low fuel light - Mazda Forum

MazdaWorld.org is the premier Mazda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2004, 05:33 PM
Mazda Newbie

when the low fuel light comes on in my 2004 tribute it appears that i am just about out of fuel, when i fill up it usually takes close to the 16 gal max. is there a reserve tank that mazda does'nt mention or are you out of fuel and SOL if you are not near a gas station. previous vehicles that i've owned (honda, vw. etc) list a reserve available after the light comes on, info usually found in the owners manual, but mazda lists no such info. anyone have any insight on this since i really don't want to run out of fuel and don't intend to play chicken with the car.

thanx

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2004, 06:09 PM
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to malice4you Send a message via Yahoo to malice4you

figure out the car's average gas milage and how much you fill it for...

that way, you can ignore the retarted fuel gauge and go by the trip odometer...the gas light is an idiot light anyway...it comes on at just under 1/4 tank in my millenia S...

look in your owners manual - i know for a fact they will tell you the gas tank capacity - probably at least 20 gallons...(i do not own a tribute...check the specifications part of the manual)

if you get 18mpg average, and fill up with 16 gallons, fill up at around 290 miles...keep a record of what you filled up with and write the miles on the trip odometer on your receipt before resetting it, always fill it, and then after a few weeks of typical driving, you'll know exactly when to fill up

S[/b]
Old 07-04-2004, 06:09 PM
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to malice4you Send a message via Yahoo to malice4you

oh, and welcome to the site

-Dave

S[/b]
Old 07-05-2004, 12:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to zmarko

Quote:
Originally posted by malice4you@Jul 4 2004, 06:09 PM
figure out the car's average gas milage and how much you fill it for...

that way, you can ignore the retarted fuel gauge and go by the trip odometer...the gas light is an idiot light anyway...it comes on at just under 1/4 tank in my millenia S...

look in your owners manual - i know for a fact they will tell you the gas tank capacity - probably at least 20 gallons...(i do not own a tribute...check the specifications part of the manual)

if you get 18mpg average, and fill up with 16 gallons, fill up at around 290 miles...keep a record of what you filled up with and write the miles on the trip odometer on your receipt before resetting it, always fill it, and then after a few weeks of typical driving, you'll know exactly when to fill up
Good idea, however, the only problem I can see with that is a change in driving patterns. There are times when I'm very heavy on the throttle, and yet other times when I'm very light on the throttle (mood perhaps?), which I wouldn't be able to stick to a set mileage for a tank of fuel (just my opinion though). Anyway, I've run into the "low fuel" light in my Tribute quite a few times. I've never run out of fuel though. Most car manufacturers will design the car to have the "idiot" fuel light come on with 1 or 2 gallons left in the tank (originally, over time it may change due to gunk in the tank and whatnot). Mazda lists the V6 Tribute fuel tank as 16 gallons 4 cyl Tribute fuel tank as 15 gallons. However, you can fit more than that in there as that doesn't take into account the filler neck and whatnot (typically 1/2 - 1 gallon can fit in those depending on length from cap opening to the actual tank).

My owners manual for my Tribute says there is a "reserve", but doesn't list how much that is. I'd just keep a close eye on your gauge and fill up accordingly. I always try and fill up at 1/4 tank at the least.

'01 Mazda Tribute 4WD
'95 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
Old 07-06-2004, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to dark angel

i measure on road trips...even driving usually.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:04 AM
Platinum Member

the 130 got almost 450 on one tank on the way to georgia. but in the city here, it has trouble with 300
Old 07-14-2004, 09:49 AM

I get about 400 in the Tribute on the HWY. Around town is a WHOLE different matter though. Especially with my lead foot.

'01 Mazda Tribute 4WD
'95 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
Old 07-14-2004, 12:27 PM
Platinum Member

how big is the tank on the tribute
Old 07-14-2004, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by roofadoofalus@Jul 14 2004, 12:27 PM
how big is the tank on the tribute
16 gallons. Which is about 25 mpg highway. Granted the city mpg for me is much less than half that as I drive somewhat aggresively around town. But while on the highway cruising at 80 mph, rpm's are only around 1800 or so.

'01 Mazda Tribute 4WD
'95 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
Old 07-14-2004, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

only 12 miles per gallon in the city? that is terrible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement