Check Engine Light/ECU Codes - Mazda Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 1991 Mazda B2600i with 185,000. I've looked all over the B-Series forum and if it's here, I apologize that I did not see it . . .

I've seen the posts about codes but, what I need to know is how do you check the ECU without a scanner, if this is possible?

I went to avproecm.com and saw their page on the Mazda engine error codes and their description of how to retrieve them, however, the "single wire that will have a single green connector" does not seem to be located where they say it should be. I'm wondering if it could be located somewhere else, as an anomaly of some sort.

Also, MANY miles back the check engine light came on and stayed for quite sometime. Quite frankly I was broke and was in no postion to see about it. After an extended period, the light went out. The truck has passed emissions tests with flying colors before and since that were required in certain areas of TX where I used to live. Where I live in TX now, none are required. In fact the mechanic doing the check was surprised at how low the emissions were given the age of the truck. The check engine light is not on now. After reading the board, I suspect that this was part of the routine maintenance signal. I have not changed the black and white wire connections under the dash either, not knowing at this point whether or not I need to. Any other ideas? . . . . Of course if it ain't broke, I don't want to fix it. The light does come on with all of the other panel lights when I turn the key to the "on" position and goes out when started. I just want to make sure it ain't broke. Ii is my hope that if the light is not on then all is well . . .

I had two leaky fuel injectors that essentially had my truck as an unlit rolling fire bomb. I wound up replacing all of them. I have recently performed a tune up consisting of plugs, wires, rotor, air filter, and pcv valve. I am about to have the timing checked and replace the oxygen sensor because I know it's been better than 80K miles. Hopefully my mileage will improve.

I would like to check the ECU just to make sure I know how and make sure there are not any unknown code issues. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

I apologize for the length . . . I figured if I didn't state it, you wouldn't know.
THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Ol' Kev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 08:50 PM

Here is a link for you:

B2200/B2600i Code Retrieval

The diagnostics on the B2600 before 93 where extremly basic. Many of them will clear after a certain number of driving cycles has passed without the code being tripped again.

The connector is a single green connector located on the passanger side of the engine compartment next to the fuel filter on the firewall.

If you have done that much maintenance since the codes have probably been cleared either due to driving it or from disconnecting the battery to do the maintenance. The link above tells how to clear the codes, after doing any repair or maintenance it is recommended to clear the codes so that the engine doesn't continue to stay in limp home mode. If this is not done it is possable that you fix the problem but the computer doesn't know it and continues to run like crap because it ignores the new components.

Hope this helps.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Mazda Newbie

Quote:
Here is a link for you:

B2200/B2600i Code Retrieval

The diagnostics on the B2600 before 93 where extremly basic. Many of them will clear after a certain number of driving cycles has passed without the code being tripped again.

The connector is a single green connector located on the passanger side of the engine compartment next to the fuel filter on the firewall.

If you have done that much maintenance since the codes have probably been cleared either due to driving it or from disconnecting the battery to do the maintenance. The link above tells how to clear the codes, after doing any repair or maintenance it is recommended to clear the codes so that the engine doesn't continue to stay in limp home mode. If this is not done it is possable that you fix the problem but the computer doesn't know it and continues to run like crap because it ignores the new components.

Hope this helps.[/b]
Sorry to dig up such an old thread but having some issues and finally checked my codes...

I purchased a 91 B2600i 4x4 a couple months ago with a blown head gasket. Put in a new head, spark plugs, wires, cap/rotor, air cleaner and installed a cat since the previous owner had chopped it out. Went to get it smoged and the CO levels were high (7% and they are supposed to be below 1%), so it failed. I am also getting horrible gas mileage (14mpg) and the check engine light randomly comes on. I am wondering if they are all related. When I checked the codes it gives 1 long, then 7 quick blinks. Which according to http://www.avproecm.com/errorcodes.htm is error code 17, Internal ecm feedback system. What does that mean? Could that be the cause of my car running to rich and not passing smog? To fix that does it mean getting a new ECM? Any help would be appreciated.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Gold Member

You have a faulty ecm. You don't need a new one, but you do need to get yours rebuilt. However, to confirm this, do the visual inspect of the board per AVPro's instructions on the subject. go to www.avproecm.com and click the Mazda Trucks link.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Mazda Newbie

Quote:
You have a faulty ecm. You don't need a new one, but you do need to get yours rebuilt. However, to confirm this, do the visual inspect of the board per AVPro's instructions on the subject. go to www.avproecm.com and click the Mazda Trucks link.[/b]

And that would cause the horrid gas mileage and not passing smog?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 08:50 PM
Gold Member

If the ECU is in fact bad, absolutely. My B2600i used to get as high as 26 mpg and easily passes smog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page