New to the Forum ... and in need of help! - Mazda Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Exclamation New to the Forum ... and in need of help!

Hello!! I'm hoping that someone here can help me.

I bought my 1984 Mazda B2000, SE-5 brand new off the showroom floor in 1983. I purchased in in Pennsylvania (where I grew up) and then drove it to Phoenix where I lived until 1991. Then I moved to Los Angeles where I currently live. My truck was my daily driver until 2008, and has been an amazingly close friend ; )

I don't daily it anymore but drive it every week. With almost 300,000 miles on it, it super-reliable and in pretty darn good condition. But ... it just failed emissions due to a leaking Vapor Canister. I have a week to get it repaired, re-smogged and registered. Yikes!!!

My dilemma... where do I find another vapor canister!! Part #831713970 . I'm told it's not possible to repair mine, and I can't seem to locate another one anywhere. I can't complain that it only lasted 33 years, but... what do I do now?

Is there another canister that I can use as a replacement? I'm not a mechanic, but this thing looks pretty simplistic on the outside. ... 3 hoses and 1 screw to remove it.

I'm open to any suggestions and appreciate any feedback.

By any chance would someone mind loaning me theirs for a couple days? ; )

- mark

84 Mazda B2000 SE-5 Pickup – White, 298,000 miles
07 Lotus Elise – Krypton Green – (Daily Driver)
02 Mazda Miata MX-5 SE – Blazing Yellow Mica – Hard Top, Boss Frog Clearview Roll bar
05 Mazda3 – Laser Blue, 2.3L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:57 AM
Mazda Newbie

Are you sure the canister is bad? Its more likely the lines to and from it are cracked from age.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Yes, the canister is cracked on the bottom and it is clearly visible. But someone on another Mazda Forum suggested that I try to get a waiver for a hard to find part. I spoke with several people at the California Bureau of Auto Repair about their Parts Locator service and DMV Referee service. In those discussions I found out that the leak in the canister wouldn't cause the emissions failure. I had it tested at a Referee Station and it passed. I was told to take it back to the Smog station that failed it, and have them retest it. I did ... and it passed!!! ???? ... go figure. ... but at this point I'm happy with the results and am not bothering with the cracked canister. And as an additional note, both my mechanic and the Cal BAR Referee pressure tested the system between the canister and the fuel cap and it was fine. And apparently, per the Cal BAR person that I talked to on the phone, the Canister is not part of the pressure test.

Thanks for your response.
- mark

02 Mazda Miata MX-5 SE – Blazing Yellow Mica – Hard Top, Boss Frog Clearview Roll bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 09:22 AM
Mazda Newbie

Glad it worked it. You could probably patch the old one with some two part epoxy. Not JB Weld it wont like the gas fumes.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Thanks for the idea. I'll look into doing this sometime, but I'll mention that when I was talking about this problem with the Cal BAR guy on the phone (who really impressed me with his mechanical knowledge) he said "I know the problem isn't the canister. It doesn't matter that the canister is leaking. It's an 'open system', at the canister, that has to 'breathe' so the cracks wouldn't even matter, or be a problem."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page