2001 Millenia timing PLEASE HELP - Mazda Forum

MazdaWorld.org is the premier Mazda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2013, 02:32 PM
Mazda Newbie

Default 2001 Millenia timing PLEASE HELP

I have a 2001 Millenia 2.5l that has now jumped time for the fourth time in 2 months. I replaced timing belt tensioner all 3 times, however the tensioner doesn't seem to be working properly. Each time I remove the timing belt cover I can see that the belt has slid towards the engine and the inside (engine side) of the belt is being rubbed by something, but not breaking the belt. What could be causing this. I am a mechanic for a used dealership so I know I have installed everything correctly. Let me add that the bolt holes for the tensioner were nearly stripped out and due to the limited amount of space I did not re-tap them but used longer bolt and spacer to allow for the bolt to reach proper torque specs. Please advise on what else I could try, and thanks in advance, I greatly appreciate any and all advice. I have never had this much trouble out of a simple timing belt. @#%$

Last edited by laauto; 03-22-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 06:57 PM
Silver Member

WELCOME, and sorry to hear about your issue. I had an issue last time I did my timing belt due to a bolt that snapped and I had to drill out and use a helicoil but that was on the AC/alt belt tensioner. Where are you getting the timing belt tensioner assuming you are talking about the hydraulic tensioner. That is not cheap to replace every time either, along with all that has to be removed just to work on it. I would not know what would be causing it other than possibly there is something wrong with the belt itself? Did you change the pullies also?
TomK
2002 BMW 530iA Sterling/black 93,000 miles
Old 03-23-2013, 09:51 AM
Mazda Newbie

UPDATE: Removed the timing belt tensioner pulley and found that it was "coned" on the bottom from what I am guessing is improper installation from the previous mechanic, and I use that term lightly LOL, that claims to have fixed the car before getting fired. Will be replacing that part today and re-torqueing all bolts. Will follow-up when completed. The plus to this I suppose is that it now only takes 2 hours start to finish, and I believe it could be done blindfolded after this many tear downs. LOL
Old 03-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Silver Member

I have always replaced all of the rollers and pulleys when I have done this job along with the tensioner just because I do not want to take it all apart for a single part. Good find on the pulley and hope it takes care of it.
TomK
2002 BMW 530iA Sterling/black 93,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement