Mazda 3 - 2.3L Engine Problems - Page 3 - Mazda Forum

MazdaWorld.org is the premier Mazda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2004, 09:23 AM
Mazda Newbie

I didn't have any problems with mine, but got the PCM flushed 30.3 at 8K maintenance. Not much of a difference, sort of better throttle - but might be just because I know they flushed it.
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2004, 09:28 PM
Mazda Newbie

Flashed PCM today, not sure what revision. I think the car is actually worse than it was. Now on top of the hesitation, my throttle seems to operate like an on/off switch. i think I'll try another dealer. at least the Crash sensor was finally replaced.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:30 PM
Gold Member

Send a message via AIM to beinkken

not much luck for you, try another dealer maybe they'll be more helpful let us know
Old 04-04-2004, 03:20 AM
Mazda Newbie

Gyro Motors (on Laird Ave. Toronto) upgraded the PCM with Version 30.3! Not much better. Still hesitates upon acceleration. I called Gyro to let them know it still wasn't right. The service manager said he would call me back later in the week. I never received a call.

I contacted Mazda Canada and explained to them how dissatisfied I was with my "Car of the year"! Jacques assured me the service technicians were doing everything they could to fix the problem. When I asked if there was someone else I could talk to he repeated that the service technicians were doing everything... bla bla bla... It was like talking to a robot!

My next step is to contact the president of Mazda Canada, the Toronto Star newspaper, Wheels Section and my lawyer.

These guys are running out of time. I'm not happy with the car and Iím getting the feeling that these jokers haven't a clue what's wrong with it or how to fix it!

2004 Mazda 3 Sport GT - Lemon, bought back by Mazda Canada
2001 Yamaha R6 - Champions Edition
1998 Yamaha SRX 700
1996 Sea-Doo XP 800's (2) (Stolen)
1975 BMW 2002
Old 04-07-2004, 11:08 AM
Mazda Newbie

3,020 Km (1,875 Mi.) - In for Service, 4th time for the same hesitation problem.

The following was checked. 1. Evap. System Test. 2. Check Short Fuel Trim. 3. Check Purge Solenoid. Retrieved Code: P2407, Evap Leak Detection Pump. The part is on order, they'll call when it's in, about 2 weeks. Mike, the Service Manager at Gyro Motors test drove the car. Noted the hesitation on acceleration was still present and said "I hate it when the customer is right"

He felt replacing the Pump will have no effect on the hesitation problem. They have to drop part of the rear suspension to replace it!

1998 Yamaha SRX 700
1975 BMW 2002
Old 04-07-2004, 12:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Senna 27@Apr 7 2004, 10:08 AM
Noted the hesitation on acceleration was still present and said "I hate it when the customer is right"

Mobile Internet?Visit www.pangeaproductions.net/wap
Old 04-12-2004, 05:53 PM
Mazda Newbie

On the road to having Mazda Canada replace my car with one that works properly!!!

I called the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (CAMVAP) 1-800-207-0685 and spoke to Vita. Told my story, she said I have a good case for Mazda replacing my car due to their inability to repair the problem. Mazda Canada says they won't replace the car but CAMVAP says they will. But, I have to go through them. According to CAMVAP, the first thing I have to do is contact Gyro to arrange a meeting with the local Mazda Service Representative.

I called Mike (Service Manager) at Gyro to arrange to meet with the local Service Rep. He told me that meeting the Service Rep. won't help resolve the problem with my car and that I'll have to wait about 4 weeks. He only comes in once a month and will call me to confirm the meeting. He sounded a little pissed off that I wanted to set-up a meeting with the Rep.

Still not satisfied, I called Mazda Canada and spoke to Greg. He told me the dealer arranges a meeting with the Service Rep. I explained the conversation I had with Mike and told him I wasn't satisfied with having to wait another month. He told me that the Reps. are on a schedule and can't tell me when I can expect a meeting.

Still not satisfied, I called CAMVAP and explained the situation. She said "boy, that sounds like the standard answer". She is going to contact Mazda Canada on my behalf to "get the ball rolling" and I should hear from Mazda by the end of the week, April 16.

Update: What a surprise! Gyro called on Tuesday April 13th. to tell me I have an appointment with the local Service Rep. on Friday April 16th. We'll see what happens.

1998 Yamaha SRX 700
1975 BMW 2002
Old 04-14-2004, 04:34 PM
Mazda Newbie

I d hate to say this, but I am glad you're having the same problems as I and that you're from Canada. On that note, sorry that you are enduring the same frustration. I commend you on your progress with the Mazda rep and CAMVAP. I have had my car in three times with no change in engine performance. Specifically, without repeating the same things as you, my engine has noticeably less (not much, but still noticeable) power than when i bought it. I have 6500 km on it and this had started around 2000-2500 km. I also experience a hesitation at about 3000 - 3200 rpm. I most notice the engine power loss in first gear. With the head mechanic here in Calgary, he took a demo and my car out (2.3 L) and agreed there is a difference with my car being slightly slower. I explain the original power in first as pulling hard enough almost breaking traction, continuous throughout the majority of the powerband. Now, with the power loss, it's not even close.. very similar to my protege5. Infact, i can't really tell much of a difference. Anyway, I am on the verge of following suit with CAMVAP, but I'd like to hear what you have to say after your meeting. Please keep me and others posted. I am reassured with your experience that we might have this problem resolved.. Did you find anything out with lemon laws or consumer protection? I am still looking for some kind of concrete legislaiton to reference to. But the dealer still can't resolve the problem.. Any other advise, tactic or method in negotiating/communicating to the dealer?

Old 04-14-2004, 08:02 PM
Mazda Newbie

Arrow

I was interested to read about the engine troubles. I picked mine up about 1,000km ago and noticed it doesn't pull smoothly across the rev range at a constant throttle opening - its almost as though its misfiring. Its not really bad but its sufficient to be noticeable especially in a car which is otherwise so good. Also, its not as smooth as I would expect for a state-of-the-art 4-cylinder engine when on the cruise control at 50-60 kph (pesky speed limits). Perhaps the most perplexing thing is that on accelerating I'm pretty sure I don't always get the same amount of go for my throttle input. And for good measure the engine whirrs rather a lot when its warm above c. 3000 rpm. All in all, I'm not impressed. Perhaps its those Ford genes! I spoke to the supplying dealer's service manager in Toronto who seemed very helpful and asked me to bring it in when convenient for me (gasp!)for them to look. This is the first time I've bought from them - I'm not expecting miracles, especially as the faults are subtle and not consistent. The build date is Jan 2004. I don't know the PCM version. I'll let you know if they have the miracle cure.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:04 PM
Mazda Newbie

Just a quick suggestion.....Other sites and other threads on this forum have indicated that many 3 owners have a fuel pump problem at start up. Apparently the pump can't make enough pressure - particularly in the cold when viscosity is higher. The hesitation under hard acceleration could be caused by exactly the same thing. Any comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement