how to get off of "hold" - Mazda Forum

MazdaWorld.org is the premier Mazda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2008, 04:42 PM
Mazda Newbie

Hello Mazdaites.

I have a '94 Protege (in that funky blue-green color that makes it easy to find in a crowd) and about a week ago, the 'hold' light started flashing.

I hadn't pushed the 'hold' button on the gear shift, but I thought I'd push it to cancel it. Nope. The hold feature is supposed to go off after the ignition is turned off, so I pulled over, turned the car off and then started it up again.

No hold light . . . oh, not wait, there it is again. It comes on when the car starts to get into second gear, I think. I mostly drive in the city, so I've been able to drive around, but I could tell when I was on the highway that it wasn't shifting in to 5th, and so I stayed at about 50 the whole time (the manual says not to exceed 63, which is admirably precise).

I have it at the mechanic, and they know that it's stuck in overdrive, but not what to do about it (it's a independent mechanics shop, not a Mazda dealer).

I hope one of your knowledegable folks will have some insight for me.

Thanks!

Julia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2008, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Unfortunately the hold light blinking or coming on when its not suppose to is usually a sign of transmission problems. A Mazda tech would know that. Is the check engine light on? If it is then you should get the codes scanned and then post them here to try to help diagnose your car.
-Steven

<span style="font-family:Verdana">2001 Mazda Millenia L R.I.P
Old 10-23-2008, 01:39 PM

Send a message via MSN to psychoholic_genius

Quote:
Hello Mazdaites.

I have a '94 Protege (in that funky blue-green color that makes it easy to find in a crowd) and about a week ago, the 'hold' light started flashing.

I hadn't pushed the 'hold' button on the gear shift, but I thought I'd push it to cancel it. Nope. The hold feature is supposed to go off after the ignition is turned off, so I pulled over, turned the car off and then started it up again.

No hold light . . . oh, not wait, there it is again. It comes on when the car starts to get into second gear, I think. I mostly drive in the city, so I've been able to drive around, but I could tell when I was on the highway that it wasn't shifting in to 5th, and so I stayed at about 50 the whole time (the manual says not to exceed 63, which is admirably precise).

I have it at the mechanic, and they know that it's stuck in overdrive, but not what to do about it (it's a independent mechanics shop, not a Mazda dealer).

I hope one of your knowledegable folks will have some insight for me.

Thanks!

Julia[/b]
Hold Light flashing:
1) Defective throttle sensor
2) Defective vehicle speed sensor
3) Defective pulse generator (not the alternator.)
4) Defective 1-2 solenoid
5) Defective 2-3 solenoid
6) Defective 3-4 solenoid
7) Defective lock-up solenoid

Check all power and ground supplies, bad grounds cause more electronic problems than failed parts.

My Facebook, My MSN space, My Ride when first purchased, My Ride undergoing mechanical refresh
My Ride, died 4-22-2010.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:49 AM
Silver Member

Mazda FWD automatics are the worst in history. Followed closely by Mopar FWD trannies. If your hold light is blinking the tranny is toast.
Eclipse 5 1/4 seperates up front.
Eclipse 6 x 9 's out back.
2 12" Kicker XPL's in a sealed box.
2 Cerwin Vega 2 channel amps :
amps bridged at 350 watts each.
LED lights in the turn signals and brake lights.
Custom mounted 32 LED panel in the 3rd brake light.
Blue LED lights in the interior.
5% limo on side windows and 35% on rear window (will be going to 5% soon).
Avistart 4300 remote start alarm.
8000K HID Headlights.

Coming soon: Drop springs , CD rotors , Headers , Custom exhaust , CAI and some new carpet. Oh and more LED's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement