Help, Can't read my Millenia S - Mazda Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Help, Can't read my Millenia S

So i have a 2001 Millenia S 2.3l that i cant get codes from, it has OBDII port and have tested with several different readers, including Autel MD802, and some Delphi that connects to via usb to a computer, (+some cheap ones) they work flawlessly with all other cars but cant connect to my millenia S.

OBDII:
Plugging in a reader gives it power, but no "data connection", having looked at the plug there are 4 pins:
4. chassi ground
5. signal ground
7. ISO9141-2 K-line
16. Battery power.
16 gives 12V, and both grounds are grounded, question is, should there be more pins or does other millenia S have only those 4 aswell?

"OBDI"
Via the Diagnostics port under the hood i get no luck either, i am missing the "FEN" pin som i cannot try it with an LED, i have read that just shorting TEN to ground should give u codes via the check engine light, problem is i have never under any circumstanses seen a check engine light.
Are there induvidual bulbs in the instrumentation cluster?, and how hard/much work are they to replace?

WHY i need to read my millenia is that the engine is running poor, missfire for some reason i'm guessing, especially the idle is unstable.
Replaced all the sparkplugs with new ones with the correct gap, 0.8mm (1.1mm was found fitted), while pulling the sparkpluggs 4 came out looking good, while 2 at the front where "gummed up?"(no change in the engine).
bought 2 used ignition coils from a scrapyard (couldnt find any new ones in europe in stock, and the 2 i found was the only 2 on sale in sweden) did make a differance, engine is now running on maby 5cyl+1 perhapps intermittent, up from 4.
i did pull the front sparkplugs again to have a look at them, and they where all coverd in a light film of "soot?", had previously checked that all front ones where getting fuel.

have a quick video but with poor quality, but cant post links yeat
Would really love some help to get it going during the short summer.
///Kenny

Last edited by CIASWE; 06-24-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Not a whole lot of action here it seems, can atleast someone reading this, with a millenia 2.3 and working OBD2, check how many pins/connections they have in their OBD2 plug, and for extra credit, their position.
///Kenny
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mine is a 2001 Milli S and I can’t get to it right now to count pins, but I bought a generic ELM compatible wireless adapter that I connect to my iPhone and use DashCmd to connect and read codes with no issues. What year is your car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And of course your post stated it is. 2001, (oops) so as soon as I can check mine it should be identical. Ill let you know asap. Hopefully sometime tomorrow. 7/4.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Much appreciated.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 02:03 PM
MazdaWorld Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
sent u a pm.. and maybe it even went thru..

If you are still working this problem, let me know and I'll try my best to lend an assist ..if possible.

Plus I may bounce my own Millenia headaches off you...lol

Ted
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 07:11 PM
MazdaWorld Member

here's some images I took, whether or not you are still working on this or it does any good, I don't know. If nothing else it is an ongoing learning thing for me on attempting to upload images on this forum... not sure I'll figure it out but.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1392.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	9001   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1394.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	9003  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjockey70 View Post
here's some images I took, whether or not you are still working on this or it does any good, I don't know. If nothing else it is an ongoing learning thing for me on attempting to upload images on this forum... not sure I'll figure it out but.....
You appear to only have the 4 pins aswell, just like me, question is if there's something wrong with the ECU then or some cable break in there.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 07:48 PM
MazdaWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIASWE View Post
You appear to only have the 4 pins aswell, just like me, question is if there's something wrong with the ECU then or some cable break in there.
I am not sure what you mean by having "4 pins" but if I have mechanical aptitude (and some days are better than others) it sure isn't in the electrical/electronic/solid-state ...'spark chasing' type of stuff.

Sounds like your Millenia is hating you .... don't I know it

Ted
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjockey70 View Post
I am not sure what you mean by having "4 pins" but if I have mechanical aptitude (and some days are better than others) it sure isn't in the electrical/electronic/solid-state ...'spark chasing' type of stuff.

Sounds like your Millenia is hating you .... don't I know it

Ted
"Pins" might be the wrong word to use( English isn't my native language after all), but in the picture you posted of the OBDII port in the car, only 4 of the holes have any metall in them and thus the only ones capable of carrying power/voltage/signals what you might call it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page