Replacing Valve Cover Gaskets - Mazda Forum

MazdaWorld.org is the premier Mazda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2009, 05:33 PM
Mazda Newbie

Hey I'm in the process of changing my rear VCG. Everything was going good till I got to the part I had to take the nut off the EGR valve. It was stuck so I had to breakout ole faithful_ Monkey Wrench. Now I've ran into those hex head bolt any suggestions? Also is there a step-by-step on the VCG replacement start to finish. If so post a link.

Big Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Hey I'm in the process of changing my rear VCG. Everything was going good till I got to the part I had to take the nut off the EGR valve. It was stuck so I had to breakout ole faithful_ Monkey Wrench. Now I've ran into those hex head bolt any suggestions? Also is there a step-by-step on the VCG replacement start to finish. If so post a link.
Big Thanx[/b]
Were you able to get the EGR off? If so what part is it you are stuck at? If you have the 2.5, there is a guide here:
http://forums.mazdaworld.org/index.php?showtopic=30942

There is no VCG guide for the 2.3, yet. I have new gaskets that are waiting to be installed when the weather is nice and I have enough time to get it all done. Once I get to it, I plan to make a guide. You can piece together the sparkplug replacement guide, the CAC removal guide, and the FSM instructions and it should be enough to get you through.

1995 Millenia S
Parts Now For Sale
http://forums.mazdaworld.org/100-mil...arts-sale.html
Old 03-16-2009, 01:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Were you able to get the EGR off? If so what part is it you are stuck at? If you have the 2.5, there is a guide here:
http://forums.mazdaworld.org/index.php?showtopic=30942

There is no VCG guide for the 2.3, yet. I have new gaskets that are waiting to be installed when the weather is nice and I have enough time to get it all done. Once I get to it, I plan to make a guide. You can piece together the sparkplug replacement guide, the CAC removal guide, and the FSM instructions and it should be enough to get you through.[/b]
How many miles Matt?
Old 03-17-2009, 01:13 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
How many miles Matt?[/b]
About 102k right now. The gaskets are leaking, but not to the point where I am getting puddles under the car. It is more of an annoyance because the oil that drips out just burns off on the cats and smells bad. I am saving it for a week when the demand for driving the car is low so if I run into any problems, I have time to get it sorted out.

1995 Millenia S
Parts Now For Sale
Old 03-17-2009, 02:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
About 102k right now. The gaskets are leaking, but not to the point where I am getting puddles under the car. It is more of an annoyance because the oil that drips out just burns off on the cats and smells bad. I am saving it for a week when the demand for driving the car is low so if I run into any problems, I have time to get it sorted out.[/b]
I am sure my VCGs are not in great condition. There was oil on the coils when I changed one. But at 118k it still doesnt drip. What causes VCG to go bad, oil or just mileage?
Old 03-17-2009, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
What causes VCG to go bad, oil or just mileage?[/b]
Probably gasket material detoriation, they harden and lose their tension, maybe even develop minor cracks in the surface. During time AND milage, caused by thousands of heating cycles. I dare say they hold their shape fairly well if installed properly. I bet many VCG jobs have to be redone due to unproper install. My factory installed front gasket is still holding fairly tight, the rear one was replaced as preventive maintenance due to a minor seepage. And my car is now 9 years and currently at close to 170k kms. By the way, I need a new battery now, fairly good lifespan on the factory battery as well. The battery problem occured when the Xedos gained status as non daily runner; often causes various problems. I've saved 10000 km's on the odo during winter but need a new battery. Oh well...

Originator of the Mazdaworld Old Boys Team!
Old 03-17-2009, 07:56 PM
Mazda Newbie

Quote:
Probably gasket material detoriation, they harden and lose their tension, maybe even develop minor cracks in the surface. During time AND milage, caused by thousands of heating cycles. I dare say they hold their shape fairly well if installed properly. I bet many VCG jobs have to be redone due to unproper install. My factory installed front gasket is still holding fairly tight, the rear one was replaced as preventive maintenance due to a minor seepage. And my car is now 9 years and currently at close to 170k kms. By the way, I need a new battery now, fairly good lifespan on the factory battery as well. The battery problem occured when the Xedos gained status as non daily runner; often causes various problems. I've saved 10000 km's on the odo during winter but need a new battery. Oh well...[/b]
Hey all. Thank God for this link. I am changing my sisters 97 Millenia 2.5l. I thought it was gonna be a piece of cake until it was time to change the rear VCG. I know i have to take the intake out of the way, but it seems as if the fuel rail is connected to the intake. The bad news is that both ends of the fuil rails are really really super rusty, and i have spend all day today and yesderday trying to unscrew it. I can only use an open end wrench. But nothing is happening now.
Any suggestions?
Old 03-18-2009, 03:46 AM
Platinum Member

PB Blast?
Old 03-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Mazda Newbie

Thanks, guys, i used Pb blast and Acetylene torch and a vice grip and it came off. Yeahhh!!!
Now, i gotta know the torque specs for the nuts on the valve cover, and the tightening order.
Any body out there?
Old 03-19-2009, 03:13 PM
Silver Member

The FSM can be downloaded and has everything:

http://members.cox.net/sciberpunkt/tech/docs/

If you can't open the file you will need a program that can open .rar files, 7-zip is what I use and is free.

edit: Found the pages

1995 Millenia S
Parts Now For Sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement