[Audio] How to remove radio from 05 Tribute?? - Mazda Forum

MazdaWorld.org is the premier Mazda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2005, 12:35 PM
Mazda Newbie

Hi All/

I have a 05 Tribute with the factory Multi Function Audio System as shown below. I want to add my XM receiver to the system, so I need to pull the head unit to either put a FM modulator in the antenna line, or else (if I'm lucky) access the "SAT" input on the unit.

I have read other similar posts re pulling the unit, but I'm not sure I have the same head unit as has already been discussed. I don't see any DIN holes to make it easy to pull the unit out, so I'm assuming I will have to pull the dash trim???

Any guidance on this job will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2005, 02:56 PM
Mazda Newbie

Quote:
Hi All/

I have a 05 Tribute with the factory Multi Function Audio System as shown below. I want to add my XM receiver to the system, so I need to pull the head unit to either put a FM modulator in the antenna line, or else (if I'm lucky) access the "SAT" input on the unit.

I have read other similar posts re pulling the unit, but I'm not sure I have the same head unit as has already been discussed. I don't see any DIN holes to make it easy to pull the unit out, so I'm assuming I will have to pull the dash trim???

Any guidance on this job will be appreciated.

[/b]

Hello,

The DIN holes are under the two side covers of the unit. The long smooth sides that face the unit on each side come off to expose the double din holes. You have to pull the covers off by using a small screwdriver or paint canopener to pry the covers out and off. Best of luck once you get them off to get the unit out with just the din tools. As I posted a couple of other times - I still had to pull the dash to get the unit exposed and out. Hope this helps.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:12 PM
Mazda Newbie

Quote:
Hello,

The DIN holes are under the two side covers of the unit. The long smooth sides that face the unit on each side come off to expose the double din holes. You have to pull the covers off by using a small screwdriver or paint canopener to pry the covers out and off. Best of luck once you get them off to get the unit out with just the din tools. As I posted a couple of other times - I still had to pull the dash to get the unit exposed and out. Hope this helps.
[/b]
Thanks. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

When you pull the dash trim, can you just snap off the piece that surrounds the center console...or does everything including the instrument cluster trim have to come off?
Old 12-18-2005, 03:23 PM
Mazda Newbie

Quote:
Thanks. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

When you pull the dash trim, can you just snap off the piece that surrounds the center console...or does everything including the instrument cluster trim have to come off?
[/b]

Everything, it's all one peice. - Drop the steering wheel and shift lever into their lowest positions possible to give yourself the room you need.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:32 AM
Mazda Newbie

Quote:
Hello,

[/b]

For those of you that had to go as far as removing the dash to get the radio out, how do you then release the clips through the openings in the plastic on the side of the radio. It would appear that I have the worst of the lot when it comes to releasing the radio from its' moorings? Also if there are other techniques that anyone else has used,i.e.hooks etc.,I would love to hear about them. I have almost worn out the release tools I purchased trying to get this unit out.
Thanks to everyone in advance.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:00 PM
Mazda Newbie

Quote:
For those of you that had to go as far as removing the dash to get the radio out, how do you then release the clips through the openings in the plastic on the side of the radio. It would appear that I have the worst of the lot when it comes to releasing the radio from its' moorings? Also if there are other techniques that anyone else has used,i.e.hooks etc.,I would love to hear about them. I have almost worn out the release tools I purchased trying to get this unit out.
Thanks to everyone in advance.[/b]
I don't know why you are having such a problem pulling the head unit out using DIN tools? I performed this procedure yesterday with no problem whatsoever.

I wonder if the person who was having all the trouble realized that you need TWO sets of DIN tools to remove the unit? A set for the top two holes and a set for the bottom two holes.

It seriously took me two minutes to pull the unit out.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:09 AM
Mazda Newbie

Quote:
I don't know why you are having such a problem pulling the head unit out using DIN tools? I performed this procedure yesterday with no problem whatsoever.

I wonder if the person who was having all the trouble realized that you need TWO sets of DIN tools to remove the unit? A set for the top two holes and a set for the bottom two holes.

It seriously took me two minutes to pull the unit out.[/b]

I have 2 sets of the din tools... I put them in the 4 bottom holes... but I get no click... I get nothing... I push them in, pull them outwards but the radio does not budge! What the??!!

I had read that some others have had difficulty in removing because the release levers were pushed too far in or something??

If I had to take the dash apart... where do I even begin to do that? I do not want to, but I will...

Please Help??!!!!
Old 08-19-2007, 09:24 AM
Mazda Newbie

I spent weeks trying to get my radio out. Basically the DIN tools were not engaging the clips. I had to take the dash off and use a screw driver to release the clips.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Mazda Newbie

I couldn't get all the clips to release using 2 sets of din tools despite hours of effort, but i didn't have to remove the dash. i basically knew the old stereo was bad and had a new one to replace it, so I sacrified the old unit by damaging the old unit's clips until they no longer held it in. i can't remember what exactly I did but I recall i could see them and could see how they had to be forced to release. Be careful. i got it out by this crude method and the new one went in fine with no damage to console visible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement