Bad Oil Leak - Mazda Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've got a pretty bad oil leak near the front of the engine on my '87 B2000. This motor has 221,000 mile on it. I have cleaned the engine and know the approximate area of the leak(s). It isn't comming from as high up as the valve cover. Its coming from somewhere mid way up in the front. The oil pan probabaly needs new gaskets and I'm guessing that the crank seal needs to be replaced. I there any other seals in the front of the engine that would need to be replaced on this beast that would cause it to leak?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 02:29 AM
Gold Member

Your crank seals are still probably ok, but the valve cover gasket sound to be shot. If the oil pan has never been dropped, the gaskets are probably fine, unless they are obviously leaking. If I where you, I'd leave the crank seal for now, unless you know for a fact that it is leaking, and just replace the oil pan, and valve cover gaskets.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyranitar@Mar 31 2005, 03:29 AM
Your crank seals are still probably ok, but the valve cover gasket sound to be shot.* If the oil pan has never been dropped, the gaskets are probably fine, unless they are obviously leaking.* If I where you, I'd leave the crank seal for now, unless you know for a fact that it is leaking, and just replace the oil pan, and valve cover gaskets.
[snapback]260921[/snapback]
Thank you.. I understand that there is a camshaft seal up front that goes bad and causes leaks in the area that I described. Do you have any experiance with replacing that seal or can you comment on how frequently it fails or needs to be replaced?
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 07:41 PM
Gold Member

WEll, on units with the timing chain, there is a rubber plug located there. This rubber plug can leak. When I replaced my valve cover gasket, it came with a new plug. The is a plug on both ends of the engine block. THe brand of gasket kit i bought was a Felpro, but I'm sure most kits come with new plugs. When you buy your kit, purchase a tube of RTV silicon, preferably the black kind, since it looks nicer. Put silicon on the edges of the plugs, around the corners, such that is oozes out around the joints a little. DO NOT put the silicone around the gasket. Put some of it right where the edges of the plug will meet up with the cover. This way, when it gets tightened down, it will seal any imperfections that might occur there. Wait at least 12 hours before driving the vehicle if you can. You do not need any silicone on the oil pan gasket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page