(!)2000 millenia S 2.3 miller cycle PROBLEMS!!!! - Mazda Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(!)2000 millenia S 2.3 miller cycle PROBLEMS!!!!

ok so our millenia is having some problems. its idling low at about 500 normaly, and alot of the time no matter what gear it is in it will randomly sound like its going to die but it wont, it will stay at around 2 or 300 rpm and sound like its running off 2 or 3 cylinders. stepping on the gas does not take the problem away, it will simply stop and go back to a smooth idle whenever it feels like it. the check engine light is on and flashing. the codes are saying that its a miss fire in cylinder 3, bad o2, or bad cat. the mechanic cant figure it out and says he cant find anything wrong but the codes are there still and its running bad. PLEASE HELP

Last edited by love2drive; 12-09-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 02:54 PM
Gold Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
step 1. what are the exact codes? and dont even think about posting what someone SAYS the codes mean, we need the exact code. ie, P0300, P1421, yada, yada

step 2. find another "mechanic". i would suggest a reputable shop, not some wannabe who dont even know basic, simple codes.

step 3. dont drive the car if the check engine is flashing. this means you can do major engine damage if you insist on driving

when was the last time the spark plugs were changed, and WHAT PLUG is in there? and do you know for SURE the rear bank plugs were changed? if you paid someone to change the plugs, there is a good chance they did not change the rear bank because of the labor involved. a bad plug will do exactly as you describe. so will a bad coil. also, oil in the spark plug wells will make it miss, but generally speaking, not as bad as what you have now.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

i dont remember the exact codes. and the plugs were changed about 2 weeks ago. put ngk plugs in, thought that would fix it because the previous owner had american plugs in it, but after a day the light was back on and flashing. yes the rear bank plugs were changed.

this is the second time the mechanic has had the car. this time going on 3 days and he still cant figure it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2drive View Post
i dont remember the exact codes. and the plugs were changed about 2 weeks ago. put ngk plugs in, thought that would fix it because the previous owner had american plugs in it, but after a day the light was back on and flashing. yes the rear bank plugs were changed.

this is the second time the mechanic has had the car. this time going on 3 days and he still cant figure it out.
without the exact codes, i cant help, maybe someone else can
without knowing WHAT ngk plug was installed, same thing. and, it dont matter who made the plug, some came with i think champions. our 99 had either champion or motorcraft, i forget which one, and we bought it new. the biggest mistake made on 2.3 plugs is the gap. i only use ngk PZFR5F(3741). this is a platinum tip plug, with .32mm gap. precious metal tipped plugs are NOT regapped. if anyone tells you different, they are WRONG. if you dont believe me, call ngk and ask them. a very common mistake is to install PZFR5F-11. which is identical, EXCEPT, the gap on this plug is 1.1mm(this is what the -11 means, a gap of 1.1mm), way too big, and the coil will kill itself trying to make a spark for this. if the -11 plug was installed, it will miss from the get go, just like yours is doing. a new coil is like 174 bucks, and there are 6. my advice would be to take the car a get it scanned, and write down and post the codes. if your mechanic dont have a scanner capable of pulling the codes, i would pull my car out of there. fast. no codes, cant help you

Last edited by keninn; 12-09-2013 at 07:24 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

i will be picking up the car in the morning. and ill try to find out what type of ngk plugs they were. i will also have the codes for you if you are still willing to help out. i really appreciate everything.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

ok so i picked up the car and got the codes they are
P0300
P0303
P0421
he thinks its the cat from P0421. but suggested i take it to a dealer to run a diagnostic on it. and on the plugs can i just pull one out and look for the numbers?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
You can pull a plug and read the number.

The code for P0303 is the middle cylinder in the back, #3. The problem is either the plug, the coil pack, or the fuel injector.

Swap that plug, then that coil pack with another cylinder, to see if the code moves to a different number for that different cylinder. Then it is going to be that plug or coil pack that you just moved is bad. If you move the plug and coil pack, and the code doesn't move, then it is probably that fuel injector has a bad winding inside and not firing. You can check that with a multimeter. You touch the pins to check for continuity. If no continuity, then the wire winding inside is broken, and you need to change that injector.

For the P0421, search Google for "spark plug non fouler", then do that trick to fix that. Not worth replacing the pre-cats on these cars, it is to expensive. Unless the pre-cat is plugged (which it probably is not) then non fouler the thing.

It could be that you are flooding the pre-cat with fuel from the misfire, and it is throwing the P0421 code, because you are fouling the pre-cat driving around like this.

Forget about the Dealer. If the Dealer changes the plugs, changes the coil packs, and changes the pre-cat. You are looking at thousands of dollars more than the car is worth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 07:06 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2drive View Post
ok so i picked up the car and got the codes they are
P0300
P0303
P0421
he thinks its the cat from P0421. but suggested i take it to a dealer to run a diagnostic on it. and on the plugs can i just pull one out and look for the numbers?
0300 is random miss. i suspect the wrong plugs, or the wrong gap. i think at least 2 cylinders gotta have misfire to get this code. otherwise, it is cyl specific, which 0303 is. i would suspect a bad coil on this cylinder, and if the wrong plugs/gap are in there, more could follow. and, as mazda-fla says, the misfire is probably throwing the 0421 code, because of unburned fuel going thru the precats. this will destroy the precat(s) pretty good. 0421 is specific to the right(rear) bank, as is 0303. this is also the bank that is the pain to get to. which again makes me suspect the rear bank plugs were never changed, or the wrong plugs/gap are in there. because the rear bank plugs/coils are such a pain to get at, what i would do is first check the front bank plugs. if they are correct, then i would pull the front bank plugs and coils. then i would pull the rear bank plugs/coils, make sure the plugs are correct and new, and if so, then put the front bank plugs/coils on the rear, and rear on the front. make sure you mark the #3 coil, so you will know where it is on the front. at the same time, ohm your injectors, to be sure #3 ohm's good. bad injectors are starting to show up because the cars are so old, but bad/wrong plugs and bad coils are way more common. however, i also gotta know if you are capable of doing this work yourself. if not, get rid of the car now. and dont take it to the dealer, like mazda-fla said, they will charge you more than it is worth, and probably still not fix it. and i would still lose the "mechanic". his advice to take it to the dealer absolutely sucks, and his lack of knowledge of why the car is throwing these codes tells me he should go back to changing tires, cause he has no diagnostic skills.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Thanks keninn and mazda-fla.
i was wrong. they are not ngk plugs. they are Denso PKJ20CR8 gaped at like .25mm
i re gaped them to .35mm, only the front 3 though, not sure if im comfortable doing the ones in the back. but with just the 3 being re gaped it is already running better. so im guessing that with the other 3 being re gaped and changed to the right ngk's it will be ok. but thats coming from someone who doesnt know much haha. what do you guys think.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

also curious about this. when i took off the front intercooler to get to the coil packs and plugs i noticed very small amounts of oil in the tubing for the intercooler. not sure but i dont think thats good. what you guys think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page