more fuel pump relay help 01 millenia - Mazda Forum

MazdaWorld.org is the premier Mazda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2011, 10:37 PM
Mazda Newbie

Default more fuel pump relay help 01 millenia

hello guys, newbie here and i have read alot of the relay threads and cant seem to find the answer i need... i am not getting fuel out of fuel pump and i tested the wires at the filter and cant get anything. i understand that i can test the fuel pump by hot wiring the diagnostic port under the hood, my problems are.... what port do i put 12 volts to and also where exactly is the fuel pump relay located? thanks for any help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2011, 02:40 PM
MazdaWorld Member

I don't know about the hot wiring, but for relay (and other) locations, there is a very useful guide titled "Component Locations" posted here under "Technical Guides". A link is near the top of the main Millenia page. Here is a direct link, but you should look at the listing under Technical Guides as there is lots of good info in there.

Component Locations

The locations of many items does vary between the S (2.3L) and the 2.5L version, so look carefully.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Platinum Member

It would help to post what year and engine you have 2.3 or 2.5?
Old 01-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member

IIRC, on my S, the relay is below the brake fluid reservoir on the firewall and is blue in color. May be the same on all models.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Mazda Newbie

ok guys, thanks for the input. i just got home and tried to find the fuel pump relay again and got no where, finally just tried to start it up and shaazam, she started right up. so i put the new fuel filter on that i just bought and did some testing... only two wires going in to the top of the tank, black wire and a yelleow wire-(yellow-hot black-ground) when the car is running, but not when it is just switched "on", not even for a few seconds like most cars that i have worked on. i still dont know which relay it is or even if there is one. does anyone know where i can get a wiring diagram for this specific car? btw its 2001 2.5 non-turbo. thanks again guys
Old 01-11-2011, 08:03 PM
MazdaWorld Member

Click on the milleniatech link in Millyowners signature (in the post immediately above yours) and go to the Documentation area. You will find download links for the 1996 Wiring diagrams and 1996 Service manual there. They are indispensible if you are going to work on the car. Virtually nothing changed since then. You will find the wiring info and location for the fuel pump relay on pages Z-24 and Z-25.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Mazda Newbie

i worked on it some more and the problem went away, well then it came back the other day, so the first thing i did was take the dist cap off and clean the contacts real good, then it ran fine for a day then it started shutting off when it comes to a stop( it starts right back up and goes). it through some codes 0305(cylinder 5 misfire) 0400(egr flow malfunction) 1521-1522(variable resistance induction system solenoid circuit 1 and 2). do you guys have any idea where i need to start tracking down this problem, or any ideas what it might be? ill try to narrow it down alittle more when i dont have to work so late. thanks for any help.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:02 AM
Gold Member

This guide will show you where the relay is, as well as which pins to short to enable the fuel pump.

Fuel Filter Changing Guide

please remember that the key has to be in the "on" position for this to work. dont start it, just set it to on. when you jumper the right connection you will clearly hear the fuel flowing past the pressure regulator. If it's quiet your fuel pump is not working.

It helps to do this in a quiet place. basically sounds like running water in your house pipes. muffled, but audible.

Good luck and please post back with your results
Old 01-20-2011, 09:15 AM
Gold Member

also, the ecu must be seeing certain conditions, or it will not power the pump relay. if the engine dont start turning within a certain amount of time, it shuts down the pump, stuff like that. on some of the bmw's, there is a very popular relay that supplies the ecu with power. it failed all the time. if this relay is bad, nothing works. a lot of shops would call looking for the fuel pump relay. they would have jumped the pump, and it came on, so they would reason that it was the relay, because no power was getting to the pump. i would tell them to first check the dme(ecu) relay, and where it was in the fusebox. i would sell hundreds of dme relays, and i cant remember selling a fuel pump relay. heck, i sold hundreds of fuel pumps, too, but no relays. i am not saying the relay is good, just that there are a lot of mitigating circumstances.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Mazda Newbie

its baaaacckk, just put some new plugs in and took it for a little drive and noticed that when you are accelerating if you hold the foot pedal in one certain spot, the engine will die. if you let off a little or mash it just a little it will pick up and go. so when i got homei plugged my scanner back in it shows no codes. i did look at the vris solenoids and when you are reving it up they both acuate the rods that they are connected to( one at a little lower rpm than the other) could all these syptoms be caused by a faulty throttle position sensor, also is there a check for it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement