Keyless Entry Woes - Mazda Forum

MazdaWorld.org is the premier Mazda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2008, 12:06 AM
Mazda Newbie

My wife owns a Mazda 6 and about 6 months ago her keyless entry remote stopped working. We replaced the battery.... still nothing. We attempted to reprogram using the door open/close/key on/etc method (on three different remotes) and still nothing. I checked the fuses and the front cigarette lighter fuse was blown. We took it to the dealer and they did all of the same methods, then once they couldn't get it working they said they'd have to run it through "diagnostics" which would run us 100 bucks just for the test. Any thoughts? I tried swapping out the rear cig. lighter fuse for the main one and that didn't do anything.

Nerr.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

You can perform the keyless entry diagnostics yourself. Here's how:

1. Remove ignition key from steering lock and close all doors and trunk lid
2. Open driver-side door
3. Perform the following procedures within 24 seconds
<blockquote>a. Insert ignition key into steering lock
b. Turn ignition switch to ON position, then back to LOCK position 4 times
c. Push driver's side door jamb switch 3 times</blockquote>

The following diagnostic procedure should begin:
  • All doors lock
  • Driver's side door unlocks
  • Passenger's side and rear doors unlock
  • Trunk lid opens
  • Horn sounds twice and hazard lights flash
If the diagnostic completes successfully, the problem is with the remote.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:17 PM
Mazda Newbie

Thank you for the diagnostic method! Everything went out without a hitch, so it looks like it must be a remote issue. We have her stock remote and then two other that the dealership gave us to try. We'll order a new one and see if that helps at all. Here's to hoping! Thanks a bunch Milly
Old 04-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Mazda Newbie

When I bought my 2004 Mazda 6i about a year ago, my salesman never gave me a remote for the car. He said they had a box full of extras and told me to come back that weekend to get one. After going to the delaership every weekend for close to 3 months, someone finally gave me an old remote with all the buttons graphics worn off. No big deal. A salesman shows me how to program it(ignition 3 times, door jam 3 times, etc). Remote worked fine for a few months. Then it slowly started losing signal and I'd pretty much have to be right next to the car for it to work before it finally gave out all together. I replaced the battery and it didnt work. I took the remote to Auto Zone where they have an actually signal strength test to see if your remote is still functioning. The remote was shot. No signal. I went back to the dealership and demanded a new remote and refused to pay the $125+ for a brand new remote. After close to an hour of arguing with the sales manager, he gave me another used remote, no charge. Of course now they wanted $85 dollars to program it. I Already know the steps to program it and couldnt justify spending that much cash for them to perform that crazy easy procedure. I took it to Auto Zone and this remote was working but for some reason when I follow the programing steps the remote doesnt do anything. Ive done that diagnostic test. Everything went perfect. I called the dealership and they said it could be a problem with the Keyless control module. I cant find any information on that part anywhere on the net. I called auto zone to see if they carried that part or even knew where it was located in the car with no luck. If the diagnostic test ran smoothly then wouldnt that mean the module/receiving end in car is functioning properly? If not then does anyone know where the module is located? Also if anyone has some answer as to why I cant program this remote. Im trying to avoid going to the dealership at all cost. I dont trust them and think everyone there is a worthless parasite.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like the second used remote may not be for a Mazda 6. What's the FCC ID code on the back of the remote?
Old 07-28-2008, 02:41 AM
Mazda Newbie

Quote:
Sounds like the second used remote may not be for a Mazda 6. What's the FCC ID code on the back of the remote?[/b]
I tried the diagnostic process stated and didn't get it to work. Maybe I did it wrong , by jamb you mean the power lock button right ? I did everything you said and no response.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Platinum Member

No, the plunger button that gets pressed when the door is shut. The one that's wired to the dome light and alarm. Rather than press the door jamb switch 3 times, you could just shut and open the driver's side door 3 times to get the same effect.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:53 AM
Mazda Newbie

Quote:
No, the plunger button that gets pressed when the door is shut. The one that's wired to the dome light and alarm. Rather than press the door jamb switch 3 times, you could just shut and open the driver's side door 3 times to get the same effect.[/b]
Thanks , I now feel like a big dummy. It worked. Is it true you need at least one working remote to reprogram? I just got my Mazda6, it's only got 68000 km on it. I dont think the remote would be wanr out by now . I changed the battery , did the re-programming and nothing
Old 07-29-2008, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks , I now feel like a big dummy. It worked. Is it true you need at least one working remote to reprogram? I just got my Mazda6, it's only got 68000 km on it. I dont think the remote would be wanr out by now . I changed the battery , did the re-programming and nothing [/b]
What are the codes on the back of the remote? Has the remote ever worked since you got the car? Last owner might have gotten the transmitter wet or something. eBay is usually a good source of inexpensive remotes. Generally $20-30 for a used one in good condition. There are a couple of eBay sellers that specialize in used remotes, so they are tested and guaranteed to not be DOA. There are also aftermarket options available from places like http://www.keylessride.com that offer brand new replacements for about $60 or http://www.originalkeyless.com if you don't care for eBay. You don't need to be in possession of a functioning remote in order to program another. The receiver will learn to connect to any remote you add during the programming stage. You can program up to 4 remotes.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:32 AM
Mazda Newbie

Quote:
What are the codes on the back of the remote? Has the remote ever worked since you got the car? Last owner might have gotten the transmitter wet or something. eBay is usually a good source of inexpensive remotes. Generally $20-30 for a used one in good condition. There are a couple of eBay sellers that specialize in used remotes, so they are tested and guaranteed to not be DOA. There are also aftermarket options available from places like http://www.keylessride.com that offer brand new replacements for about $60 or http://www.originalkeyless.com if you don't care for eBay. You don't need to be in possession of a functioning remote in order to program another. The receiver will learn to connect to any remote you add during the programming stage. You can program up to 4 remotes.[/b]
No , the remote hasn't worked at all. My fiancee works at a Ford dealer , and they have four button remotes there i believe. So I'm going to ask her to get one to see if it will work . I really appreciate all the info your giving me . Speaking of which , what are inexspensive mods I can do to my car , or a good source for mazda6 stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement