Mazda Tribute ES 2001 Starting Problems - Mazda Forum

MazdaWorld.org is the premier Mazda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Mazda Newbie

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the following problem. Six weeks ago, I had the battery and alternator replaced (rebuild alternator) in my 2001 Tribute ES-V6 and ever since then I've had problems starting the car. From a cold start (either sitting outside for a few hours or overnight) the engine begins to turn over, but there is a pressure drop and the engine stalls and/or does not start. When I try to start it again immediately afterwards, it starts without any problems. I've taken it to the dealer and they checked and replaced the fuel pump, but it hasn't solved the problem. The mechanic told me that they couldn't reproduce the problem, but rechecked the fuel pump, fuel filtersm, and hoses to ensure everything was okay. So they are not sure what is causing the problem. The strange thing is that I can easily reproduce it and I haven't had a clean start for 6 weeks. I can get it to start the first time by giving it a bit of gas after I start it, but if I don't it usually will not start. Aside from the battery, alternator, and fuel pump, anything else I should ask the dealer to look into? I'm not a car guy, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Mazda Newbie

Send a message via MSN to dlambe@hotmail.com

What we need to start a vehicle properly are;
1) Fuel pressure/flow
2) Spark
3) Air
4) Timing

Now with that said you mentioned a pressure drop. I am not following what you meant by that entirely. If I were you I would check the air filter first and foremost. Also make sure that all the clamps along the intake tube are tight and secure. Next I would like to know when the spark plugs were replaced if ever and what the current mileage is on it. Also when you turn the vehicle over does it sound like its struggling at all or just turning over normally. There is a very limited amount of voltage drop allowed between the battery and starter and frequently poor starting or trouble starting is caused by corrosion on these terminals either at the battery or at the starter itself. (commonly seen as green stuff on the posts). That green stuff is an insulator and does not conduct electricity. Check that and get back to me and we can go from there.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Mazda Newbie

Default cold starting problems Tribute V6 2002

Hi did you ever find a solution to this ?

I have a 2002 tribute 3.0 V6 that has starting problems in cold weather, it turns over fine but wont start, then if I try again it fires up ok and runs perfectly.

I though it may be the air idle control valve but removed and cleaned this and it seems ok. Also have a new battery.
The spark plugs were replaced quite recently too.
I am thinking of changing the coil packs but have been told that it is difficult to do the rear 3.

I have been to the local Mazda dealer 3 times but the computer says everything is ok, so they dont have a clue

does anyone have any more suggestions on what could be the cause ?

Thx
Old 11-25-2010, 11:43 AM
Mazda Newbie

Better to start a new thread rather than old posts.

Anyway, it's most likely the coil packs. They start causing problems before the OBD system can pick up defects.

And the rear 3 are not all that had to replace. Just need to pull up the upper intake. A good time to replace the upper intake gaskets too as they harden and leak overtime contributing to the issue you are having. Use a torque wrench to re-seat the intake bolts.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited by mreh; 11-25-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:13 PM
Mazda Newbie

If the engine doesn't crank then jump start your car and allow it to run for several minutes till the engine gets charged. Then remove the jumper cables after turning of the Tribute. Try starting the Tribute again. If it does not start now, the battery is likely unable to hold a charge and needs replacing. If the vehicle still won't start, even trying a jump start, the problem may lie with the starter or the ignition switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement