Loose gas cap - Mazda Forum

MazdaWorld.org is the premier Mazda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2004, 02:20 PM
Mazda Newbie

The 'check engine' light on my 3 (2800K)came on for the first time ever yesterday. After checking the manual, it suggested it could be a loose gas cap. I checked the cap and it was indeed loose. After re-tightening the cap,the light did not go off. I took it to the dealership and they assured me the light will go off in 'the next few days'. (they didn't have time to reset it unless i wanted to wait for an opening later in the day.) I've drive 40 miles since then and the light is still on. When does the light go off? Is it triggered by number of starts or miles driven or just time?

Why a 'check engine' light for a loose gas cap and why the loose gas cap? I've never experienced even HAVING a loose gas cap before this. Are mazda gas caps known to come loose? (this is my first mazda)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2004, 12:56 AM

I had the same thing happen on my ranger. The dealership had to reset the check engine light. Hopefully your's will go out on it's own though.
Old 05-22-2004, 02:11 AM
Mazda Newbie

Your light will go off but only after the system runs a self test and it see's no more leeks. This can take a few times driving and letting the car cool down.Smog law's requier fule systems to test for leeks down to .5mm . Mazda gas cap's are fine just be sure it clicks at least twice and be sure key is off when filling.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:28 PM
Mazda Newbie

Thumbs up

I currently ahve the same problem and it hasnt gone off. I drive 90mi/day and.... Anybody know how to just reset it without going to the dealer?
Old 05-29-2004, 01:36 AM
Gold Member

Send a message via AIM to ShadowSE Send a message via MSN to ShadowSE Send a message via Yahoo to ShadowSE

mine even says on the gas filler... be sure that it clicks 3x or you will see a CEL... thats what you get with systems like these...
Old 06-01-2004, 01:50 PM
Mazda Newbie

I originally posted the message about the light and the gas cap and for what its worth wanted to say that my light FINALLY went off on its own after 700+ miles, 2 fill ups at the gas pump and 11 days.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:36 AM
Mazda Newbie

I had the same problem and I made sure my gas cap was tightened. After driving about 600 more miles the light eventually did turn off. I still have an appt. at the dealer but I think I might cancel it after finding out that it will turn off after some time. I feel a bit more at ease now about it.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Mazda Newbie

What up everyone-
I just bought a 2005 3s hatchback w/ only 21k miles on it, it seemed like a really good deal and a really nice car as well. Three days later the CEL light came on. I noticed that the gas cap is very loose; it clicks on turning right as it should, but no matter how many times it clicks, it seems like just a touch opens it all they way unlike any other car I have ever experienced. Is this similar to the problem in this thread? I am taking the car to a mazda dealer in a few days and hopefully they can fix the problem under warranty, if not its going to be a big problem for me. Does anyone know if this is a common issue in these cars and might it be indicative of larger problems?

Any help is greatly appreciated; if I end up keeping the car I'm going to be spending a lot of time on this site!
Old 06-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Mazda Newbie

What up everyone-
I just bought a 2005 3s hatchback w/ only 21k miles on it, it seemed like a really good deal and a really nice car as well. Three days later the CEL light came on. I noticed that the gas cap is very loose; it clicks on turning right as it should, but no matter how many times it clicks, it seems like just a touch opens it all they way unlike any other car I have ever experienced. Is this similar to the problem in this thread? I am taking the car to a mazda dealer in a few days and hopefully they can fix the problem under warranty, if not its going to be a big problem for me. Does anyone know if this is a common issue in these cars and might it be indicative of larger problems?

Any help is greatly appreciated; if I end up keeping the car I'm going to be spending a lot of time on this site!
Old 06-03-2008, 12:30 PM
MazdaWorld Member

go to autozone, they can reset it for you for free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement