post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:15 PM
MazdaWorld Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 Mazda Millenia View Post
Thanks Luroc,

I am leaning towards a bad diode, but want to be sure before going through the trouble of replacing the alternator.

Here is some testing that can be done to try and help out....

Good luck!

Luroc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luroc View Post
Here is some testing that can be done to try and help out....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x0o4-bNCvY&t=24s

Good luck!

Luroc
Thanks Luroc,

Update: I changed out the alternator (bad diodes). Of course, that didn't solve the issue. I tested all the relays ST Cut Relay, Fuel Relay, and Main Relay. All tested good. Only way to cut car off and get the lights out on the dash is by pulling the engine fuse. I downloaded a wiring diagram of the millenia. Which led me to check the relays. I also checked the fans relays to see if they were bad. They tested good. I am leaning towards bad ground but don't know. I check the two grounds that is tied the negative side of the battery. I cleaned them and re-attached them. Any one have an idea of anymore grounds! I am completely stomped!!! I don't think it is the PCM because the car does crank. Just can't get it to cut off with the ignition.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 04:59 PM
MazdaWorld Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Thanks Luroc,

Update: I changed out the alternator (bad diodes). Of course, that didn't solve the issue. I tested all the relays ST Cut Relay, Fuel Relay, and Main Relay. All tested good. Only way to cut car off and get the lights out on the dash is by pulling the engine fuse. I downloaded a wiring diagram of the millenia. Which led me to check the relays. I also checked the fans relays to see if they were bad. They tested good. I am leaning towards bad ground but don't know. I check the two grounds that is tied the negative side of the battery. I cleaned them and re-attached them. Any one have an idea of anymore grounds! I am completely stomped!!! I don't think it is the PCM because the car does crank. Just can't get it to cut off with the ignition.

Hey Man,

I found this thread, it may be worth to Read! https://forums.mazdaworld.org/100-mil...urn-off-4.html

Good luck!

Luroc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Luroc for the link.

I think i found my parasitic drain. I did the amp test. When I pulled the middle connector (beside the gray one; has red wires coming from it) above the fuses. The amps dropped drastically. I don't know what that connector is or what it connects to. Do anyone know? So three things I can do to cut it off; pull the yellow relay, the engine fuse, and now the connector above the fuses.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 09:14 AM
MazdaWorld Member

Cool

Quote:

Thanks Luroc for the link.

I think i found my parasitic drain. I did the amp test. When I pulled the middle connector (beside the gray one; has red wires coming from it) above the fuses. The amps dropped drastically. I don't know what that connector is or what it connects to. Do anyone know? So three things I can do to cut it off; pull the yellow relay, the engine fuse, and now the connector above the fuses.

Here you go Sir! You can download the Wiring diagram for 1996 and up models! (Scroll down to the KL-Engine control sections). You will see the (X-04) Connector, you may have to zoom in to really see it. Page 27- 28. It's the dark gray connector. It goes from F1 (front harness) to EM (Emissions harness) connector on the pcm. Looks like it does a lot with the fuel pump relay and main relay, also the same connector ties into the distributor as well.

milleniatech.net - Documentation

Let us know how it turns out.

Good Luck!

Luroc
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 07:10 PM
MazdaWorld Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Not sure where you are with this, but once my 95 Millenia 2.5 wouldnt' shut off. Discovered that while checking fuses under the dashboard, I'd inadvertently put one of the fuses back in the wrong spot. Car wouldn't turn off. Days later, I remembered that I'd been monkeying with the fuses and tried changing them around. That fixed it and car shut down normally.

About to do an alternator change out on my 200k Millenia tomorrow. Good luck.

1995 Millenia 2.5L
208,600 mi.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mill-ness View Post
Not sure where you are with this, but once my 95 Millenia 2.5 wouldnt' shut off. Discovered that while checking fuses under the dashboard, I'd inadvertently put one of the fuses back in the wrong spot. Car wouldn't turn off. Days later, I remembered that I'd been monkeying with the fuses and tried changing them around. That fixed it and car shut down normally.

About to do an alternator change out on my 200k Millenia tomorrow. Good luck.
Thanks Mill-ness,

I didn't mess with the fuses. All the fuses are in working order. It only cuts off if i pull the EGI main relay or the engine fuse under the dash. I believe it will cut off if I put the middle of the three relay under the fuse box under the hood.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luroc View Post
Here you go Sir! You can download the Wiring diagram for 1996 and up models! (Scroll down to the KL-Engine control sections). You will see the (X-04) Connector, you may have to zoom in to really see it. Page 27- 28. It's the dark gray connector. It goes from F1 (front harness) to EM (Emissions harness) connector on the pcm. Looks like it does a lot with the fuel pump relay and main relay, also the same connector ties into the distributor as well.

milleniatech.net - Documentation

Let us know how it turns out.

Good Luck!

Luroc
Luroc,

I tried another test. I pulled the wire off the alternator and the car didn't cut off. I pulled the engine fuse with the car off, but dash lights on and the cooling fans came on. When I put it back in, the cooling fans cut off. Almost tempting to take it to dealer. Car starts fine, just that it will not cut off. When running, it runs fine. No dash lights, no codes but P1000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page