Crankshaft seal leak? - Mazda Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am trying to locate a very slow oil leak around the passenger side of my 2.5L engine. It leaves about a drop of oil on the garage floor each time I park the car for a number of hours, or overnight. Even after two weeks the oil dipstick is still on "F", but I just drive about a dozen miles or so each time I use the car. I am leaning towards a leaky front cranshaft seal. I recently replaced the oil pressure switch which went from a slow leak to a "pisser" within days. That is completely fixed and the whole area around the oil filter is now 100% clean.
Could the crankshaft seal fail totally and leave me stranded? Also, any ideas what replacing the seal could cost? Don't think I can do this myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Gold Member

If the front crank seal is leaking, correct me if I'm wrong, but it would be leaking oil into the timing belt cover first - so it is possible for the t-belt to get wet with oil and it coulkd jump a tooth or something eventually down the road. Also, if the seal is down there you would have to do all the regular t-belt stuff (so you might as well replace the belt nd tensioners if you are already in there depending on mileage), and then you just have to pop the seal out and hammer a new on it.

- Jeff L.
2001 Mazda Millenia S
1985 Mazda RX-7 S
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 09:08 AM

First,drop the plastic splash pans under the engine.This will give you a better visual........could be as simple as an oil drain plug gasket.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Quote:
If the front crank seal is leaking, correct me if I'm wrong, but it would be leaking oil into the timing belt cover first - so it is possible for the t-belt to get wet with oil and it coulkd jump a tooth or something eventually down the road. Also, if the seal is down there you would have to do all the regular t-belt stuff (so you might as well replace the belt nd tensioners if you are already in there depending on mileage), and then you just have to pop the seal out and hammer a new on it.[/b]
Removed the top 2 screws of the front TB cover to take a peek at the TB. It is dry and also the camshaft sprocket looks clean.
Next I will drop the RH splash shield as Am4wag suggested and see what else is in this area. Everything from the oil filter and back is oil free.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 01:49 AM
Platinum Member

Replace the o-ring on the dipstick tube. It's in the same region.

Custom Leather Shift/Ebrake boots with 5% discount, click here.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...y/DietCoke.jpg

People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid.

Words should be a little wild, for they are the assault of thought on the unthinking.

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool ... shun him.
He who knows not and knows that he knows not, is ignorant ... teach him.
He who knows and knows not that he knows, is asleep ... wake him.
He who knows and knows that he knows, is a wise man ... follow him.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

I dropped the splash shield and removed the passenger side wheel to look at the oil leak. After I took the following pictures I degreased and cleaned the area. I will check again in a couple days.

Dipstick Pipe
Crankshaft picture 01
Crankshaft picture 02
Crankshaft picture 03
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

After cleaning and degreasing the area shown in the pictures above and driving for about 20 miles, there is absolutely no oil leak there. However, the P/S pump housing is covered with an oil film and has a couple of oil droplets on its bottom. Look at the above "Crankshaft picture 02" where there is a reddish looking drop on the belt adjustment screw. The P/S fluid reservoir is between max. and min. cold and without the engine running. Haven't checked the level in at least 6 months. P/S seems to be working OK and leak is very slow. It could have been going on for a long time. The inside of the splash shield had a thick layer of oily crud. I could not detect any smell of the leaked oil.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member

Any oil leak will accumulate at that position on the crank. It seems to be the lowest portion of the block where oil likes to flow down to. It looks like your valve cover gaskets are probably leaking. The rear gasket causes the PS pump to be covered in oil as in your pic. Very rare for the power steering pump to leak in our engines.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

I am keeping my fingers crossed. Everything still looks clean and leak free. As an easy prevention I emptied and refilled the PS reservoir with fresh DEXRON III three times. Each time I turned the steering wheel side to side thru 3 cycles. At the last refill I added about 8 oz. of Lucas PS leak prevention for good measure. The old PS fluid looked OK, a dark red. I bought Autozone ATF which seemed a lot thinner than the Castrol DEXRON III of which I had a little left over from before. The Autozone stuff said it complies with DEXRON III applications.
I am hoping my engine stays without further leaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page