LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Millenia S Water Pump Replacement

Greetings All,

My 1999 Millenia is getting to be a money pit. This year so far, I have dealt with overheating, engine sensor, and a new fuel pump. All were repaired at the local garage. Now I have a broken drive belt due to the water pump pulley seizing. This pump was replaced two years ago.

I’m looking for directions to complete a water pump replacement myself. Does anyone have these or any pointers?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 11:53 AM
Gold Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan169@yahoo.com View Post

Greetings All,

My 1999 Millenia is getting to be a money pit. This year so far, I have dealt with overheating, engine sensor, and a new fuel pump. All were repaired at the local garage. Now I have a broken drive belt due to the water pump pulley seizing. This pump was replaced two years ago.

I’m looking for directions to complete a water pump replacement myself. Does anyone have these or any pointers?

Thanks
i just did this a couple months ago. actually, i did it about 5 times. and it is a bit of a chore. the pump is kind of a puzzle to get off. you will have to remove the pipe that attaches to the upper radiator hose, and to be safe, you should get and replace the 2 orings on that pipe. i had no idea, but i do have a head gasket set, but i think only 1 was in there, i had to get the other from mazda. since it was 100+deg here then, i didnt mind waiting. there also is a black sheet metal shield that goes behind the pump that has to come off, too. so the pump, shield, crossover pipe all kind of have to come off at the same time. when you pull the pump, it will make sense. it sure dont make sense to me on the design. i put the pump on, then after installing the timing belt, i found i had not put the pump gasket on. so pull it all off. when you torque the pump and pipe bolts, go back and check them. the o rings kinda seat, and you will find that the bolts need to be re-torqued. IMPORTANT-when FIRST removing the serpentine belts, MAKE SURE YOU LOOSEN THE P/S PUMP PULLEY NUT, AND THE WATER PUMP PULLEY BOLTS. if the p/s pulley nut wont break free, there are 4 hole on the outer edge. they can be used to put some studs and then use a long screwdriver or pry bar to hold the pulley. you CANNOT remove the left cover unless the pulley comes off. of course, you will have to remove the passenger side motor mount, and jack the engine several times to get stuff to clear, like the bolts for the belt tensioners. you have to pull off all kinds of stuff to get the covers off, the oil dipstick tube, you might want to get a new oring, and the vacuum pump tube, and leave the hoses attached, one of them is ONE WAY only. mess that up, and it will not be fun. the harmonic balancer is on there 157-166 ft lbs, i have a 600 ft/lb impact, so no problemo, but if you dont have air, good luck. the marks for the timing belt are really hard to see, especially the front bank. whomever designed that mark needs a good kick in the ass. with steel toed boots. i changed out all pulleys and tensioners. i would recommend a lot of tools, some that are really nice, imho, 1/4 extensions, and sockets with the u joint on them, esp the 10mm, to pull the effing bolts that hold the timing cover on. deep sockets for like the motor mount nuts, and if the mount has never been changed, i guarantee you it is bad. i have a gearwrench serpentine belt tool, it has a ratchet, extension, and several special sockets. it works way better than the kd tools with the long bar. some can use a couple of box wrenches. i cant, them tensioners are STOUT.
ok, i probably forgot a lot, BUT, this job ate my lunch. i had a huge air pocket in the cooling system after refilling. i even thought possibly the new pump was bad, and put another on. and yup, took it all back apart to change it. my gut said it was an air pocket, but i read on the web that honda had a huge problem with a run of bad pumps around this time. no matter what i did, the car would overheat. finally, i got the airlift tool to refill the coolant, and it did the trick. i have another post somewhere about this tool. again, you will need air to use this tool, but it is foolproof. i will never fill another cooling system without this tool. and no, the lisle funnel didnt work, nor did the upside down soda bottle either. i would also suggest you have a nice vise to re-compress the tensioner. it is iffy that you get the timing belt lined up on the first try. i had it one tooth off, so yup, do it all over again, but not the pump. part of the problem was that it was so hot, i could only work on the car for a few minutes at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page