2001 Mazda Millenia tcs on/off engine surges please help - Mazda Forum

MazdaWorld.org is the premier Mazda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2009, 11:14 PM
MazdaWorld Member

Send a message via MSN to Sothrowedmex

First off I hope I am in the correct forum. If not, moderators please put me in the right one so that my question can get prompt attention.

Everytime I drive as soon as I get to 20mph sometimes sooner, my tcs off light come on and the other tcs indicator blinks. My engine then surges. This has been going on for about 8 months but just been dealing with it. This car is junk. I wish i never had bought it. already had to spend $3500 to rebuild the tranny and $800+ to replace the starter. Also had to replace a solenoid but i was blessed to have that still under warranty. I dont know what else to do. Its so annoying, in order to fix it, I have to turn the car off then back on I guess this resets the computer or something. Its only a temp fix, as in a few minutes the same thing happens. I am at wits end. I am so very annoyed and upset that I have to go thru this. Please someone help me. When I took it to a Mazda dealer (hoping they could fix it) they ended up just fixing a starter and blamed the rest on cylinder misfire but wanted to charge me $2500+ to fix it.

It is a 2001 Mazda Millenia S 2.5 Miller cycle engine Supercharged

Please help.

P.S couldnt find the search button.
HID headlights, fog lights and high beams.
Pioneer AVH-4100DvD 7" lcd screen
(2) 7" screens in the headrest
(2) 6.5 in. Infinity Kappa 225peak, 75rms (2) 6x9 Infinity Kappa 330peak, 110rms
4 ch Rockford Fosgate Power T400-4 60wx4 @4 ohms rms
(2) Rockford Fosgate Punch 12" P3's 1000peak 500rm powered by a Rockford Fosgate Punch P1000-1BD 1000wx1 @1 ohms rms (500 rms to each speaker)
(4) Tweeters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2009, 11:40 PM

First off, the search button is down at the botom of the page or Here http://forums.mazdaworld.org/index.php?act=Search Second if you had a misfire there should be a code. Is your cel on? Find out your codes at autozone or whereever and post them and people here can help diagnose yuor problem better. Also want to make sure, you do have the supercharged engine right? It's a 2.3 not 2.5 just fyi. Here's a post I found quickly searching the forum http://forums.mazdaworld.org/index.php?sho...mp;#entry596978 He has similar problems you have so it may help.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:08 AM
Silver Member

I like the username You were ripped off on those jobs. The starter is completely unrelated to your symptoms, costs around $150, and should cost about 2 hours of labor to replace. At most that job could cost you about $400-450 even at the dealer. A used transmission could be sourced and installed for less than $1000 total. As far as the problems, it is most likely vacuum lines, or your ABV solenoids. The vacuum lines and T's cost less than $50 with shipping for silicone hoses and brass T's. Much better than the stock lines. The solenoids can be tested with a multimeter and cost around $50-60. The problem is replacing the lines is labor intensive. If you are going to take it to the dealer expect to pay for 3-4+ hours of labor, and they will try to get you to use rubber hoses and plastic T's.

1995 Millenia S
Parts Now For Sale
http://forums.mazdaworld.org/100-mil...arts-sale.html
Old 10-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Banned by Goliat6288

now having what Matt said in mind you should really start to consider getting your hands dirty. Now if you still don't like the 150-450 price range then buy a starter yourself, i found one for $115, and install it yourself. I did this a couple days ago and it was a little hard but it can be done. how u ask? well there is a member Milly Owner who has the factory service manual (FSM) on his signature. Trust me when you fix the car up that frown will be upside down. ... i also recommend you do the vac lines and T's yourself. there is a diagram of the lines on the tech section on the top of the Millenia section. Good luck with your car.

Lowered on Ksport Kontrol Pro Coilovers
KLZE powered
Rolling on Mazda 6 snowflakes
Fixing my mistakes
http://milleniatech.net/ by Millyowner
Old 10-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Gold Member

the car is going limp home mode, most likely a problem with abv circuit/solenoids. it will only get worse. 4300 for a trans and a starter, and chances are it didnt need them. if you have to pay someone to repair your car, i strongly advise you to get rid of it. and the dealer is NOT at the top of the food chain, but their prices are. a mazda dealer tech has no advantage over an independent; basically, no one out there really knows much about these cars.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:01 AM
Banned by Goliat6288

Quote:
the car is going limp home mode, most likely a problem with abv circuit/solenoids. it will only get worse. 4300 for a trans and a starter, and chances are it didnt need them. if you have to pay someone to repair your car, i strongly advise you to get rid of it. and the dealer is NOT at the top of the food chain, but their prices are. a mazda dealer tech has no advantage over an independent; basically, no one out there really knows much about these cars.[/b]
hey ken, a little harsh there dont you think? if i would have never found this site id be doing the same.

KLZE powered
Fixing my mistakes
Old 10-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
hey ken, a little harsh there dont you think? if i would have never found this site id be doing the same.[/b]
i dont think i'm being harsh. sometimes the facts of life are harsh. i see a lot of posts by owners who are not happy. 3500 for a new trans? i think he got scammed. 800 for a new starter? there are 2 problems here, and they are common to a lot of owners. first, if you cannot do a lot of the repair work yourself, this car can eat money. i am always trying to encourage owners to do their own work. if someone is close, they can come here and i will help. otherwise, they are at the mercy of whomever. which brings up number 2. owners think that the dealer is the final choice. actually, the only difference from the mazda dealer and most other shops is the price. just because mazda sold the car, and has all the information, dont mean they can fix anything. they also have no idea. i think they are the worst at throwing parts at the car and hoping they stick.

if i had to pay someone to do all the repairs i have done on these cars, i would have gotten rid of them a long time ago.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Banned by Goliat6288

i understand your point, and that was the first thing you told me on my first post. I appreciate the fact that you did because that got me into doing my own thing unless its out of my league. This guy is a new member and wants to know whats wrong. instead of throwing him to selling his car a good old " fix it yourself for 200 rather than throw it to the dealer and spend 1000" would have done. Or maybe " i advice you to start fixing it yourself or else this car will eat up your money quick". i must admit that i was one of those who thought the dealer knew the cars better than anyone else since they sold and had to fix the car while in production but i never went to it because i knew the prices were sky high. That was only until i stumbled onto this forum which i have a lot to thank for.

Sorry for getting off topic but just wanted to say that.

ihatethismazda - any update on what you plan on doing?

KLZE powered
Fixing my mistakes
Old 10-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

I have never gotten the Xedos back without a mechanical issue (once) or body damage (twice from the same dealer without telling me about it). At this point I decided NEVER to allow a dealer to touch her.

I've had the 6 serviced once to my satisfaction by a 3rd dealer. Not without damage; a test pilot busted a rim, but they were honest about it and fitted 4 new rims plus an alignment for free. The new rims were much nicer too

Originator of the Mazdaworld Old Boys Team!
Old 02-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Mazda Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to timoxendine@rocketmail.com

I had the same thing go wrong on my 02 S 2.3 and I unhooked the vacuum lines from the "T" and have not had a problem since. Probably not a good thing, but have been driving over six months now and no jerking.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement