How to remove rear strut - Mazda Forum

MazdaWorld.org is the premier Mazda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2009, 10:36 PM
Mazda Newbie

Hi all!

My drivers rear strut has been leaking for quite some time now, I would like to replace it with the one I purchased from the wreckers.

I do not have a service manual for this car (1998 Eunos 800M -- any download available?) and was wandering what needs to be disconnected / unbolted to easily remove the strut as I do not want to use spring compressors while its still installed. (major pita if I have to).

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2009, 03:56 AM
Platinum Member

There is a link to the factory service manuals in MillyOwner's signature. Copied and pasted here for you
http://members.cox.net/sciberpunkt/tech/docs/

From what I remember when I removed mine... you will need to remove
Rear seat
Rear Back rest
Rear Shelf trim
You will need to go down into the two holes now visible in in the rear shelf to remove the retaining bolts

I don't know if you can get by without a spring compressor for the rear. I compressed mine and undid the bolts so as to not shoot them straight at my rear window. I didn't want to take the chance.

Considering all the work involved I probably wouldn't go with used struts. I would hate to have to do the job twice.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:39 AM
Mazda Newbie

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, It should be possible to remove the bottom knuckle without a spring compressor whilst having a hydraulic jack hold it up but just for safety sake I would hook the spring compressors on to take up the expansion, but its a real pita to tighten the spring whilst still mounted on the car due to limited room for air gun and it being mega slow by open wrench or ratchet.

I did not have much of a choice with the strut, I was not prepared to pay Mazda over $500 for a single strut (I called.)

This supercharged milly has 115,000 km and I do not know if I want to spend another $3500 for Mazda to do the 200,000km service, I am thinking I will drive it until the belt snaps after 200,000km.

Its just too damned expensive to have Mazda do such a major service, and I do not have the will to do it myself (I can, just dont want to.)

This particular one has smoked every since new (Mazda said its normal -- belonged to my parents first who did not care), which I believe is the supercharger seal which is a major embarrassment when starting from cold in the morning with lovely clouds of smoke wafting about!

Major Kudo's for the service manual, very tasty indeed .. )

Quote:
There is a link to the factory service manuals in MillyOwner's signature. Copied and pasted here for you
http://members.cox.net/sciberpunkt/tech/docs/

From what I remember when I removed mine... you will need to remove
Rear seat
Rear Back rest
Rear Shelf trim
You will need to go down into the two holes now visible in in the rear shelf to remove the retaining bolts

I don't know if you can get by without a spring compressor for the rear. I compressed mine and undid the bolts so as to not shoot them straight at my rear window. I didn't want to take the chance.

Considering all the work involved I probably wouldn't go with used struts. I would hate to have to do the job twice.[/b]
Old 07-20-2009, 07:08 AM
Platinum Member

Sorry to hear about the supercharger. It plagues most that own that type of Millenia. You do not have to pay $500+ for the struts from the dealer. They can be had in the US for ~$100 a pair new with lifetime warranty. Where are you located?
Old 07-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member

You can fit the spring compressors before jacking up the car completely, saves you alot of hassle. I had to cut off the spring compressor bolts about 2 inches to use them on the Xedos. It is a PITA to get the fork over the lower suspension arm without compressing the spring like an inch. Do NOT work on the car without proper stands! May easily end up in the news without you being able to see it.

I recommend KYB GR2s, last longer than stock, at least mine do so far. I wouldn't install used shocks either, unless you know their milage is very low. And definitely not on one side only. Also change the dustcover/ bumpstop. They tend to detoriate faster than the second set of shocks, even the first actually.

Originator of the Mazdaworld Old Boys Team!
Old 07-21-2009, 09:00 AM
Mazda Newbie

Its a common issue with the supercharger? I never knew, I thought this was a rare occurrence.

If I would have known they are around USD $100 I would have got them, can they be purchased online or do I need someone in the states to get them for me? (do not know anyone in the states).

I am located in Melbourne, Australia.

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the supercharger. It plagues most that own that type of Millenia. You do not have to pay $500+ for the struts from the dealer. They can be had in the US for ~$100 a pair new with lifetime warranty. Where are you located?[/b]
Old 07-21-2009, 09:06 AM
Mazda Newbie

I ended up getting the strut in and out in around 15 minutes (not including all the taking parcel shelf, etc out).

The trick is undoing the top bolts, then me (209 pounds) standing on the disc bouncing up and done while my step-son holds the strut in its mounting position and flicking the fork to the side, same goes for installation.

I wanted to change the dust cover and bump stop as mine were in better condition, but could not get the strut top loose -- oh well....

Quote:
You can fit the spring compressors before jacking up the car completely, saves you alot of hassle. I had to cut off the spring compressor bolts about 2 inches to use them on the Xedos. It is a PITA to get the fork over the lower suspension arm without compressing the spring like an inch. Do NOT work on the car without proper stands! May easily end up in the news without you being able to see it.

I recommend KYB GR2s, last longer than stock, at least mine do so far. I wouldn't install used shocks either, unless you know their milage is very low. And definitely not on one side only. Also change the dustcover/ bumpstop. They tend to detoriate faster than the second set of shocks, even the first actually.[/b]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement