89 b2200 valve cover gasket and inconsistent idle - Page 2 - Mazda Forum

MazdaWorld.org is the premier Mazda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2006, 12:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to smuryof Send a message via MSN to smuryof Send a message via Yahoo to smuryof

Quote:
Thanks for the response. I did replace the PCV valve early on and the tube to the intake manifold. Recently, when the valve cover was off I traced the hose and attempted to clean out the fitting at the base of the carb. Is the remainder of the system in the throttle body? Any other areas to clean that you know of? My air filter is oiling up quickly requiring frequent replacement but it always seems to have done that- possibly a bit worse recently. The little pre-filter on the aircleaner body oils up quite quickly. Any other areas which effect the crankcase ventilation system that I might check out?
[/b]
Hmmmm. I didn't know about the excessive oil buildup on the filters. How many miles are on this engine? Do you have to add oil regularly? When you had the valve cover off, did you see alot of black buildup inside the valve cover? If so, was it around one particular valve or area of the cover? It sounds like you've got some pretty bad blow-by, bad rings, or maybe one of your lifters isn't sealing well enough, sticking, or something. In any case, it may be time to consider an engine rebuild or picking up a good engine (under 170,000 miles), if you can find one, at local salvage yards. It sounds like internal engine components are resulting in increased pressure which may be contributing to your valve cover gasket leaking like that.

On the other hand, before tearing out / tearing into the engine, the easy thing to do is just try to get those semicircles to stop complaining for now (as you were doing originally) but if the crankcase pressure is high, you're going to be plagued by leaks here and there until you overhaul that engine. The whole point being, the pressure is more than what the engineers expected that engine to take on, so all the seals aren't going to be made to handle the pressure - oversealing one area just sends the pressure to another area. With all that oil buildup, your PCV system is almost surely suffering at some point.

If it were me, keep in mind my standards are low as far as cosmetics go, I'd throw an old cardboard box on the driveway under the front end of the Mazda to soak up any oil drops, and just let it cry a little oil, as long as it wasn't so much that it affected other components. For instance, if it gets on the belts and whatnot, it'll spray all over the engine, foul out the alternator, etc., but I drove my previous Mazda for years with a tiny oil drizzle onto the exhaust manifold that didn't affect anything else. Personally, I find oil consumption of up to 3 or 4 quarts between oil changes (@5,000 miles) acceptable. But that's me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2006, 10:08 PM
Mazda Newbie

Hmmm is right, I appreciate the frankness. When I pull out the PCV valve with engine idling there is good pressure coming out of the valve cover and plenty of suction out of the pcv valve from the carb. The manual says that plugging the pcv valve should effect the idle - but it doesn't in my case. A little bit of black buildup on the front end of the cover but not much.

I bought the truck for a fixer-upper-house work truck and after putting in rear booster springs it has handled any load or task I have thrown at it. I little oil doesn't bother me and it has two to three to four quarts over 5,000 miles since I bought it with 100,000 with a new/used engine with 50,000 miles. Early on I had the valve guide smoke problem upon start discussed often in this forum but have not seen it in the last year. I have never seen oil out the tailpipe while driving. I have not had much oil on the ground until the last 6 months.

Good advice - I will try to redu the valve cover gasket again and live with the results - after all it is just a work truck. Do you think pulling the head and redoing that could solve the majority of the problem(s) or does it go deeper than that?

Quote:
Hmmmm. I didn't know about the excessive oil buildup on the filters. How many miles are on this engine? Do you have to add oil regularly? When you had the valve cover off, did you see alot of black buildup inside the valve cover? If so, was it around one particular valve or area of the cover? It sounds like you've got some pretty bad blow-by, bad rings, or maybe one of your lifters isn't sealing well enough, sticking, or something. In any case, it may be time to consider an engine rebuild or picking up a good engine (under 170,000 miles), if you can find one, at local salvage yards. It sounds like internal engine components are resulting in increased pressure which may be contributing to your valve cover gasket leaking like that.

On the other hand, before tearing out / tearing into the engine, the easy thing to do is just try to get those semicircles to stop complaining for now (as you were doing originally) but if the crankcase pressure is high, you're going to be plagued by leaks here and there until you overhaul that engine. The whole point being, the pressure is more than what the engineers expected that engine to take on, so all the seals aren't going to be made to handle the pressure - oversealing one area just sends the pressure to another area. With all that oil buildup, your PCV system is almost surely suffering at some point.

If it were me, keep in mind my standards are low as far as cosmetics go, I'd throw an old cardboard box on the driveway under the front end of the Mazda to soak up any oil drops, and just let it cry a little oil, as long as it wasn't so much that it affected other components. For instance, if it gets on the belts and whatnot, it'll spray all over the engine, foul out the alternator, etc., but I drove my previous Mazda for years with a tiny oil drizzle onto the exhaust manifold that didn't affect anything else. Personally, I find oil consumption of up to 3 or 4 quarts between oil changes (@5,000 miles) acceptable. But that's me.
[/b]
Old 05-15-2006, 11:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to smuryof Send a message via MSN to smuryof Send a message via Yahoo to smuryof

Quote:
Hmmm is right, I appreciate the frankness. When I pull out the PCV valve with engine idling there is good pressure coming out of the valve cover and plenty of suction out of the pcv valve from the carb. The manual says that plugging the pcv valve should effect the idle - but it doesn't in my case. A little bit of black buildup on the front end of the cover but not much.

I bought the truck for a fixer-upper-house work truck and after putting in rear booster springs it has handled any load or task I have thrown at it. I little oil doesn't bother me and it has two to three to four quarts over 5,000 miles since I bought it with 100,000 with a new/used engine with 50,000 miles. Early on I had the valve guide smoke problem upon start discussed often in this forum but have not seen it in the last year. I have never seen oil out the tailpipe while driving. I have not had much oil on the ground until the last 6 months.

Good advice - I will try to redu the valve cover gasket again and live with the results - after all it is just a work truck. Do you think pulling the head and redoing that could solve the majority of the problem(s) or does it go deeper than that?
[/b]
Well, given that your PCV system really sucks (air, I mean!) it sounds like it should be doing ok. So then maybe it is just as simple as needing a better seal on the cover gasket. I wouldn't redo the head at this time, especially if you need the truck for other things. I would save the head-work for when you don't need the truck and have spare time to monkey with it. Personally I always assume the worst when I'm doing something I've never done before, or at least that it'll take me awhile to get it right.

If you've always been going thru 3 quarts btw oil changes, even when not leaking, then it is being consumed in the combustion chamber. So it could be rings, so I'd say the head work isn't a guarantee to fix everything.

All in all, I'd keep driving it as it is, of course keeping an eye on oil level, until either A) the leaks get so bad they spray over the engine, or you have tons of time on your hands and no other funner projects to do.

Me, I am spending too much time in forums because my truck doesn't run (because of a bad ECU) and therefore I cannot golf. *grin*

Sponsored Links
Advertisement