security indicator - Mazda Forum

MazdaWorld.org is the premier Mazda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2007, 10:51 AM
Mazda Newbie

Can anyone tell me why my security indicator is flashing when the car is turned off, and how to reset it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2007, 06:20 PM

The light that flashes when the key is out of the ignition is the engine immobilizer light. It should look like a car with a key inside it. It flashes to tell people that the car is equipped with an engine immobilizer so they can't just break the ignition and start the car.

It's working perfectly, no need to reset anything.

Mods to come: ??????? || Audio Aux Input Thread || Flip Key Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 07:35 PM
Mazda Newbie

Quote:
The light that flashes when the key is out of the ignition is the engine immobilizer light. It should look like a car with a key inside it. It flashes to tell people that the car is equipped with an engine immobilizer so they can't just break the ignition and start the car.

It's working perfectly, no need to reset anything.[/b]

Thanks for the info, You would think the owners manual would mention this. Again, I appreciate the reply
Old 05-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Mazda Newbie

Quote:

The both of you are gems!

I just bought a Maxx Sport and have been trying to figure out what the **** I have done wrong to have that car with a key in it icon flashing on my front dash!

My previous car was a 12 year old Hyundai Lantra with no bells or whistles...this Mazda is going to take a while to get used to!

You have made my day
Thanks!
M
Old 05-13-2007, 12:21 PM

Any time.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:36 PM
Mazda Newbie

..however, no warning for driving with the parking brake on. Even the cheapest Chevy Cobalt will begin to beep when you try to drive it with brake on. The only indictator on the manual transmission models, is that the car accellerates somewhat slower, and feels a bit tardier. After a few minutes of highway: burnt smell form the back
Old 05-13-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
..however, no warning for driving with the parking brake on. Even the cheapest Chevy Cobalt will begin to beep when you try to drive it with brake on. The only indictator on the manual transmission models, is that the car accellerates somewhat slower, and feels a bit tardier. After a few minutes of highway: burnt smell form the back [/b]
Well my car has a brake light that comes up on the cluster when my parking brake is on.... doesn't yours?.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:00 AM
Mazda Newbie

Quote:
Well my car has a brake light that comes up on the cluster when my parking brake is on.... doesn't yours?.[/b]
..well to be accurate, the parking brake has indeed an indicator in the instrument cluster -- unfortunately NOT blinking, nor of any significant contrast. The parking brake light blends all too well in with the background illumination. If the engine controller could just figure out that shift stick is not neutral and parking brake light is "ON", then give me some beeps before it gets ugly.

I guess it could be possible to combine the clutch depressed indication and parking brake on, to energize a buzzer, using some relay from Radio Schack. The engine wont start unless clutch is depressed on a manual transmission, so there is definetly already a sensor/switch available for monitoring both events. Q: What would be the easiest way to get a decent indicator, whithout replacing the lamp in the instrument cluster or installing micro switch trying to sense the neutral/other gear position ?
Old 05-14-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
..well to be accurate, the parking brake has indeed an indicator in the instrument cluster -- unfortunately NOT blinking, nor of any significant contrast. The parking brake light blends all too well in with the background illumination. If the engine controller could just figure out that shift stick is not neutral and parking brake light is "ON", then give me some beeps before it gets ugly.

I guess it could be possible to combine the clutch depressed indication and parking brake on, to energize a buzzer, using some relay from Radio Schack. The engine wont start unless clutch is depressed on a manual transmission, so there is definetly already a sensor/switch available for monitoring both events. Q: What would be the easiest way to get a decent indicator, whithout replacing the lamp in the instrument cluster or installing micro switch trying to sense the neutral/other gear position ?[/b]
Good point, it's not a very good contrast. We'd probably need someone with a wiring diagram to run through and find where those sensors are and how to tap them into a relay/switch. Personally if that were happening I'd like it to have a few seconds of delay... I mean I don't need it telling me I'm pushing the clutch in when I'm just starting the car.

Another option would be to desolder the red LED on the board and replace it with an amber LED.... or something else that would contrast more. Then again I'd prefer that the cruise LED not be bright amber as it gets a little annoying. I mean I know that the cruise is on silly. <sigh>

Old 11-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Mazda Newbie

Quote:

I have the same problem and according to the Mazda manual it should be flashing when switched to the ACC position. It says nothing about it flashing when in Off position. And i remember it not flashing before.

Although the Security Indicator light stops whilst in ON position, and whilst running. As it should, it should only flash in the Acc position. Not in Off position.

Any further advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

thinwire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement