2000 Milly S 2.3L, - bad idle below 2000 RPM, dies when I put it in drive or reverse - Mazda Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Unhappy 2000 Milly S 2.3L, - bad idle below 2000 RPM, dies when I put it in drive or reverse

Hello all, I believe I'm having the nefarious vacuum issue with my Millenia. I just had it at the shop for emissions back in May 2017 and it had a few misfires going on, but ran fine. I took it home and checked around the engine, and found the large black rubber "boot" a the front right (driver side) of the engine was completely torn, but the car still ran so I just duct-taped it up as best I could for now.

Suddenly mid-summer it started sputtering when the engine was warmed up, usually when switching gears, and then a week or so ago it finally started dying. Had to tow it home from work, as it won't stay running when I put it into drive or reverse anymore. So I believe it's vacuum-related due to all the threads here with similar issues and fixes. It's got 160,000 miles on it exactly as of time of death.

So as I dig into the vacuum tubes and tees to try and fix it, I'd like to replace that black intake boot, or maybe it's called a mass air boot? I don't know what it's called to order a new part, and hope someone can help with the proper name or part number.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 09:06 AM
MazdaWorld Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredTheDragon View Post
Hello all, I believe I'm having the nefarious vacuum issue with my Millenia. I just had it at the shop for emissions back in May 2017 and it had a few misfires going on, but ran fine. I took it home and checked around the engine, and found the large black rubber "boot" a the front right (driver side) of the engine was completely torn, but the car still ran so I just duct-taped it up as best I could for now.

Suddenly mid-summer it started sputtering when the engine was warmed up, usually when switching gears, and then a week or so ago it finally started dying. Had to tow it home from work, as it won't stay running when I put it into drive or reverse anymore. So I believe it's vacuum-related due to all the threads here with similar issues and fixes. It's got 160,000 miles on it exactly as of time of death.

So as I dig into the vacuum tubes and tees to try and fix it, I'd like to replace that black intake boot, or maybe it's called a mass air boot? I don't know what it's called to order a new part, and hope someone can help with the proper name or part number.
Hi JaredThe Dragon,

Mazda calls it a "Duct". O.E.M. Part#: KJ01-13-221 and it lists for $34.75(usd) plus shipping. I replaced one on my 1995 S model as well, I also replaced this small intake boot as well. ---> Resonator Grommet - Mazda (KJ01-13-245) and lists for $5.34 (usd) plus shipping... (this one connects the resonator to the throttle body assembly. = a really nice smooth quiet idle for these miller cycle engines! She just purrs now!!!

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...ItM2wtdjYtZ2Fz

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...ItM2wtdjYtZ2Fz

Good Luck Sir!

Luroc
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks, Luroc! That definitely looks like the right part. Much appreciated.I'm new here and can't post pics yet, but I'm glad you knew what I meant from the description alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 08:47 AM
MazdaWorld Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredTheDragon View Post
Thanks, Luroc! That definitely looks like the right part. Much appreciated.I'm new here and can't post pics yet, but I'm glad you knew what I meant from the description alone.

Hi JaredTheDragon,

Any updates on how she's idling now after replacement of said new o.e.m. intake boots...?

Just checking in.

Thanks

Luroc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page