[Audio] Removing stock stereo for upgrade? - Mazda Forum

MazdaWorld.org is the premier Mazda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2005, 01:58 PM
Mazda Newbie

Hello,

Does anyone here happen to know the best way to remove the OEM Stereo from a 2005 Tribute? i-series MT.
I read your post here to remove the whole stereo, just wondering if you had performed this or not? Mine is the non-Bose model.
I am looking to upgrade to an aftermarket HU with a JVC KD-LH910, and would have to remove the Factory unit.
I saw that the 2004 models used the DIN U-shaped tool for removing the factory stereo, but not sure if this is the case for the 2005 Tributes.

I upgraded the clutch, gas, and brake pedals to green LED-illuminated streetwires chromed pedals and they look really cool compared the stock rubber ones. They were $40 at Autozone.

Thanks,

George
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2005, 02:37 PM
Mazda Newbie

In regards to your question about removing the factory stereo on the 05 tirubute - I've been all over the the place looking at pages of info. (That's how I found this Mazda Group site) We just recently traded for an 05 and an 04, and I was wanting to get my ipod back into this suv as it was in my truck (hooked up to the aux jack on the back of the unit - stereo controlled and charged battery -clean look, no wires, great sound) and also hook my wife's ipod up in her 05. We both have the 6cd changer factory stock units. After a day of researching which modulator I needed, I wanted to see for myself how hard the removal was and to check for certain the pin connection at the back of these units. I started on mine yesterday after reading several pages about din tools, ford escape removals and other mazda removals where the stereos matched the year and model. It takes two sets of din tools and luck. The first step is to remove the small side strip covers on the unit. I used one of those paint can openers they hand you at the paint store. The pry end is bent perfect for this. Then the four din tools are pushed in until they click the release tabs. The unit comes out. Sounds easy? I tried all afternoon on my 04 and finally had to resort to pulling the dash cover off to see the release clips. Once the dash is free you can see an opening on each side of the housing which allows for the non din inclined to insert a screw driver into each hole at the same time and press the release mechanism and pop the unit forward. The pin connection is there it is a 16 pin connector. I think my din tabs at one time or other had been compressed to far in and therefore were not working as easily as everything I had read. I pulled them more out before I closed it all back up. We'll see how it goes when the modulator and wiring harness get here and I have to do it all again. Needless to say, that after watching me pull the guts out of my dash, my wife was not eaxctly ready to have me tear into her stereo. I really have no doubt that it is the exact same setup. It all went back together very fast.

I have included the page addresses for the info I found. Hope it helps - Best of Luck.

http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereor...FordEscape.htm
http://www.carstereohelp.org/stereor...zda626StrR.htm

Peace, Ausmith

Quote:
Originally posted by GeorgioP@Sep 23 2005, 01:58 PM
Hello,

Does anyone here happen to know the best way to remove the OEM Stereo from a 2005 Tribute? i-series MT.
I read your post here to remove the whole stereo, just wondering if you had performed this or not? Mine is the non-Bose model.
I am looking to upgrade to an aftermarket HU with a JVC KD-LH910, and would have to remove the Factory unit.
I saw that the 2004 models used the DIN U-shaped tool for removing the factory stereo, but not sure if this is the case for the 2005 Tributes.

I upgraded the clutch, gas, and brake pedals to green LED-illuminated streetwires chromed pedals and they look really cool compared the stock rubber ones. They were $40 at Autozone.

Thanks,

George
[snapback]307185[/snapback]
[FONT=Geneva][FONT=Geneva]
Old 09-29-2005, 01:43 PM
Mazda Newbie

Has anyone removed the dash? Any explanations/photos would be great!
Old 11-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Mazda Newbie

Ok,
I had researched this as much as possible. I got my new receiver in. I had to buy the following : Scosche MA03B wiring harness (don't buy the 02!) and Schoche 2000+ install trim kit. Both were about $16 at local Install shop. I had an installer remove the OEM stereo with 4 DIN removal tools, it was not straight-forward, but took some fanagling, and two different wiring harnesses later, I was in business.
There was not a reason I could find to take apart the dash yet.
I am chaining the receiver to the metal bars (frame) just inside the opening, it will be near impossible to steal that way. There is a chassis screw in the back of most receivers that you can use with shop-light chain (get this at Lowes) and a cheap luggage-style lock that you can use to secure you head unit in.
If you pop out the glove box (easy, just open , and push in on the sides) you can lock it to the frame and no one will ever look there. Then you can just unlock it if you need to .

Old 11-04-2005, 06:26 PM
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to malice4you Send a message via Yahoo to malice4you

fyi by the time they're in the car they already broke a window and broke whatever they need to get to the parts as soon as possible. Plus, if you piss them off in your car, they'll probably leave parting gifts for you like slashed seats or tires... I'd say a detachable face is a better anti-theft measure.

What's really sad is after doing at least $150 in damage to your car besides stealing something that's sometimes not covered by insurance (not a stock part) they'll probably get less then $50 for it.

S[/b]
Old 11-23-2005, 01:52 PM
Mazda Newbie

Yeah, I agree , There is substantial damage after an stereo theft, But I have learned the following tips and tricks after going through this nightmare in the beginning of '05.
1 Chain the receiver to the frame and lock it using the screw in the back. Most thieves will only take what they can in three minutes, after that it may be damaged and usless, but your insurance company at least has physical proof that you owned the equipment.
2 Screw amps\crossover, Capacitor\block into the metal frame and cover the screw heads with hot glue gun glue. Most thieves would not take the time to chip that away.
3 Get an Alarm with lifetime warranty.
4 Remove the detachable face plate and take away with you- all the time. If they find it in the car, what was the point?
Use Common Sense, don't park in darkish high crime areas if at all possible. Even though mine got stolen in a high end apartment comples during a winter storm.

State Farm Insurance is bad just cause they only covered the base models of what I had : Ie : I had a high end Clarion CD receiver, and they would only replace with the base cheaped Clarion stock model. I switched to Allstate,after that. It's just best to make a list of what is installed and go through that with your Agent to make sure it is covered as well as re-installation costs.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:05 PM
Mazda Newbie

I have a 05 tribute-s with the 5 disc changer + 6 speakers w/ sub. Is there anyway I can still use the stock sub/amp with a new HU? I am really surprised that this radio doesnt have mp3 capabilities; otherwise i'd leave it in.

Not looking forward to have a single DIN HU in the double DIN space
Sponsored Links
Advertisement