[Tech] B2200 valve clearances? - Mazda Forum

MazdaWorld.org is the premier Mazda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2006, 02:29 PM
Mazda Newbie

So I finally finished getting my truck running. It gets a smog check later this week, and then I can get it registered. The engine is new, so I'm supposed to check the valve clearances after 500 miles. Problem is, the service manual says that they are hydrolic and require no adjustment! WTF! Can someone tell me what the clearances are supposed to be? It's an 88 B2200. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2006, 11:54 AM

86-93 B2200s stock have hydraulic lash adjustors, these are kind of like a shock absorber and should be in constant contact with the valve stem, the hydraulics automatically compensate when being compressed by thermal expansion of the parts so no adjustment is needed nore possable.

Some older B2000s had a mechanical rocker arm setup, these do need lash. They can be identified by having a threaded rod going through the rocker arm which is in contact with the valve stem. There is a slot in the top for a flat head screw driver and a 12mm nut for adjustment. Stock specification is .008" lash between the lash adjustor and valve stem tip. I highly recommend between .006-.007" on the intakes and .007-.008 on the exhaust. It's better to be a little tighter then a little loose.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:38 PM
Mazda Newbie

Thanks. Mine has the mechanical setup. I bought the engine as a rebuilt long block assembly from a used/rebuilt motor shop, advertized as a 2.2L. Did I get screwed and end up with a 2.0? How can I tell which one it is?
Old 05-09-2006, 08:58 PM

Cast into the block on the driver side underneath the exhaust manifold it will say 2+2 for a 2.2L and 2+0 for a 2.0L, the heads between the two are interchangable if not exactly the same (I've never been able to find any differences in the head itself). If the head came off a 2.0 it will probably have an FE-xxx casting on the passenger side of it. If the head came off a 2.2 it will be F-xxx. The higher the number on the xxx part the newer the head is and the better the casting. Also if you remove the upper timing cover right above the cam sprocket I think it should say 2.0 or 2.2 although this pieces should also be interchangable (although slightly different between the two)

The number in the casting under the exhaust manifold is the best way to tell.