Accelerator sticking - Mazda Forum

MazdaWorld.org is the premier Mazda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2004, 08:45 AM
Mazda Newbie

Yes I know this was asked and responded to already. But the nature of my question is a little different. First off, it is not sticking in the down position, but rather has a bit of a stick right from give go. It you press down with a little more force from stop, it will go, but causes me and everyone in the vehicle whiplash :-)

I know someone said to pull off the intake hose and clean it with a toothbrush and carb cleaner, but what should I be looking for exactly and does brake cleaner work as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2004, 02:01 PM
Silver Member

I'd check out the wire on the Throttle Body and make sure there is nothing obstructing it. Then maybe try to work the butterfly(where the wire meets) with your hand to make sure again there is no obstruction or sticking. If that looks all good, then go underneath your dash and take a look at the accelerator itself and make sure that is working too! I'd do this when the car is off .

Mobile Internet?Visit www.pangeaproductions.net/wap
Old 05-16-2004, 07:12 PM
Mazda Newbie

Take it to your dealer and have them replace the throttle body.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:25 PM
Mazda Newbie

a sticking t-body relates to one thing.most noticed when accelerating of a stop.just remove the t-body air intake bellows,and clean the carbon build off around the t-blade with carb cleaner, and your done.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:05 PM
Mazda Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by rfcflager@Dec 9 2004, 02:25 PM
a sticking t-body relates to one thing.most noticed when accelerating of a stop.just remove the t-body air intake bellows,and clean the carbon build off around the t-blade with carb cleaner, and your done.
[snapback]226613[/snapback]
Agreed, with throttle plate closed there is a ring of carbon build up in throttle body, it makes the throttle plate stick, thats all you need to clean off. No need to replace the throttle body. Also try to clean the edges of the throttle plate itself.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:37 PM
Mazda Newbie

t-bodys never need replacement.working for mazda 17yrs and never needed to replace one.honestly.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:57 PM
Mazda Newbie

throttle was sticky on dad's tribute as well. was replaced for under a recall on 01' tribute
Old 10-19-2006, 10:45 PM
Mazda Newbie

The throttle body has a design deficiency ( confirm by may dealer). I am on my 3rd one. The throttle body linkage wears and sticks on the top end. With the 3rd one, it work well for about 6 months, now it is starting to stick again.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Mazda Newbie

Quote:
Yes I know this was asked and responded to already. But the nature of my question is a little different. First off, it is not sticking in the down position, but rather has a bit of a stick right from give go. It you press down with a little more force from stop, it will go, but causes me and everyone in the vehicle whiplash :-)

I know someone said to pull off the intake hose and clean it with a toothbrush and carb cleaner, but what should I be looking for exactly and does brake cleaner work as well?
[/b]

Quote:

[/b]

Prairieboy
we had the same problem but just happened all at once yesterday while driving home went to stop at a stop sign and the engine was staying revved up but then went back to idle. but when we started to go through the intersection the cable broke. I talked with mazda service dept. and they said they have never had one brake before and has never heard of this happening but said they will fix it for full price as it has been replaced for the defect in 05.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:23 AM
Mazda Newbie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdoggtn View Post
Prairieboy
we had the same problem but just happened all at once yesterday while driving home went to stop at a stop sign and the engine was staying revved up but then went back to idle. but when we started to go through the intersection the cable broke. I talked with mazda service dept. and they said they have never had one brake before and has never heard of this happening but said they will fix it for full price as it has been replaced for the defect in 05.
I had a problem with the sticky throttle but was only at take-off, the wagon also needed new spark plugs. In an attempt to change the plugs I removed the manifold which gave me easier access to the plugs at the rear of the motor. I had the manifold on my work bench and found there was carbon deposits around the butterfly vavle (throttle plate) which was causing the valve to stick, I used a good carb cleaner (CRC or equivalent) to remove the carbon deposit. After the cleaning and a bit of elbow grease the valve opened like a dream. The wife was very impressed her sticky accelerator was no more. Having the manifold out made this task a lot easier to do. Unless you know what you are doing my suggestion would be is to take the manifold out and give it a good clean, and use a good quality carb cleaner. There was carbon deposits throughout the manifold and valve inlets which was quite crusted up, with the manifold out I gave everything a good clean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement