No start when cold - Mazda Forum

MazdaWorld.org is the premier Mazda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Mazda Newbie

Default No start when cold

1987 323 1.6L with fuel injection, no turbo, 5 speed manual trans, 157,000 miles, purchased new in USA. Never wrecked. The car is not kept in a garage. Registered today for this forum.
I do have other vehicles, thus the relatively low accumulated mileage.
Searched for previous posts about my problem and found no exact match. My car runs very well and starts well so long as the temperature is about 45 F or above. At 35 F or below, it will not start from cold-- and since it does not start from cold, I do not know what it would do if the engine was warm and the ambient temperature quite cold. The battery is about 1 year old, the starter ALWAYS spins the engine well, cold or hot. But when cold, it does not go beyond the starter spinning the engine.
Only recently has the temperature here dropped low enough for the problem to be evident. Perhaps the basic problem has existed for a time, a few months perhaps, prior to just recently.
So the problem is not the battery nor the starter and apparently not in the ignition switch near the steering wheel. Not moisture accumulated in the distributor nor a problem with the rotor, as best I can tell. No codes or Check Engine light displayed.
The nearest dealership is not known for honesty and I suspect that no one working there now in the service department was there when this car was popular. It might take them days to find the problem- and present a bill for more than the possible sale price of the car. But the car serves me well except for this problem.
So I need your help with diagnosing this problem and am hoping that someone has helpful suggestions. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Leztuick; 11-07-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Mazda Newbie

Hopefully some with similar experience (and a solution) will chime in. This morning it started and ran beautifully at 47 deg F.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement