AFS (Adaptive Front Lighting System) - Mazda Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Am a new member, have searched for answer to this but can't seem to find anything....

I've just bought a new Mazda 6 sport. One of reasons I chose this car was because it has AFS (Adaptive Front Lighting System), which (according to brochure and user manual) is supposed to turn the headlights in the direction steered, as well as turn on some additional lamps (like additional side fog lamps) to illuminate corners. While the cornering lamps do come on, I can't perceive any change in headlamp direction when cornering.
I wrote to Mazda and got a pretty useless reply saying I should check I haven't disabled the feature by pressing the "AFS Off" button (duh!), or to take it to a local dealer.
Can anyone advise me on this?

The 2.2 185ps diesel engine is still very new (1000 miles) so I don't thrash it, but it does seem to have penty of oomph (or should I say "Zoom-Zoom") in reserve....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Mazda Newbie

Hi all.

Yes i am interested in this as well,,,,,,, while side lights do come on when going around a corner the main lights do not turn at all.

Well at least on my 2009 2.2 diesel sports hatch here in Australia,,,, but then again Mazda Australia did not even know that my car had headlight washers
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Hello Hergy, in case we may not get an answer via the forum, I've booked the car into my local Mazda dealer for 15th Oct to have it checked out, they say this will be warranty work and I won't be charged even if it turns out there is nothing wrong, can't be bad! I will let you know the outcome. At least now I can tell them the problem is world wide, not just UK!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 08:46 AM
Mazda Newbie

No worries mate.

I will wait for your news eagerly
Hergy
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Mazda Newbie

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Well done Hergy, pretty clear isn't it? I looked at some of the related YT vids too, some (Audi/BMW) have cams inside cars driven at night and clearly show the beams swinging from side to side with the steering, so we should be able to tell when it is working and as we can't it isn't!
Anyone else got any input to this?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Hope you are sitting down, my friend...

I've just spoken to a service technician at the main dealer through which my car was supplied. He tells me that whilst the new Mazda3 does have turning headlamps, the Mazda6 does not. It appears Mazda have made a mistake in the Mazda UK brochure by describing the headlamps as turning, all you get is the additional lamps coming on at the side. As it is clear now the car isn't faulty I won't be taking it in to be looked at on 15th as planned.

When choosing to buy a new car this time round, Iwas specifically looking for this feature as I will be doing a lot of driving on winding country roads in the dark months of the year. I nearly bought a top-of-range Ford Mondeo as it does have turning headlamps but went for the Mazda6 Sport as I preferred the car and it still (apparantly) had the turning lamps. So, this was a material factor in my choice of car and, I feel I have been misled by Mazda UK.

I am going to write again to Mazda UK and won't be fobbed off. The technician says it's not possible to upgrade the Mazda6 AFS to the system fitted on the new Mazda3, so I will be seeking some other form of compensation. I assume the Mazda Australia brochure has the same misleading text as is on page 10 in the Mazda UK brochure, I had a look on the Mazda Australia website but it doesn't go into that much detail. I'll let you know how I get on. Regards.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 12:04 AM
Mazda Newbie

Keep me informed how you get on as one of the factors i bought the Mazda 6 was AFS lights. This is what it says in my manual:

The adaptive front lighting system (AFS) automatically adjusts the headlight beams to the left or right in conjunction with the operation of the steering wheel after the headlights have been turned on.

Hergy
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Hi Hergy,

Had reply from Mazda UK saying:
- static corner lamps do same job as turning head lamps in mazda 3 but by different method (we both know that is untrue)
- brochure makes no mention of lamps physically turning (re-read page 10 of brochure!)
- Mazda 6 can't be upgraded to Mazda 3 AFS system
- compensation refused but their brand dept has been advised (big deal).

I emailed "What Car" mag and they put me on to UK-based Society of Motor Manufacturers & Traders who set up industry standard codes of practice, called them, they agree I have a right to be upset but suggested I contact my local Trading Standards for advice. Have also emailed BBC TV's Watchdog program, but slim chance they will take up though they recently did an article on BMW wheels cracking when run-flat tyres fitted.
Will ring Trading Standards though I am then slipping down litigation route as Mazda have probably flouted several UK advertising/sale of goods laws, and I'm not prepared to fork out large sums of dosh for legal fees, etc.

I'll let you know if I get anywhere but for sure, I will NEVER buy another Mazda as I simply don't trust their advertising any more. Will stick to Ford in future as you know what you're getting and get what you were promised. Have you got anywhere with your own enquiries?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 10:08 PM
Mazda Newbie

Hi..

This is what it says in my manual:

The adaptive front lighting system (AFS) automatically adjusts the headlight beams to the left or right in conjunction with the operation of the steering wheel after the headlights have been turned on.

...First i was told by Mazda Australia that my car only has Zeon headlights on low beam only and that they should turn no more then 5 degrees and i would barley notice it, i told then what BS as my car has it on both low and high beam adn that it does not turn the main headlights but switchees on auxilary lights on the coresponding corner to which the steering wheel is turned.. They said that i was wrong, then i told them you are the same fools that told me my car did not have headlight washers and i found out from a Mazda forum in the USA that it has and that when the dealer seen them he was bamboozled. As far as im concerned Mazda Australia know bugger all about this car and that i know more.

As for you buying a Ford, i took the Ford Mondeo for a run and the Mazda 6 leaves it for dead, i will just put up with the headlight problem..... also i drive my car normally and am getting 55mpg from it, heaps better then the Mondeo too.

Hergy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page