My Rx8 Engine is Flooded, how can i fix it ?? - Mazda Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs down

Hello all, i hate to inform you, that this morning i flooded the engine of my RX8. It happened when i went to start it up, and it stalled before i could catch it. Now the car will not even turn over.

I would realy like to fix this on my own, and i was wondering if any of you knew how to fix it, or could direct me towards some one that might. Any help is appreciated, and i would like to do this my self, so incase it happens in the future, i am not left stranded waiting for a tow truck to take me to the nearest mazda dealer. Also i find it rediculous that they want me to pay $285.00 for something, that from what i understand should not be all that hard.

If there is a way for me to do it on my own, i would truely appreciate it. I am car savvy, and should be able to do this simple task on my own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Mazda Newbie

Quote:
Hello all, i hate to inform you, that this morning i flooded the engine of my RX8. It happened when i went to start it up, and it stalled before i could catch it. Now the car will not even turn over.

I would realy like to fix this on my own, and i was wondering if any of you knew how to fix it, or could direct me towards some one that might. Any help is appreciated, and i would like to do this my self, so incase it happens in the future, i am not left stranded waiting for a tow truck to take me to the nearest mazda dealer. Also i find it rediculous that they want me to pay $285.00 for something, that from what i understand should not be all that hard.

If there is a way for me to do it on my own, i would truely appreciate it. I am car savvy, and should be able to do this simple task on my own.[/b]
When this happens STOP cranking immediatly, your just making it worse at that point and will have to do more to get it started. If you stopped immediatly you might be able to get away with just pulling the two fuel relays located in the fuse panel in engine compartment (fuel, circuit) both blue and right next to each other. than unplug the secondary air connector located in engine compartment passenger side (large grey connector right on top). Then with wide open throttle crank the engine over a few times, be mindfull of battery power if you dont have a charger. Then reinstall relays and crank, withOUT wide open throttle. if you can reach, you can also loosen the plug wires a little bit, (not disconnected just loosened) and this will help burn off the extra fuel. if this doesn't work you may need to pull the plugs and crank the engine to spray the fuel out, but at this point you will have so little battery power if you dont have a charger that you will not be able to crank it sufficently anyways.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member

When cranking the engine with the throttle wide open, the ECU will disable the fuel injectors, so there shouldn't be any need to pull any relays. IIRC, the procedure to clear a flooded engine from the RX-8 owners manual is to crank it for up to 20 seconds with the throttle floored. Then crank for up to 20 seconds with no throttle to start the engine. If it doesn't start, you might repeat the process once more (giving the starter a few minutes to cool). If it still doesn't start, there may be something else wrong.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 02:06 AM
Mazda Newbie

Quote:

If there is a way for me to do it on my own, i would truely appreciate it. I am car savvy, and should be able to do this simple task on my own.[/b]
check out the mazda rx8 vids on you tube .com , there is actual mazda tech guy (factory tech) showing correct flood recover routine.
if you can't find it, can email, post link back for this vid (as i saved in my favorite vids a few years back !?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Mazda Newbie

I have to say that i've owned my RX8 04 model for 2 1/2 years, and in that time the car has flooded on me 3 times to the point where i had to call out the RAC and twice where i've managed toget it going myself. The first time the RAC came out they told me that if anyone places a call for an RX8 that won't start the chances are it's flooded, its a known problem with the car in many repair garages not just Mazda and in my opinion a major pain in the arse. I love the car but find myself constantly aware of starting and stopping the engine too soon incase it floods. Mazda must be well aware of this problem and in my opinion its a design fault, it doesn't stop me liking the car but as i said a major pain in the arse.

The only reason i've joined this forum by the way is if you type My RX8 into google the first things that pop up are "My RX8 wont start and My RX8 is flooded" LOL
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
When cranking the engine with the throttle wide open, the ECU will disable the fuel injectors,[/b]
Is it correct for all (or most) of the cars?

2001 Mazda Millenia S 178k Brilliant Black
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 07:51 PM
Mazda Newbie

Quote:
Is it correct for all (or most) of the cars?[/b]
Has anyone noticed that the guy that first started this topic was a mear six years younger.. He's probably sold his RX8 5 years ago bought a Nissan had two kids, got divorced, re married again, had another kid, changed his job twice!! And we are still advising him on how best to get it started.. You have to admit this could be classic comedy material
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Banned by Goliat6288

lol... that really is funny. u forgot to mention, sold the nissan and got a minivan after the kids came.

Lowered on Ksport Kontrol Pro Coilovers
KLZE powered
Rolling on Mazda 6 snowflakes
Fixing my mistakes
http://milleniatech.net/ by Millyowner
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 07:15 AM
Mazda Newbie

Quote:
lol... that really is funny. u forgot to mention, sold the nissan and got a minivan after the kids came.[/b]
Well as a latest news update i've managed to track down wcbdad and he's changed his name to Synthia after first making this post all those years ago. She is greatfull to you all for the advice given, the car was eventually started on the 3rd December 2004 using the "oh no i've worn out the starter motor method" I would like to request that this thread is kept for posterity as an example of how usefull this forum can be.

Thank you and goodnight
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 12:45 PM
Mazda Newbie

Default try jump starting it

Just turned up to pick up my rx8 after some body work and they have flooded the engine after i told them about not turning it off when the engine is cold!!! durrrr

we tried what was advised in the manual, didn't work... we rang mazda who suggested removing the spark plugs, this involved jacking the car up! so couldn't try that

we did manage to start it by pushing the car then starting it in 2nd gear tho! worked for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page