Considering a CX-9 purchase - Mazda Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Considering a CX-9 purchase

Hello owners! I'm in the early stages of car shopping.

We are a family of 4, with kids ages 13 and 10. With all our gear, our BMW sedan is getting too small, and it's time for an upgrade.

Whatever car we buy, we will keep it for a long time. We put barely 5k miles per year on our cars; our current ride is 2001 BMW 530. Not going German again due to expense of repairs.

Our most basic needs are something that can be used in the mtns for ski trips (we will be adding a roof rack.)

I like the CX-5 but feel that is is just too small in terms of the room behind the back seat.

Our budget is 35-42k. We are cross shopping the Subaru Outback, but I am not a fan of CVT.

I'd like to know, A) what kind of real world mileage people are seeing (CTY and HWY) and b) If you think that we're wasting money on a three row car (in other words, we should look at a CX-5). I'd also like to know how new owners feel about the turbo engine, and fit and finish.

I have only owned German cars for the last 18 years, but the X3 is too small, X5 too pricey, and German cars in general not reliable.

Comments welcome.

Last edited by newbuyer; 12-19-2016 at 02:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 05:22 PM
Mazda Newbie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello! My first post too! LOL!

We took delivery of a CX-9 Grand Touring about a month ago, and so far we are extremely pleased with it. Coming from the perspective of someone who loves performance/muscle cars, I never thought I would get excited about an SUV, but so far this car is incredible.

A. We are seeing about 22 mpg combined. Keep in mind that the vehicle is still "breaking in" and should see a very minor improvement in mileage over time.

B. The rear row folds down rather nicely with minimal effort to create a rather generous cargo area in the back. Part of our reasoning in the CX-9 is that we have a family member that might soon need a wheelchair/mobility chair, and there is more than sufficient room.

C. The turbo cylinder... Like you, this is one point that I was skeptical about. 4400 lb curb weight, plus another ~1000 lbs or so for a family of four and associated cargo, and I felt that was an awful lot of weight for a turbo 2.5L to haul around. Surprisingly the car is NOT underpowered. In fact the car acts more like it has a performance V6 or small V8 under the hood the pickup and acceleration are that good. Turbo lag is minimal (obviously).

HOWEVER, that being said, I would seriously consider getting the maximum extended warranty. Again, small displacement engine with a turbocharger and pulling a lot of weight means the engine is seeing a lot of stress.

D. Fit and finish. I would say excellent. The last time I drove something this smooth and quiet was a first generation Lexus LS400. Handling is surprisingly good especially considering weight and a high center of gravity.

E. Safety and Features. Mazda really made an effort to make the car as "distraction free" for the driver as much as possible. If you have a chance to take one out for a test drive, you'll see this with the heads-up display. Ironically when we took our test drive we actually ended up driving through the middle of a cloudburst, so we had a chance to see all the safety features in action including the AWD. Definitely worth the extra investment in my opinion.

Hope this helps with your decision :-)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 07:43 AM
Mazda Newbie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question CX9 NewOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbuyer View Post
Hello owners! I'm in the early stages of car shopping.

We are a family of 4, with kids ages 13 and 10. With all our gear, our BMW sedan is getting too small, and it's time for an upgrade.

Whatever car we buy, we will keep it for a long time. We put barely 5k miles per year on our cars; our current ride is 2001 BMW 530. Not going German again due to expense of repairs.

Our most basic needs are something that can be used in the mtns for ski trips (we will be adding a roof rack.)

I like the CX-5 but feel that is is just too small in terms of the room behind the back seat.

Our budget is 35-42k. We are cross shopping the Subaru Outback, but I am not a fan of CVT.

I'd like to know, A) what kind of real world mileage people are seeing (CTY and HWY) and b) If you think that we're wasting money on a three row car (in other words, we should look at a CX-5). I'd also like to know how new owners feel about the turbo engine, and fit and finish.

I have only owned German cars for the last 18 years, but the X3 is too small, X5 too pricey, and German cars in general not reliable.

Comments welcome.
I have less than a month ago purchased the CX-9 Touring. Then car is a beauty but accessorizing has bcome a problem.
Get used to idea of a space-saver spare which I knew about but was willing to compromise on. Your intention of fitting a roof rack caught my eye and hence my comment. The roof rack mounting is factory determined and the two bars are only about a metre (36inches approx) which makes it almost useless for carrying anything long, such as skies and such things. The previous model had the bars farther apart but for some reason the current 2016 model is different.
The car is great to drive with plenty of space front and rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page