Mazda 3 airbag sensor issue - Info from dealer - Page 12 - Mazda Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 118 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 09:36 AM
Mazda Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am from the US and we bought our car in March. The airbag light started to come on less than a week after we got the car. Usually it was the passenger airbag light that would flicker--with my dad (180lbm) sitting in the seat.

I tried shutting the car off thinking it would reset the glitch but it didn't. After about 80 miles of flickering it went off. The main airbag light on the dash would also come on intermittently.

Next, I took the car to my dealer, Heritage Buick/Mazda in Peoria IL, and they said they replaced the sensor. It seemed to work fine for a week or so but then the same problem started over again.

I took the car back to Heritage Mazda again and was told the they couldn't do anything about it because no fault code had been saved in the computer. Furthermore they told me that they never replaced it the first time! Thus someone had apparently lied to me about that. I discussed this issue with their service people for quite some time and they kept telling me I was free to bring it in when the light was on and they would check the fault code. They said that until the fault code is stored that they can't do anything about it. They also said they were sorry I was having the problem and that Mazda hasn't heard anything at all about this problem.

Bottom line is that they aren't willing to stand behind their product after only 4 months and the service department at Heritage Mazda apparently cannot troubleshoot an intermittent problem unless they have a fault code.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 118 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 02:14 AM
Mazda Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by probegt21@Jun 14 2004, 11:53 PM
FYI, anyone in the US with this problem. The dealer has 1 chance to fix it or it is considered a lemon.

Anything to do with safety is given once chance to fix. Mazda hands out the lemon law books with the car manuals. It is in there.
Huh? This doesn't make sense to me.
post #113 of 118 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 04:46 PM
Mazda Newbie

Send a message via AIM to femgearhead
I believe for a car to be considered a lemon by a dealer, the problem has to occur several times without a repair as resolution. Not a one time only thing.

Currently own a Mazda (sort of), and just bought a new one!
post #114 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 06:59 AM
Mazda Newbie

Anybody that wanted to know where the Front Crash Sensor is, look at the picture.

post #115 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 11:26 AM
Mazda Newbie

Maybe this is just too simple of a solution for this whole thing but I know that it will clear up probably half of the peoples concerns with the airbag thing. After about a week of owning my 3 I had the airbag light come on and off. But here is the thing it was the light that is on the center console under the radio and stuff. That is the light for the passenger's bag and they were having an issue with the passenger side sensor. It was supposed to be set so that if anything from 10 - 65 pounds (estimate) was sitting in the seat the airbag would automattically cut out, causing the light to come on. This was to protect any children and car seats from getting bashed by the airbag. My sensor was too sensitive and it would come on and off if I would only put down a couple of books, my dealer reajusted the sensor and it works fine now, no extra parts at all. It will now only go off if I put my bookbag on the passenger's seat which proabably weighs 50 pounds. If you are getting a different light like on your instrument pannel by your gages, then this won't help you, but for those others its not to worry.
post #116 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 11:30 AM
Mazda Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by wings@Aug 5 2004, 01:14 AM
Huh? This doesn't make sense to me.
[snapback]158850[/snapback]
No, that isn't right unless it is the most stringent lemon law that I have ever heard of. Lemon laws depend upon the state you live in, but many similar ones have standards like, if your car is in the shop for longer then 3-4 weeks in the first year of ownership or if the shop has faild in fixing the 'same' problem 5 times.
post #117 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 10:39 PM
Mazda Newbie

same here. its odd, the light comes on if i have like a bottle of 2 liter coke or something. it comes on and off.

it comes on for a few seconds even with someone there. is this normal?
post #118 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 01:22 PM
Mazda Newbie

Mazda kicked off a user-generated-contest with Facebook on 9/20. The contest focuses on design. College grads describe a hypothetical 2018 Mazda concept car with words or sketches. The top 5 get to develop their concepts with the Mazda design team, and the winner’s design will be unveiled live at the 2007 LA International Auto Show.

Click here to visit the page.....
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7602701619
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page