Mazda Tribute 2001 Audio System - Mazda Forum

MazdaWorld.org is the premier Mazda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2005, 10:03 PM
Mazda Newbie

Arrow

Hi there,

I've just purchased a 2001 Mazda Tribute and I have a question with regards to the "Multi function audio system". It has button called MD/TAPE, but I'm not sure if it's there for show or if it actually does something. I've tried pushing the button, but nothing happens. Everything else in the stereo works fine.

Unfortuantely the car did not come with an owners manual as it was imported from Japan (to New Zealand). Can anyone help?

Cheers
Pagen
(Wellington, NZ)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2005, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member

does it have a tape deck, or just a cd player?
Old 03-12-2005, 09:48 PM
Mazda Newbie

Just a CD player/radio. Down the bottom between the volume and the tunning button there is quite a bit of space for a tape deck. It just seems odd that there isn't one especially if there is a button that says "MD/Tape" ...
Old 03-13-2005, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

i could be wrong, but i think the button might have something to do with finding the strongest radio signal in the area. it is usually used when traveling. my millenia had a button that did that, but i cant remember what the button said
Old 03-13-2005, 08:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to zmarko

My '01 has the tape deck in it, and the button only says TAPE. Remember the somewhat failed Mini Disc? Maybe there are RCA inputs on the back for one of those (dunno why they'd do that, as it seems random, but it's a possibility). I haven't ever taken the head unit out of mine, so I can't verify if there's RCA inputs on the back, but it would be cool if there was (I could hook my Sirius up through that instead of using the "tuner" method). Anyway, I might check on that for you in the next few days. Here's an image of my deck with the tape unit.

'01 Mazda Tribute 4WD
'95 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
Old 03-13-2005, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

Send a message via MSN to Duncan Send a message via Yahoo to Duncan

Quote:
Originally posted by roofadoofalus@Mar 12 2005, 10:05 PM
i could be wrong, but i think the button might have something to do with finding the strongest radio signal in the area.* it is usually used when traveling.* my millenia had a button that did that, but i cant remember what the button said
[snapback]255769[/snapback]
My 626 has that - it's marked "AUTO-M" and puts the five strongest local stations on a sort of speed-dial for when you're traveling, so you don't have to adjust your presets. (Actually, you can see it behind the wire in the pic of zmarko's head unit.)

And yes, "MD" most likely stands for MiniDisc. It's probably there in case someone orders an accessory MD player to fill the second DIN slot - just like the "TAPE" part would stand for an accessory tape player.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:35 AM
Mazda Newbie

Send a message via AIM to artfuldodger73 Send a message via MSN to artfuldodger73 Send a message via Yahoo to artfuldodger73

Quote:
Originally posted by pagen@Mar 12 2005, 12:03 AM
Hi there,

I've just purchased a 2001 Mazda Tribute and I have a question with regards to the "Multi function audio system".* It has button called MD/TAPE, but I'm not sure if it's there for show or if it actually does something. I've tried pushing the button, but nothing happens. Everything else in the stereo works fine.

Hey... I have a 2001 Tribute and can validate that the MD/Tape stands for MiniDisc/Cassette tape. One of the options for the vehicle was to have a Sony MiniDisc player installed into the headunit instead of a cassette player. You can see how much of a success that was! Why don't all manufacturers just make an auxillary in port standard on headunits? (sigh)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement