B3000 Engine Missing & rough idle - Mazda Forum

MazdaWorld.org is the premier Mazda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2007, 12:01 AM
Mazda Newbie

Hi All:
I am hoping that maybe someone out here can help/point me in the right direction. I have a 2001 B3000 V6 standard transmission. It has low miles, less than 10K. I don't drive it often, but when I do it is for long distances (freeway primarily), and some light towing. The problem I have with it is this. Ever since I bought the truck, I can feel that the truck is missing and losses power momentarily on a couple of cylinders as I am going down the road. The truck has a hard time going up hills at freeway speeds. The truck idles really rough, going from about 900rpm, dropping to under 500 RPM then bouces back up, and then back down again. When I have a load in the bed, I can really feel the loss of power.

I have taken it back to the dealer (actually several) and the first time they changed the coil unit. but since then, they "can't find anything wrong". There is no check engine light that comes on, so they say there is nothing wrong. I have gone on test drives with them, they claim they can't feel anythhing.

I have tried to figure what is going on. While at idle I put a timing light on each plug wire to see using the light, if each plug is firing consistently. I found that 2 of the 6 cylinders stop firing for up to 3/4 to 1 full sec whether at idle or reving the engine to about 3000RPM. the other 4 cylinders are strong and consistent firing regardless of the rpms. The ones that drop out consistently drop out, i.e regardless of the rpm range. when they do drop out, the truck's idle slows way down, the engine shudders, etc....it is ugly. But again I never get a check engine light.

So does anyone have any suggestions. I really like this truck except for this problem which drives me nuts! I am trying to figure out how best to fix it, if in fact it can be fixed. I am trying to figure out if this is "normal", if I have an ECU problem, or ????

Any help would be REALLY appreciated!
Thanks!
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2007, 10:56 PM
Mazda Newbie

try this the 2 dud spark plug wire swap them with one of the good ones and see if it kills one of the good cylinders then you would now for sure if its a bad wire
also check the plugs from those dud cylinders might be 2 bad plugs/or injecters
Old 03-15-2007, 01:23 PM
Mazda Newbie

Quote:
try this the 2 dud spark plug wire swap them with one of the good ones and see if it kills one of the good cylinders then you would now for sure if its a bad wire
also check the plugs from those dud cylinders might be 2 bad plugs/or injecters[/b]

Hey there...
Thanks for the suggestions. Will try and let you know what happens. Never considered that the injectors might be bad....I figured the ECM/ECU would register that and turn on the engine light. But worth a try.

Thanks again!
Paul
Old 03-17-2007, 08:05 PM
Mazda Newbie

Couple things to look at:

Check the pick-up module in the distributor

Look at the rotor cap and see if there is any cracks

**Its possible you are getting splatter sparking in the distributer.

Hope this has helped. It's very annoying when the dealer can't figure out what the problem is, considering they are suppose to be the experts!
Old 03-17-2007, 11:31 PM
Mazda Newbie

Quote:
Couple things to look at:

Check the pick-up module in the distributor

Look at the rotor cap and see if there is any cracks
**Its possible you are getting splatter sparking in the distributer.

Hope this has helped. It's very annoying when the dealer can't figure out what the problem is, considering they are suppose to be the experts![/b]

i think a 2001 will be d.i.s distributorless/direct ignition system
so there is no distributor
Old 03-20-2007, 11:12 AM
Gold Member

One thing I know about Ford EDIS systems, is that the spark plugs must be double platinums. In my experience, anything other than Autolite or Motorcraft Double Platinums will not last very long. Denso Iridium wires also work, but they cost a lot more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement