Image or picture of drive belts on 99 model? How to change the belt - Mazda Forum

MazdaWorld.org is the premier Mazda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2012, 08:24 PM
Mazda Newbie

Default Image or picture of drive belts on 99 model? How to change the belt

I bought a 1999 mazda millenia supercharged with 138K. I was trying to park and I heard a noise and I knew it was the belt tearing up. What is the belt that you can view from the top called?
it is the top pulley. Any ones has an image? How many belts are there and how difficult to replace them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 10:21 PM
Gold Member

there are only 2 belts. however, your problem may involve one of the tensioners, and they aint cheap. like 350 each, and they are NOT the same. also, to change a tensioner, depending on which one, can be pretty involved. places like oreillys and autozone have the belt diagrams, and the belts, but not the tensioners. while some others can do the job without it, i find that using a serpentine belt tool is way easier than 2 open end wrenches. and the serpentine belt tool with the rachet is way better than the long straight handle one, but it also costs a lot more. i have both, and i think the straight handle one sucks.

sucky one:

Serpentine Belt Tool Kit

good one:

GearWrench Serpentine Belt Tool

i always pull the passenger motor mount, and the upper radiator hose, which means draining the radiator. otherwise, there aint no clearance. if you pull the motor mount, then you need to support the motor with a jack. of course, to do this, you need to pull the right side wheel and the splash shield, and several other small parts. i also find that i have to jack up the motor to get the tensioner bolts out
Old 03-31-2012, 12:17 AM
Platinum Member

Pepboys has the sucky one as a loaner.

Tool Rental, Automotive Tool Rental, Power Tools Rental | Pep Boys

BTW I didnt change my belts for 60k miles. Surprisingly no noise and no cracks on them (goodyear). Should I be worried?
Old 04-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member

I got that sucky tool from Harbor Freight, on sale, plus a 20% off coupon. So it cost me about 9 bucks.

I followed this guide in the technical section. There are some good tips & tricks in this guide, with pictures.

Link --> Guide to Changing Serpentine Belts

I also highly recommend the Goodyear "Gatorback" belts. Even over OEM Mazda belts.

Last edited by mazda-fla; 04-01-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:39 AM
Silver Member

dcnaser, did you just get the car recently?
Old 04-04-2012, 12:15 AM
Gold Member

This is the one I use. ratcheting with it's own case. a real beauty for those of you that live in Canada and have access to these guys. Not sure if they ship to the USA

Ratcheting Serpentine Belt Wrench Set | Princess Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement