Old 08-16-2009, 06:46 PM
Mazda Newbie

I checked the fan yesterday & the motor was shot so I picked up another from the junkyard behind Shea stadium (check to see if that one worked before i bought it) & installed it. I have changed the ECTS already. Do you think I should get a new one.

I used the link you posted to see the relay. That was the one I thought of too. I tested that one & the relay came up fine. I didn't test the coolant temp sensor location though. I'll test it tomorrow.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I checked the fan yesterday & the motor was shot so I picked up another from the junkyard behind Shea stadium (check to see if that one worked before i bought it) & installed it. I have changed the ECTS already. Do you think I should get a new one.

I used the link you posted to see the relay. That was the one I thought of too. I tested that one & the relay came up fine. I didn't test the coolant temp sensor location though. I'll test it tomorrow.[/b]
If you just changed the temp sensor then you should prolly have air in the cooling system.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:29 AM
Mazda Newbie

wow so just having air in the cooling system would cause the cooling fan to not work?
Old 08-17-2009, 08:29 PM
Mazda Newbie

Well finally after three years of dealing with this problem I finally got it fixed. The problem was the relay. for some reason when it was tested it showed as if it was fully functional but in reality it was not. I extended the original wires & installed a different realy that I bought from Autozone & the fan came on. Good thing too because NYC was hot as **** today.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:40 AM
Platinum Member

Congrads! Actually even with the air two fans should come on with the AC..
Advertisement