Radiator ran dry due to faulty service - Mazda Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Radiator ran dry due to faulty service

Based on the recommendation of my dealership's service department I replaced my 2000 Miata radiator due to a small crack in the neck of the radiator. (Quick history - my car was purchased new, cared for like a baby and has only been driven 64,000 miles in 16 years). I picked up the car yesterday and drove it home which is about 25 minutes away. As I approached my home I noticed the engine sounded "louder" than normal. I'm not a mechanic but it sounded like valves "ticking". As soon as I pulled in the driveway and slowed the car to a stop the engine began "shuddering". I quickly turned off the ignition. After 5 minutes or so I tried to start the car and the engine would fire for second or two then die.

I opened the hood and noticed that the coolant reservoir was empty. Then I carefully removed the radiator cap and saw no visiible coolant in the radiator nor was there any built up pressure from removing the cap. I checked the ground below the radiator and there was no coolant present. I called the dealership reported these problems and asked them to send a wrecker to pick up the car because it appeared their service tech had not refilled my radiator with coolant. The dealership later reported that a radiator hose clamp had failed causing my car to lose coolant. They replaced the clamp and returned my car.

My question and concern is what damage or potential damage has been caused by this poor service work by my dealership. Of course, they said there was no harm to my car but I'm suspicious. Since the car was driven 25 minutes constantly losing coolant to the point it was empty resulting in overheating and running "rough" I'm concerned that my car may have suffered further damage or may soon have future problems due to this overheating which the dealership, I'm sure, would not have admitted to me.

Any insights or suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page