New b2600i owner - Mazda Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
New b2600i owner

Hey everyone! I am new 1992 b2600i 2wd, manual transmission owner. It has 126k miles on it. I purchased it from an older gentleman who used it to go get coffee everyday. I have some concerns about it that I would like an opinion on before diving into any fixes.

Here is a list of concerns. If you could so generously spare a couple minutes to address a couple of them, that would be much appreciated and save me some time. Thank you.

1.) Ticking noise upon start up. Usually lasts for a minute, then goes away.
2.) Exhaust smoke coming out from in between bed and cab. (assuming this is an exhaust leak that I can patch).
3.) Upon start up, it will rev to 2000 rpm for about 30 seconds. I have seen multiple threads on engine revving, but what exactly is this caused by?
4.) When depressing accelerator at low speeds (5-25 mph), there is a slight ticking noise until I hit a certain point, then it subsides and eventually goes away.
5.) When accelerating up a hill or hard acceleration, there is a noise coming from the manual transmission gear shift area.

I am not very mechanically savvy as far as know what's wrong, but can usually fix something if I know what's causing the issue.

Thank you again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 11:56 PM
MazdaWorld Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to smuryof Send a message via MSN to smuryof Send a message via Yahoo to smuryof
1.) Ticking noise upon start up. Usually lasts for a minute, then goes away.
Exhaust manifold gasket, most likely. Mine did this for the entire time I owned it, I never bothered repairing it. Maybe start it with the hood up and see if the sound is coming from the driver's side of the engine, that's your exh. manifold.

2.) Exhaust smoke coming out from in between bed and cab. (assuming this is an exhaust leak that I can patch).
I'm sure it is (an exhaust leak.) There's a flange between the downpipe and the catalytic converter pipe which is prone to become cupped & failing to seal, even if you replace the gasket. But that's just a guess - it could be anywhere in the system. You can start it and immediately scoot under there and run your hand along the pipe (without touching it, of course) and see if you can feel where it's leaking. Should be obvious once you find it.

3.) Upon start up, it will rev to 2000 rpm for about 30 seconds. I have seen multiple threads on engine revving, but what exactly is this caused by?
Faulty throttle position sensor, or maybe a grounded wire to the sensor. Try unplugging it and see if it is consistent or changes. It's the green (and white, maybe?) wire that runs along the passenger side of the top of the engine (valve cover) to the throttle body.

4.) When depressing accelerator at low speeds (5-25 mph), there is a slight ticking noise until I hit a certain point, then it
subsides and eventually goes away.
Could be valvetrain noise, you don't have a lot of miles on the truck but it could be worn enough to have a little trouble getting oil all the way up to the cam. Try using full synthetic oil at your next oil change, if you don't already use it. Full synthetic works into the pores of metal (yes, metal is porous at a molecular level) - sometimes that's enough to create a sheen of oil that can overcome weak oil delivery up in the top of the engine.

5.) When accelerating up a hill or hard acceleration, there is a noise coming from the manual transmission gear shift area.
Eek, this one eludes me - what kind of noise? You might want to remove the shifter boot so you can hear it better. When was the transmission gear oil last changed? If you don't know, maybe change that & use something quality - again full synthetic is good. You could put some Royal Purple in there and never worry about it again.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 11:57 PM
MazdaWorld Member

Send a message via AIM to smuryof Send a message via MSN to smuryof Send a message via Yahoo to smuryof
By the way - if you ever decide to sell it, let me know, I would buy it in a heartbeat! I unfortunately rolled my 1991 B2600i this past January. Was the best vehicle I'd ever owned, at 270,000 miles and plenty of life left.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Hey Smuryof,

Just looked at everything you suggested and here is what I came up with:

1.) Ticking is from exhaust manifold. Drove it to my Aunt's birthday the other day and it was not even noticeable anymore. Not sure why, but it sounds perfect now.
2.) Found the exhaust leak. Exactly where you said. Patched it up and it's as good as new.
3.) It was the wire, it's fixed!
4.) Will use synthetic next time. Oil change due in about 800 miles!
5.) Shifter boot was removed and it stayed the same. I am thinking the tranny fluid should be swapped with RP like you said. If I drive it slowly, it doesn't even make the noise.

About your inquiry of me selling. I am actually selling due to a huge bill that just came up medically. Let me know if you want some pictures. It honestly is in near perfect condition for a '92.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:59 PM
MazdaWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackPearl View Post
Hey Smuryof,

Just looked at everything you suggested and here is what I came up with:

1.) Ticking is from exhaust manifold. Drove it to my Aunt's birthday the other day and it was not even noticeable anymore. Not sure why, but it sounds perfect now.
2.) Found the exhaust leak. Exactly where you said. Patched it up and it's as good as new.
3.) It was the wire, it's fixed!
4.) Will use synthetic next time. Oil change due in about 800 miles!
5.) Shifter boot was removed and it stayed the same. I am thinking the tranny fluid should be swapped with RP like you said. If I drive it slowly, it doesn't even make the noise.

About your inquiry of me selling. I am actually selling due to a huge bill that just came up medically. Let me know if you want some pictures. It honestly is in near perfect condition for a '92.
Yea I would be interested... let's connect over PM, I'll give you my phone #, thanks!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Just messaged you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page