Mazda 6S Cooling Fan Gone Crazy - Mazda Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought my 6s back in May 2003. The engine during warm summer temps. has been "whisper" quiet. Back in November, after a 300+ mile trip to L.A. from San Jose, California, I noticed while driving down Santa Monica Blvd. in the evening, that the cooling fan was running at high speed. You could really hear it with the windows up. It was making a pretty good humming sounds right through the firewall. I parked the car, shut off the engine, and the fan continued to run for about a minute and then shut off. That was the beginning of a weird cycle, where the fan will often be running at high speed while driving in average speed city traffic. I'm also talking about outside temperatures of 45-60 degrees F. Now all summer long through 80's-90+ degree heat, it never did this. Whats going on? I can actually hear my wife pulling into our driveway while I'm sitting in the house with the windows and front door closed and can hear that fan running at high speed.

I took the car in to Mazda, and the fan refuses to duplicate the problem. As long as nice cool winter air is pushing through the radiator, that fan shouldn't be coming on like this. I can understand if the car sat at idle, but something is "haywire".

I didn't see any service bulletins at Alldata either!

What should I do?

Regards, Eightballsidepocket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 05:11 PM
Mazda Newbie

OPERATION OF COOLING FANS
Applicable Models
Model Starting S/N Ending S/N
2003 MAZDA6 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ

The customer may complaint of the following: 1. A/C doesn't cool well. 2. Engine's cooling fans run all the time, even with the A/C in the "off" position. 3. Engine runs hot (overheat). Replace the Electric Fan Control Unit. It is mounted the top of the left fan shroud. The part number is AJ51-15-15Y.

This the information the service dept should use to update the fan module.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 01:19 AM
Mazda Newbie

I am currently having an almost exact problem with my Mazda 6s. I have had the car since Jan 2003 and have no significant problems at all and the engine has been running really quiet. Recently, in the past two weeks, the cooling fan has been making a loud humming sound even if I have driven only a short distance of about 3 miles. The other day I drove for approximately 60 miles and never heard it get noisy at all. Hours later I take it out to go the grocery store ( 3 miles round trip), and I can hear the cooling fan humming fairly loud. The engine cooling indicator is between C and H, and there doesn't seem to be a problem of the car overheating. Also, the the fan continues to fun for about 5 seconds after shutting off the car. The temperature outside has been cool to cold. I am not sure why all of a sudden it is making this kind of noise ,as I have only 9000 miles on the car and never drive it hard or make long trips. Any advice on this? This would more understandable if the car were driven for a long distance or something, or it was very hot outside.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 08:52 PM
Mazda Newbie

Sadly I have the same problem in a 2004 Mazda 6. About one week ago the fan would come on and run high at unusual times. At first I thought it was just me not noticing at first till something bad happened today. I run into the store to pick up one item and leave my mother in the car running, I came back pulled out of my spot and all of a sudden the temp dial is on H and massive smoke and anti freeze smell. I shut the car off and opened the hood. Anti freeze was shooting out of the area of the metal pipe behind the overflow bottle.

Now i can only wonder if #1 When I get it to Mazda will it duplicate the problem # 2 How to get it to the shop, don't want to take a chance and drive to the dealership a good 25 mins. away.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 11:30 AM
Silver Member

Call Mazda Road Side Assistance and have them tow it to the dealer. (All free).

The fan controller is a recall now, so there shouldn't be any problem getting it replaced.
http://forum.mazda6tech.com/about1465.html

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 11:19 AM
Mazda Newbie

The chump may complaint of the following: 1. A/C doesn't air-conditioned well. 2. Engine's cooling admirers run all the time, even with the A/C in the "off" position. 3. Engine runs hot (overheat). Replace the Electric Fan Control Unit. It is army the top of the larboard fan shroud. The allotment amount is AJ51-15-15Y.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 04:06 AM
Mazda Newbie

My daughter Brenda has the opposite problem with her radiator fan, it won't run at all. First we checked the fans, they run with 12 volts, both of them. Have changed the fan unit on the drivers side of the radiator, at about $125.00, still won't come on. Changed the A/C relay inside the fuse box next to your left foot, changed the thermostat, and unplugged the temp sensor close to the thermostat, and the fan still won't come on. However, when she unplugged the battery, and plugged it back on, the fans would come on with the A/C running, then after a short run, the fans go off and will not come back on, and then the motor over heats and you must shut it off.
Has anyone had this problem with their radiator fan motors and managed to get it fixed?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Mazda Newbie

1. A/C doesn't cool well. 2. Engine's cooling fans run all the time, even with the A/C in the "off" position. 3. Engine runs hot (overheat). Replace the Electric Fan Control Unit. It is mounted the top of the left fan shroud. The part number is AJ51-15-15Y.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 08:27 PM
Mazda Newbie

Although it sounds like a fan, i had the same sound come from my 2005 and it turned out to be the overdrive. Something to do with the RPM's going up with they arent supposed to making the engine run hot and therefore needing to cool down. Honestly i could never get the Mazda dealer to see the problem either. eventually got a new car. Runnin in a 09 now and have had no problems at 78K miles. thought there is a headlight issue. but at least it isn't engine related.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page