Check Engine Light and blinking "HOLD" Appear in Instrument - Mazda Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
MazdaWorld Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was drive on the highway and suddenly the Check Engine light graphic appears with a blinking "HOLD" under the Trip Meter in the speedometer cluster.

What could be wrong with my Millenia L 1995?

Check the oil level and it is okay!

What else could cause this message? What does the "HOLD" refer too?

How do I reset it without going to the dealership?

*****Do not have code reader

Thanks and looking forward to your replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 10:58 PM
MazdaWorld Member

The blinking hold light I believe is an internal problem with the transmission,but don't quote me on that.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
MazdaWorld Member

Quote:
The blinking hold light I believe is an internal problem with the transmission,but don't quote me on that.[/b]
Transmission??? Let see if we can get another person here to confirm your hypothesis!

Thanks Patriot.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 11:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Transmission??? Let see if we can get another person here to confirm your hypothesis!

Thanks Patriot.[/b]
Transmission is right, does it do it every time or has it just happened once? I would start by servicing the transmission if it only happened once. If it happens a lot, hopefully it isn't too late to fix. You need to get the codes read before any problems can be diagnosed, they might also reveal more about your transmission problem.

1995 Millenia S
Parts Now For Sale
http://forums.mazdaworld.org/100-mil...arts-sale.html
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
MazdaWorld Member

Quote:
Transmission is right, does it do it every time or has it just happened once? I would start by servicing the transmission if it only happened once. If it happens a lot, hopefully it isn't too late to fix. You need to get the codes read before any problems can be diagnosed, they might also reveal more about your transmission problem.[/b]

Could be it needs to get transmission fluid change? I have not change the transmission fluid in a while! I will take it to a transmission shop tomorrow and see what they say! I hope I don't need a new or replaced transmission. I will junk this car if that is the case.

Thanks Matt64341.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 11:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Could be it needs to get transmission fluid change? I have not change the transmission fluid in a while! I will take it to a transmission shop tomorrow and see what they say! I hope I don't need a new or replaced transmission. I will junk this car if that is the case.

Thanks Matt64341.[/b]
Just get a fluid change, don't tell them you have had any trouble with it. A lot of transmission places will tell you that it needs a rebuild or replacement give you an estimate for a couple thousand dollars even if it doesn't really need it. If they take it in knowing you think there is a problem, they will 'find' one. Also get those CEL codes read somewhere, there are codes for shift solenoids which are inside the pan and if that is a problem they can be replaced without a whole new transmission.

1995 Millenia S
Parts Now For Sale
http://forums.mazdaworld.org/100-mil...arts-sale.html
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
MazdaWorld Member

Quote:
Just get a fluid change, don't tell them you have had any trouble with it. A lot of transmission places will tell you that it needs a rebuild or replacement give you an estimate for a couple thousand dollars even if it doesn't really need it. If they take it in knowing you think there is a problem, they will 'find' one. Also get those CEL codes read somewhere, there are codes for shift solenoids which are inside the pan and if that is a problem they can be replaced without a whole new transmission.[/b]

Matt64341,

Thanks for the guidance. I will try to see if the auto part store has a code reader service they they might do it for free. If not I get the transmission fluid change; hoping they will come up with the fix. If not; then I have to go to the auto service center and have them do it!

I will let you know what takes place.

Harry
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
MazdaWorld Member

Just got done at the Mazda Dealership,

The came up with an Diagnostic Trouble Code P0730 Incorrect Gear Ratio
The last step of the diagnostic - 5 reads if no reinspection diagnostic trouble code appears: The problem is a temporary slip of the clutch, and should be investigated further.

After driving back from the dealership; no engine graphics re-appears!

I am going to sell the Millenia; for right now! (It has 117K and I don't want to shell out possibly $1,500 or more to try to fix it!)

If someone else thinks I should fix it or keep the car; let me know!

Harry
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

When did you/have you ever change the tranny fluid? You tranny may be dying.. You can drop the pan and clean inside/change the fluid/take photos to show us. I did it myself and it is not that hard. Up to $100 for the job is a fair price if you have a shop done it.

2001 Mazda Millenia S 178k Brilliant Black
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
MazdaWorld Member

Quote:
When did you/have you ever change the tranny fluid? You tranny may be dying.. You can drop the pan and clean inside/change the fluid/take photos to show us. I did it myself and it is not that hard. Up to $100 for the job is a fair price if you have a shop done it.[/b]

Saint,

The fluid was last changed in the Spring of 2008. Jiffy Lube had a special and I did it the same time as my oil change. So it only a year old. They did not clean inside at all!

Do you recommend me taken it to transmission shop for further diagnostics?

Harry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page