Bad Oil Leak - Mazda Forum

MazdaWorld.org is the premier Mazda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2005, 11:20 AM
Mazda Newbie

I've got a pretty bad oil leak near the front of the engine on my '87 B2000. This motor has 221,000 mile on it. I have cleaned the engine and know the approximate area of the leak(s). It isn't comming from as high up as the valve cover. Its coming from somewhere mid way up in the front. The oil pan probabaly needs new gaskets and I'm guessing that the crank seal needs to be replaced. I there any other seals in the front of the engine that would need to be replaced on this beast that would cause it to leak?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2005, 01:29 AM
Gold Member

Your crank seals are still probably ok, but the valve cover gasket sound to be shot. If the oil pan has never been dropped, the gaskets are probably fine, unless they are obviously leaking. If I where you, I'd leave the crank seal for now, unless you know for a fact that it is leaking, and just replace the oil pan, and valve cover gaskets.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:59 PM
Mazda Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyranitar@Mar 31 2005, 03:29 AM
Your crank seals are still probably ok, but the valve cover gasket sound to be shot.* If the oil pan has never been dropped, the gaskets are probably fine, unless they are obviously leaking.* If I where you, I'd leave the crank seal for now, unless you know for a fact that it is leaking, and just replace the oil pan, and valve cover gaskets.
[snapback]260921[/snapback]
Thank you.. I understand that there is a camshaft seal up front that goes bad and causes leaks in the area that I described. Do you have any experiance with replacing that seal or can you comment on how frequently it fails or needs to be replaced?
Old 03-31-2005, 06:41 PM
Gold Member

WEll, on units with the timing chain, there is a rubber plug located there. This rubber plug can leak. When I replaced my valve cover gasket, it came with a new plug. The is a plug on both ends of the engine block. THe brand of gasket kit i bought was a Felpro, but I'm sure most kits come with new plugs. When you buy your kit, purchase a tube of RTV silicon, preferably the black kind, since it looks nicer. Put silicon on the edges of the plugs, around the corners, such that is oozes out around the joints a little. DO NOT put the silicone around the gasket. Put some of it right where the edges of the plug will meet up with the cover. This way, when it gets tightened down, it will seal any imperfections that might occur there. Wait at least 12 hours before driving the vehicle if you can. You do not need any silicone on the oil pan gasket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement